Gransnet forums

Technology

HELP - COMPUTER ADVICE

(29 Posts)
gangy5 Mon 16-Feb-15 11:50:29

At the moment I have a desktop which now needs replacing and am wondering whether to continue on the same lines or get a laptop. I have alot of projects on the go and feel comfortable with a desktop and feel that as I print alot also it would probably be the best thing. It seems that desktops are becoming a thing of the past and that I'm being rather 'old fashioned' to stick with the same thing.
What would be your choice?

Elegran Sun 01-Mar-15 12:07:55

I have checked my settings, and I do have pop-ups banned, but Photobucket must have particularly virulent ones. It covered part of the screen and would not go away, which I reckon is more than a bit off, it is piracy. The ad should vanish once you have seen it.

Rider Sun 01-Mar-15 12:41:48

Working on it Elegran.

I don't think Desktop computers will become a thing of the past any time soon gangy5. Many still prefer them (including me). I think it's good that people have the choice between laptops, tablets, desktop and now even 'phaplets' (for those on the go). I hadn't heard of phablets either. I thought I was buying a smartphone. These now do so much more than just make phone calls that they are almost like a small tablet, hence the term 'phablet'. smile. They have their place I suppose.

If you are happy using a Desktop computer, I'd say there's no reason not to get another. With some of the tablets becoming less and less expensive, many people now have a Desktop computer and a tablet ..or a Desktop computer and a laptop. All can be useful at different times.

For just the choice of one though, I'd personally go for a Desktop computer.

gangy5 Mon 16-Mar-15 20:05:22

Thank you again for your latest comments. My old computer is still trundling along and I'll put up with it a little longer. Haven't yet decided what it will be!! It seems opinions are a little divided but perhaps more in favour of a laptop!