Gransnet forums

Technology

How long does an I pad last?

(30 Posts)
Atqui Fri 18-Mar-16 11:27:57

I have an Ipad 2 , which I bought about 2 or 3 years ago. I now have to charge it every day and even then the battery runs down really quickly. I dont play music, films,or games ¬ mainly GN , the web and Facetime occassionally. Has anyone else found this problem. Ive started to put it on airplane mode when i leave it.

Jenty61 Sat 30-Apr-16 14:50:05

re the battery life on an ipad a lot of people forget to close down apps after using them so in effect the apps are still running in the background...
to close an app just slide upwards ...this will prolong the life of the battery so it doesnt run down too quickly

Tizliz Tue 12-Apr-16 10:45:45

luckylegs9 don't worry about this unless it happens constantly. It is caused by your ISP and should resolve itself. If it keeps on happening then it is your ipad and you might have to remove your email account and start again - but you will lose your stored emails so make sure you have backed up everything first.

I have had to do this with my iMac this week and Apple talked me through it, took a long time as they backed up my data and reloaded it. Works perfectly now. I cannot praise their customer service enough as this iMac is 4 years old and well out of warranty but there was no charge for their help.

As someone said at the beginning of this thread you can book a slot at one of their shops and they will look at it free of charge. Think I might do this with my iPad as it is tired and sloppy.

Anya Tue 12-Apr-16 07:44:04

TalkTalk are rubbish. I doubt if you'll get any satisfaction from them.

Set up a new email with gmail instead. It's free and simple.

This iPad is on its last legs too. I'm looking at replacing it soon. Won't go for anything from Apple again as its too limiting.

Luckylegs9 Tue 12-Apr-16 07:22:45

Hope someone on here can help me. A few days ago when going into e mails a pop bar came up saying "your user name or password is not recognised, press ok or settings" well I pressed ok, same bar came up, pressed settings everything was right including the same password I have had since buying the I pad over 3 years ago now. Contacted TalkTalk, a nightmare to deal with, they have put the problem to technical department so don't know if I will get e mail back. Does this mean that the I pad is broken and I need a new one, or can I do something else, perhaps a new password or something to sort it out. Many thanks.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 04-Apr-16 12:34:44

My son has always told me to never let the battery go down below fifty percent.

Ooh heck! It's on 45 now!

Anniel Mon 04-Apr-16 11:57:38

Maybe you leave it on when you are not using it for a long time in the day. I found that if I switched my iPad off if I was going out, the charge lasted longer. My iPhone lasts days without charging. I love it!

Mamie Thu 24-Mar-16 13:43:35

I have just replaced my four-year-old iPad 2 with an iPad mini 4. The battery was starting to go, but mostly I just liked the idea of one that was lighter and easy to pop in my handbag. Am very pleased with it so far; lovely clear screen and it is gold and very pretty. I just downloaded everything from the iCloud back-up and it was easy, though took quite a long time with our creaky French broadband.

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 24-Mar-16 13:07:33

I've got a vintage iPad grin It's the first one they released six years ago. The battery dies very quickly, the apps crash sometimes and I can't update them, nor can I download new apps. I also can't update the software... It's a bit rubbish really.

Treecycler Thu 24-Mar-16 12:37:23

To increase battery life, I have tried this, and it did seem to speed things up a bit...... Although whether battery life increased, not sure. However, here it is: Firstly you delete your email address in the systems section, then add it back in again. Apparently this stops it caching a huge amount of emails which it has been storing up since you put it on (or so the tip I read said). I also did this with some memory heavy apps I had such as Bloglovin, and Pinterest. All you do when you reinstall them is to put in your email address, and your password for the app, so keep these handy. You will also need your email password when you do the email install. Hope this helps.

I do think the new operating systems they keep having us install, eventually become too much for the old iPads. But mine is an iPad Air and is still going, and I am an iPad addict! ?

NathalieMartin Thu 24-Mar-16 12:23:14

I've had mine for about 3 years now. I only ever use it to browse the internet and even then it struggles. Personally I've been disappointed with the performance of my iPad, and the battery seems to deplete very quickly.

It's a shame, because I love my iPhone and wouldn't be interested in switching any time in the future.

Leticia Sun 20-Mar-16 18:31:59

Mine is 4 yrs old and still updates...... So far...........

Purpledaffodil Sun 20-Mar-16 11:18:02

I had the typical battery problem with my iPhone 5. Almost replaced whole phone, then had battery replaced for £40 and phone is as good as new. Very tempting to go down the replacement route, but not always necessary. Sorry Mr Apple. grin

Thingmajig Sun 20-Mar-16 10:55:23

Chloe, just make sure to do a sync with itunes on your pc before buying a new ipad ... then all your stuff will transfer automatically to the new one when you connect it.

I had my almost new ipod stolen a few days before going on an exotic holiday (needing it for the flight and beach hours!) and dreaded having to load all my music etc onto a replacement, but it was so easy, and done in minutes.

Anya Sun 20-Mar-16 09:09:53

My mobile was slowing up and having similar problems to my iPad. I downloaded a 'cleaning' app for the mobile which (I think) clears away bits of unnecessary junk etc. One app (Fitbit) was draining the battery as it kept turning on and off, so that's been sorted too.

Now my mobile (using android technology) runs quickly, smoothly and doesn't crash any more. There's more memory as unneeded caches have been cleared out.

I tried to find something similar to clean up my iPad, which keeps crashing, sticking, freezing, losing power, etc...but apparently Apple don't have such an app. hmm pity!

Humbertbear Sun 20-Mar-16 09:01:12

Apple shop will do a new battery. Last time it cost £80. If your iPad needs a more expensive repair they will offer a reconditioned iPad . That is a new case with reconditioned parts inside for the same price.
We all expect these things to last forever but they don't. When I was at work I was issued a new laptop every 3 years. My own 6 year old laptop is really struggling now.
It also depends on what you want to do on your iPad. My old one was very slow and stopped allowing me to cut and paste so I gave it to my husband and bought a new one after being told that it was unreparable. The old one is still usable a year on and is perfectly adequate for what he uses it for.
The younger generation don't expect these pieces of equipment to last. They are perfectly happy with built in obsolescence.

NfkDumpling Sun 20-Mar-16 07:33:29

Thank you All

Mine is four, maybe five years old and does the same tricks as Chloe's. I too had assumed I'd worn it out and was looking to buy new. I think I'll make an appointment at the Apple shop and see what they can do - but after the new one comes out so I can get that if necessary.

(I've never used the Cloud as I'd have to ask and don't like to show just how very stupid I am!)

Atqui Sat 19-Mar-16 18:44:40

Thanks everyone . Perhaps Imshould go into the Apple shop . I've just checked and mine is nearly 4 years old

Indinana Fri 18-Mar-16 20:18:27

Leticia my old iPad was unable to update to new software long before it was 5 years old. More like 3 or 3.5 years. It is still on IOS 5.1.1 and can go no further shock. The latest version is IOS 9.2.1.

NanaandGrampy Fri 18-Mar-16 20:10:25

If you go into your nearest Apple Store ( make an appt online for their Genius Bar) they will look at it for you and tweak any settings to be sure you're getting the best from your device.

It's free of charge.

I also know that when it was all about iPods if you went in for a battery problem if it was just 'old age' they would get you a new one for £40 . I don't know if they have anything similar for iPads but worth asking.

Leticia Fri 18-Mar-16 19:31:16

I asked in the Apple shop and the answer was indefinitely but it will get slower. When they get to 5yrs they are classed as 'vintage' and may not support new software.

Treebee Fri 18-Mar-16 19:16:01

Mine's 4 years old and is slower, crashes sometimes and when I switch it right off it takes an age to come back on again. I think I've worn it out, I use it so much!
I've heard a new version is due out soon and I intend to buy one.
Chloe, if your contacts and photos are backed up to the cloud they will transfer easily.

chloe1984 Fri 18-Mar-16 14:40:56

My ipad is five years old whilst I haven't had any trouble with it holding a charge it does freeze,is slow to respond ,just cuts out and leaves a blank screen which takes a couple of minutes to reset. Also will not play candy crush and sometimes gets confused when I touch the Facebook app Gransnet opens . Not sure why it is happening I do use it a lot so am off to buy an iPad mini after Easter on the understanding that I have had good value from it.But just thought it would last longer .Just hope John Lewis can explain how I transfer all my contacts,photos ,apps etc.

Indinana Fri 18-Mar-16 14:19:34

an

Indinana Fri 18-Mar-16 14:19:06

I have one of the original ones, nearly 6 years old, and it's fine, no problem with the battery at all. Only problem is that it won't accept software updates so I can no longer download any apps, as they nearly all need the latest IOS. Which is why I was so pleased to win a. IPsd mini on GN smile

mollie Fri 18-Mar-16 12:58:50

Mine's 3 years old and I've noticed it's sometimes slow to respond but otherwise it's OK. I charge it often but then I seem to be on it all the time so I'm not surprised.