Gransnet forums

Technology

Avast

(18 Posts)
Anne58 Tue 15-Sep-15 18:38:53

I have used Avast anti virus on my desk top PC for ages and been very happy with it.

Mr P suggested that I install some sort of security/anti virus system on the hudl, so I went for Avast again.

It also had a "battery saver" option, which I decided to try.

So far so good! And it's free! smile

Has anyone else tried it?

Luckygirl Tue 15-Sep-15 18:52:42

OH says just steer clear of McAfee (?sp).

Lona Tue 15-Sep-15 18:57:38

When I took my first (faulty) Hudl back, the Tesco techies took the McAfee off it and said the Hudl didn't need it! Don't know why. I was asking lots of questions so I might have forgotten the answer!hmm

Ana Tue 15-Sep-15 19:21:05

We always had McAfee at work, no problems.

I stick with Norton myself - I know you have to pay, but it's only about 45p a week!

Anne58 Tue 15-Sep-15 19:30:57

I first tried Avast on the recommendation of the senior techie when I was still at mystery shoppers, our techie here rates it too, uses it on all his personal equipment.

Anne58 Tue 15-Sep-15 19:32:21

Oh dear, that looks a bit suspect!

merlotgran Tue 15-Sep-15 19:38:38

If he uses it on his personal equipment, phoenix, does it cause him to greet you all in nautical terms?

Anne58 Tue 15-Sep-15 19:53:49

Well no, but he does sometimes have a rather rolling gait!

rosesarered Tue 15-Sep-15 20:27:11

Am a bit disappointed Phoenix, as I too thought the Avast thing was going to be a nautical Devon tale.

kittylester Tue 15-Sep-15 20:42:21

We have Avast on all our devices!

kittylester Tue 15-Sep-15 20:44:05

We have Avast on all our devices!

NfkDumpling Tue 15-Sep-15 20:44:34

I changed to McAfee when my nerdy SiL told me Norton used too much memory. But that was years ago when computers had less memory capacity (a bit like me now). I'm happy with McAfee, but as it renews automatically inertia is a considerable influence.

grannylyn65 Tue 15-Sep-15 20:45:21

Will get it immediately, could do a bit of naughty !

merlotgran Tue 15-Sep-15 20:47:18

I have McAfee and haven't had any problems.

Anne58 Wed 16-Sep-15 09:20:01

Sorry to disappoint, roses I suppose it IS quite a rare event for me to start a thread on a non frivolous topic! grin

No doubt I will be back to my old daft ways before too long!

feetlebaum Wed 16-Sep-15 13:28:32

I have used Avast - nowadays it's Macafee, plus Macrium Reflect for regular image backups.

Rider Sat 19-Sep-15 07:43:57

The trouble is how can it be known how good an AV program is at detecting viruses? When someone says their computer has been OK, it might only be because the AV program hasn't come across any viruses to put its detection capabilities to the test.

In view of this, perhaps also take into account the results published by AV program testing companies. Programs are to the test by throwing a number of viruses at them that we probably haven't (but could) come across to see if they are detected and blocked. Also tested is how well programs do against unknown malware where no definite protection has been issued yet (called 'zero day' infections).

Some programs definitely do better than others at protection according to tests and it might be best to take the results into account as well as taking note of personal recommendations. Here are recent results published by a couple of companies that are well-known in security circles:

AV-Test
AV-Comparatives

Avast does well but others do a little better.

Lona Mon 21-Sep-15 15:02:57

phoenix I was in Tesco this morning and spotted a friendly Techy, so I asked him about security on the Hudl.
He said that getting a virus on a tablet is quite rare, so all a decent anti-virus would do is slow down the Hudl. He said its better to have none than to use MacAfee as its rubbish! (Even though Tesco sell it!)

smile