Gransnet forums

Technology

What smartphone shall I get?

(30 Posts)
Gagagran Thu 12-Feb-15 20:57:55

After a weekend visit from 10 year-old DGD, when she ably demonstrated her Samsung Galaxy smartphone I have come to the conclusion that I really must take the plunge and upgrade from my very old, very small Nokia phone which I use for texting and the occasional call.

The trouble is when I start reading reviews etc. online as I really don't know what to go for and end up totally confused.

What I want is: Mainly to text - with qwerty keyboard
Internet access
Occasional phone calls
Camera

I shan't download films, music or games.

Do I go for a contract or pay as you go? What should I expect to pay? (as little as possible). Can anyone recommend a phone which fits my requirements?

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 10-Jun-15 19:17:36

I think people only feel they have to have I-phones because it makes them seem cool and "with it"! grin I don't believe there is often any real need.

(Hard hat on)

loopylou Wed 10-Jun-15 19:24:35

Me? ^ 'With it'^?
That'll be the day grin I'm a technophobe.
I felt the same but when ancient Nokia expired I thought I'd try one and I have to say that I like it. Especially when I can take photos and send them without the palaver of loading them onto the laptop etc because you can attach them to a text as well.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 10-Jun-15 19:26:13

Yes. The photos thing does tempt me a bit.

annodomini Wed 10-Jun-15 19:27:31

Mine's a Motorola which I bought separately from the Virgin sim card (contract £9 monthly). Very reliable and not as bulky as the bigger Samsung Android phones. I've spotted this model in Tesco on a very reasonable contract.