Gransnet forums

Technology

Are smart meters safe?

(29 Posts)
Charleygirl Mon 31-Aug-15 11:34:32

I would love to have one for the same reason that jingls husband may use it! Something in this house is eating up electricity- I am not certain if it is this machine, washing machine or dishwasher.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 31-Aug-15 11:21:49

Huffington Post agrees with me

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 31-Aug-15 11:13:36

I can't see any way they could affect your health. No different to communicating on a computer - which we do plenty of!

I would like one. No more muddy footprints from meter readers traipsing in, or having to read the numbers myself to send to supplier. BUT I can imagine DH would be forever on his knees in front of it to see just how much leccie I am using to boil my egg, or do the washing. hmm

Do not believe silly scare stories on the I-net. smile

fluttERBY123 Mon 31-Aug-15 10:33:48

Hub had a cold call from our energy supplier and on the spot said, yes they could come in and install a smart meter. On the day I was out and chap came. In the middle of it our son arrived and had a fit as he said they were a health hazard ( google smart meters/health). We were likely to get headaches etc.

Anyway, forgot about it for a few days and then yesterday realised I did have faint permanent headache - so googled and a lot of stuff there. We would never have had it installed if we had seen all that before.

Commiserations etc welcome. Thinking of asking them to take it out or on Which it says you can convert it to a dumb meter- might be the way to go.
Does anyone else have one?