Gransnet forums

Technology

Windows 10

(39 Posts)
Elegran Wed 17-Jun-15 11:29:43

Well, I have reserved my (free) Windows 10 upgrade. It will be downloaded automatically on/after July 29th, and I will receive an email telling me it is there to be installed.

I hope it comes up to the hype. At least I can change my mind and not install it, it won't automatically replace Windows 7 (which I don't like particularly, but I have got used to it.).

Pittcity Thu 27-Aug-15 09:55:48

feetlebaum horrendous was the wrong word to use I think. W 8.1 works with a touch screen I think but we have all got used to the Start menu on all previous Windows incarnations and so the big changes made by 8 took a lot of getting used to. 10 has taken the best of both and gone back to a more intuitive format that can work with both touchscreens and keyboard/mouse devices. I think it is a big improvement.

feetlebaum Thu 27-Aug-15 09:09:57

@Charleygirl - I don't think OneNote 'comes with' anything. You have to download it if you want it. (I had never heard of it until now.) Admittedly I don't use MS Office (prefer LibreOffice) but I've had no problems printing from 8.0 or 8.1.

@Pittcity - What is so 'horrendous' about W 8.1? I've been very happy with it, thank you. It's like a cleaned-up, faster version of W 7. Mind you I've never been fond of the W 7 Start Menu...

Happy4me Wed 26-Aug-15 22:34:07

Since my attempt to download Windows 10 my pc man added another programme on my pc to check just in case and guess what I have to use it often now as pc now gets other stuff in it because of updates during downloading Windows 10.
Advanced Care 8 does the trick ... try it yourselves as it WORKS ... smile

Indinana Mon 24-Aug-15 18:05:34

With apologies to people who don't like links - I'm not overly keen on them myself, but it's not easy for me to paraphrase the information in this article. I've yet to upgrade to Windows 10, and after reading this article, I'm even less sure that I want to.

this makes interesting reading

Rider Mon 17-Aug-15 17:23:57

I think a Mac can be more reliable as regards updates because the computer was made By Apple using Apple approved hardware, the operating system is Apple and the installed programs are mostly Apple. In other words, Apple knows what they are upgrading and what hardware is running the computers.

Microsoft don't have control of what the upgrade is being installed on. It has to work on all combinations of hardware and installed software. There may also be faults present on a new or old computer. I don't think an upgrade can sometimes cater for all of the factors that might be present. This could be why the Windows 10 upgrade works properly for some people but not others. A clean installation perhaps stands a better chance of working correctly if the hassle of doing that can be faced ..or if someone is willing to do this for you.

As said in an earlier post, Macs are not without their update and other problems A search of the Internet can prove that. They are also not a cheaper option because, if the Windows 10 upgrade can be installed successfully, it will cost nothing ...except perhaps for hiring some help if that proves necessary.

A good alternative is Linux. This is really cheap. Zero cost in fact (unless hired help is needed). Linux systems come with many core programs pre-installed and work pretty well in my opinion. Ubuntu or Linux Mint are probably the ones most like a Windows operating system.

Windows 10 is what we're all talking about now because so many people are going through a major upgrade. Let's face it though. All computers can give problems, no matter what the platform. It's the just nature of them. They are technical devices trying their best to be household items. This doesn't always work.

rosesarered Mon 17-Aug-15 14:36:49

Just got new computer home, they loaded Windows10 and all the security, Word etc onto it, and all working perfectly and quickly, what a relief.
Look forward to using it now.smile

railman Mon 17-Aug-15 14:00:48

I'm with AshTree ..... it's cheaper in the end to buy a Mac, whether it's an iMac, Macbook, or iPad.

When I think of the time I've wasted waiting for something to happen, update, re-install, reboot in safe mode, or a full re-install from the original discs .... !

Yup - buy a Mac

railman Mon 17-Aug-15 13:57:11

To anyone considering Windows 10, I would suggest you wait until they've issued all the patches, fixes and service updates before installing.

12Michael Mon 17-Aug-15 07:44:59

One thing I did find was unless you get download screen going from windows XP,7, 8 or 8.1 is your security software during the stage of trying to get 10 , what had happened my computer was open to viruses ,and unless you do a scan these will remain in your computer such as a Trojan.
I did a full scan on Microsoft security essentials which detected to unknown sources such as a Trojan.
As to doing other Microsoft updates in that area , when searching for updates , the Windows 10 is already ticked to download I now ensure each update for security , it is unticked so I can update the one I want.

Happy4me Fri 14-Aug-15 13:01:52

After my previous attempt to download Windows 10 my pc man had to download 2 site cleaners to remove all the extras on board acquired with so many updates and my broadband went for that day too.

Windows 10 was persisting in downloading even after I cancelled my reservation and download irrespectively still stopping short at final stage quoting fault yet is says my pc is fully equipped for Windows 10.

Shades of big brother watching you now as they have their icon on board and know relative email and you cannot remove the icon which seems to do what it wants basically.

Am not bothered enough to want Window 10 now

Rider Thu 13-Aug-15 21:50:47

Hello NotTooOld - Windows 8.1 will be supported by Microsoft for a good while yet. Have a look at Microsoft's 'Windows lifecycle fact sheet':

windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Regarding Windows 10: Nvidia released a new driver for their graphics cards, so I am back with Windows 10 to see what difference it makes. The answer is none. It still has the same niggles as the last time I tried it. Not major problems but they didn't occur in Windows 8.1.

* A game the family like to play crashes upon opening.
* CorelDraw's menu bar has white captions on a while background.
* Games Apps from the Windows Store are too wide when maximised (about half an inch of the App goes off the edge of the screen).

NotTooOld Thu 13-Aug-15 19:28:45

I've just about got used to 8.1. I hated it for ages but now I'm reluctant to download 10 in case it takes me as long again to get used to it. However, I've been told that all the old Windows operating systems will fairly soon be disappearing so do we actually have much choice?

I've just about got used to 8.1. I hated it for ages but now I'm reluctant to download 10 in case it takes me as long again to get used to it. However, I've been told that all the old Windows operating systems will fairly soon be disappearing so do we actually have much choice?

Luckygirl Thu 13-Aug-15 18:28:35

My OH (the computer expert/nerd/obsessive in this joint!) says he plans to wait till all the problems have been sussed and then download it.

annsixty Thu 13-Aug-15 18:14:09

Mick that is all a foreign language to me. I have windows 7 and I think it will do all I need.

12Michael Thu 13-Aug-15 18:05:35

I have recently got back onto this forum , I tried to download the Free Windows 10, which I had started on Tuesday 4th , having seen the screen say 25% recovering files and folders , it suddenly went quirky a blank monitor ,and my desktop was showing the blue light flashing, this continued right through until Sunday.
What did I do:
1: I switched off the computer on the mains for a good 10 minutes, this after several attempts no change.
2: On a switch back on the motherboard screen ASUS showed I pressed the F2 button , which showed the CPU screen , I then did F8 for boot.
3: This produced a blue screen saying going back the original version in my case windows 7, after several days of the blue screen showing restart with a clockwise circle movement on screen.
4: This morning early it went into the next phase, then went to a blank screen, I then repeated what I had done earlier by switching of the at the mains.
5: After the second showing of the ASUS motherboard page I went to the Boot symbol on the lower part of the screen , this was booting the computer without the need of the original Windows disc.
6: This after about 5 minutes or so stated it was taking me back to Windows 7 , I entered my password and then came straight on line.
Other tips for you taken from a PC advisor magazine article on Windows 10.
You need the following a Processor of 1Ghz or faster.
Ram 1GB for 32 bit or 2GB for 64 bit.
Hard disk Space 16GB for 32 and 20GB for 64
graphics card Direct X or later
Display 1024 x 600 pixels or higher.
Mick

Rider Wed 12-Aug-15 16:44:13

I've just gone back to using Windows 8.1 (Desktop computer) after using Windows 10 for a while. Windows 8.1 runs some aspects of the programs I like to use better. This might be a graphics card driver problem and I'll try again with Windows 10 at a future date, perhaps when Nvidia have released a few driver updates.

Pittcity Tue 11-Aug-15 19:03:07

I have a very old laptop, Happy , built for WindowsXP is on the sticker. I bought it reconditioned with Windows 7 loaded and had no problem uploading 10. Had to delete a rogue network driver that installed itself and messed with my wifi connection - Google to the rescue again.

Must say it looks pretty but I will never use the new features and have disabled a lot of them. Windows 7 is just as good I think. I recommend the upgrade from the horrendous 8.1 though.

Charleygirl Tue 11-Aug-15 18:56:02

Has that ghastly OneNote come with Windows 10? I cannot print a letter because of it on Windows 8.1.

rosesarered Tue 11-Aug-15 18:43:29

Just bought a new computer this afternoon, and they will load Windows 10 and all the security and other gubbins on it for us, so hopefully it will all work wonderfully.the iPad is ok, very useful, but will be nice to have a working computer again.Although we have replaced all else, keyboard, printer, monster, mouse etc the actual computer is Windows XP, so very old.

Gagagran Tue 11-Aug-15 15:57:13

I downloaded Windows 10 onto my desk top yesterday with no problems so far. Not quite sure what all the new gubbins do but so far so good. I'll get used to it in due course I'm sure even though I'll probably never use half the functions.

Happy4me Tue 11-Aug-15 15:29:53

My latest experience with the big promise Windows 10 ... well like everyone else I reserved it so when my turn arrived it began but nothing happened over and over again ... the windows icon gives clues ... eventually today must be 2 weeks later I actually watched Windows 10 kick in but in last stages it stopped as laptop crashed !

I started Windows 10 download several times today but still the same problem in final stages as laptop crashes and when I restart allowing time it recovers Window 7 again each time. It gets past accepting terms stage then begins downloading files then pc crashes.

I have theory ... for all Microsoft's good intention it may well be a very affective way of keeping tabs on everyone as I doubt many will actually get Windows 10 fully unless they have modern pc's or tablets or phones.

It says on my windows updates it has tried to upgrade my Windows 7 more then 12 times since the announcement so they must have quite a bit of stuff already on board ?

Does not say how you uninstall all the extras acquired by Windows 10 efforts.

newist Tue 04-Aug-15 16:41:09

I am at present downloading windows 10, its 2,712.g MB, I started at 1.35pm, so far its 71% done, fingers crossed it all goes to plan.

Pittcity Thu 30-Jul-15 19:51:20

One new feature that is worrying people re. security is WiFi Sense, which shares your home wifi automatically with Facebook friends & email contacts if they happen to come around.
As most people would happily give friends their wifi password if they were sitting in the same room and this system encrypts the access I cannot see how it can be any more of a security threat than anything else on the internet. If a hacker wants to get in to your computer they will.
WiFi sense can easily be disabled in WiFi settings.