Gransnet forums

Technology

Call apparently made from my line?

(25 Posts)
AlieOxon Fri 25-Sep-15 14:59:42

I have just been informing BT that I am going back to my maiden name....and came across an unexplained call on my June bill.
For nearly £4, a 39-minute call.........to - guess who?
I checked online.
The Lancashire Unison Retired Members Newsletter. Uh?

I have no connection currently with Lancashire, nor with Unison...
And I've just argued with a BT customer services man for about 15 minutes about this call.
All he could say was 'I am 100% certain this call was made from your phone'. I hung up.

Does anyone have a similar experience and was it sorted?
Can you explain how this happens?
What do I do?
(That is, apart from checking all my bills at the time very carefully for a repeat!)

Elegran Fri 25-Sep-15 15:15:50

btplc.com/Thegroup/RegulatoryandPublicaffairs/Codeofpractice/CustomerComplaintsCode/index.htm tells you how to proceed with a complaint (or in your case, a complaint about a complaint)

Tell them that you too are 100% certain that you did not spend 39 minutes on this call, and that it is not so much the £4 as the principle that your phone has somehow been got at and they are not believing you.

Is there any way you can get confirmation from the newsletter that you are not a subscriber?

Mind you, is there any way anyone else could have been in the house on that date and phoned? Better get your facts straight before going off the deep end.

janerowena Fri 25-Sep-15 15:18:21

Two of my neighbours have just had similar problems, their lines had been hooked up to each other. Call your own number, and see if someone else answers - that was how they found out.

Elegran Fri 25-Sep-15 15:20:09

Lancashire Unison website. lancashireunison.org/

AlieOxon Fri 25-Sep-15 15:40:37

I'm not hooked up to a neighbour.

Yes there was a visitor on that day - but I would definitely have known if she made a 39 minute call!

I am waiting for a response to an email I have sent to the man whose phone number this is in the Unison Newsletter!

Elegran Fri 25-Sep-15 15:53:53

She would have known if you did, too.

AlieOxon Fri 25-Sep-15 16:06:34

Yes. But I don't know what time of day this call was supposed to be.

AlieOxon Fri 25-Sep-15 16:11:21

I think I will go for the complaints link Elegran. Will wait a bit to see if I hear anything from Lancashire but perhaps it's unlikely.....

Ana Fri 25-Sep-15 16:25:26

My BT bills (both paper and online) give both the date and time of all calls made, Alie. Are you sure the time isn't shown on your list?

AlieOxon Fri 25-Sep-15 16:51:01

Oh. It does. 17.37....but it doesn't tell me anything new......only visitor would have gone by then....

Have I an alter ego who is a retired Unison Member??????

(I am assuming that the n/l is free, since I can read it. It's boring.)

This is SO annoying. I am struggling to tell loads of companies that I have changed my name and every one brings up something else to do!
And I have paid far too much for my automatically renewed car insurance because I didn't read the thing properly....

And I haven't yet found my driving licence!

whenim64 Fri 25-Sep-15 16:54:22

Phone companies aren't infallible. I went on holiday and came back to find my number had been given to a new customer on the next road. After I got it back they offered me £10 compensation and added it to my bill instead of deducting it. angry

AlieOxon Fri 25-Sep-15 17:04:16

You know, when I first got my phone at this address, BT wouldn't tell my my own number? Crazy. I was phoning from there, huh?
I had to ring my mobile and get the number off that!

....Why do I stay with them? Well so far it's been because if something goes wrong with the broadband, it's free to phone them!

tiggypiro Fri 25-Sep-15 17:43:07

This happened to my mother a few years ago. I always checked her bills and noticed some very unusual calls. They were made at about 1am to a premium rate number in response to a Channel 5 quiz. On so many levels I knew my mother had not made the calls. She was 98, lived alone, went to bed at 8pm and did not even know there was a Channel 5 never mind respond to a late night quiz.
BT said she must have made the calls or someone else in the house had done so because it was impossible for a mistake like that to be made.
It took quite some time before they agreed to deduct the charges from her bill and only then as a 'goodwill gesture' and could never tell me how it happened. They would never accept that there was a problem with their system somewhere.

M0nica Fri 25-Sep-15 18:37:44

We had this problem 40 years ago, so not much progress since then.

MamaCaz Fri 25-Sep-15 19:03:29

AlieOxon: I don't suppose you remember seeing any BT (Outreach?) vans near your house around the date of the call, do you? When this happened to us several years ago we remembered seeing someone working on the nearest telegraph pole around that time, and are absolutely sure that our wire must have been crossed with a neighbour's for a period of time. BT took some convincing that we'd never made any calls to Ireland though!

AlieOxon Fri 25-Sep-15 19:24:22

I don't remember any vans, no, but sometime this year - I couldn't get nearer than that - there was someone up a pole....I think!
Thing is it is now 3 months ago...but I shall complain.

There are various stories online about similar things happening with the exact same reaction from BT.

MamaCaz Fri 25-Sep-15 19:42:08

If you don't get anywhere with BT, I would consider contacting your local MP. An acquaintance of mine had a huge problem with BT last year - his line, which is absolutely crucial to his business and livelihood, was down, and BT were coming up with one excuse after another to do nothing about it. It was only when he got our MP involved that BT finally stopped playing silly beggars and sorted things out.

AlieOxon Fri 25-Sep-15 19:46:52

Ok, I will remember that.

annodomini Fri 25-Sep-15 20:28:16

Tell them you are thinking of changing your provider. They are far too complacent.

AlieOxon Fri 25-Sep-15 21:00:09

Yeah, maybe!

AlieOxon Sat 26-Sep-15 08:08:10

New information this morning. via a Gransnet pm.
The identification of the call number was a complete red herring..not wrong, just a complete misdirection to an archive.....

I did make a call, to a gransnetter who offered help, and has actually connected my grumbles here to her number!

Thank you everyone. This does mean that I will check my BT bills very carefully in future, because I have learned that they do make mistakes
and are unwilling to admit them.

And the phone call was very much worth it.

AlieOxon Sat 26-Sep-15 12:17:19

I feel as if I should apologise - sorry. But I thought I was being badly done to as well!

nanapug Sat 26-Sep-15 12:35:11

My cousin, a vicar, had premium rate calls on his bill that were sex related!! It turns out his painter and decorator was using the phone!!

Icyalittle Sat 26-Sep-15 22:11:41

Just one more thought Allie - check that you don't have a month in which to change your mind about your automatically-renewed insurance. I did: actually, having noticed it, I let it renew because I didn't have time to check out alternatives when I got the renewal notification, but set myself a reminder for a week later to do so, and saved myself £200!

AlieOxon Thu 01-Oct-15 15:09:41

Icy - this proved a little difficult in that I had to keep ringing the AA and I HATE voice menus - and I HATE having to hold and being advertised at, a captive on the end of the phone....

I got £156.46 off. I told them I might not stay with them next time, and she said I could get a reminder by post and not have it automatically renewed.
So I could go back to Saga then and see if they still have a nice low price.