Gransnet forums

Technology

computer problems

(9 Posts)
etheltbags1 Mon 18-Apr-16 09:59:03

no Pompa, too difficult, Im not to bright where computers are concerned.

pompa Sat 16-Apr-16 07:57:36

Certainly treat a re-install as a last resort, even if you are experienced and have planned well, it is a pain waiting for all the updates that have occurred since your system was created and re-installing all your applications.
If you do re-install, consider making an image backup as soon as you have updated and installed your basic applications. This will enable you to return to that clean basic installation very quickly at any time.
If you have an old PC, I would encourage anyone to have a go at installing a virgin operating system. Provide you have created your system discs as you were advised to do (you did do that ?) , it is a straight forward process.
Simply take your time, read the screens that come up and follow the text. If unsure about the choices offered, you won't go far wrong by accepting the defaults, Depending on your system it can take an hour or two, but is easy enough, nothing to be frightened of.

Having a nice clean virgin operating system is a lovely feeling, like re-decorating the whole house.

etheltbags1 Fri 15-Apr-16 19:04:41

Many thanks, I have just removed three toolbars which I didn't need, I didn't see them as they were hidden but I shall look in future. I am now about to download the programmes that Pompa recommended, then I will try re-installing like Oldkranky said then as Michael said I will try switching off. I may not be on this site again (I may go up in a blue light) if there is a big bang so thank you all for the suggestions smile

michel55 Fri 15-Apr-16 10:57:16

hello,
there is also a possibility that's not your laptop which is the problem ....
you don't say if you are connected to the internet or not , but I think you need to check your internet connection and also your router the main box you get your internet from ... and try this.... take the power supply connection out wait 3 minutes and then replug it then switch on your laptop it should work better Also check how many people are using your internet connection and if you have not done use a password to connect to the internet if you have one allready it should secured on your connection .
good luck
Michel

oldkranky Fri 15-Apr-16 10:39:57

Hi - Re: your laptop slowing down.
When did you last have a complete re-install? I personally do a back-up of data etc
that I want to keep and do a complete re-install every six months or so.
Over time the registery and hard drive fill up with "clutter" that is almost impossible to find and remove. A complete re-install more often than not solves a lot of
"slow machine " problems. Be aware - plan your re-install - make sure you have saved your essential data and pics. Have a list of progs for loading and the passwords you need. With a laptop make sure the battery is fully charged before
the re-install.

Joelsnan Tue 12-Apr-16 12:33:19

Often these symptoms are caused by the inadvertent downloading of unnecessary toolbars which then conflict and cause annoying slowness. Check what toolbars are installed. Ideally you should only have one, Microsoft etc. However you may find Google, Bing and others have crept in delete or disable these and you should find an improvement in responsiveness.
Regular housekeeping I.e. Deleting browsing history, defragging and removing programs no longer used also help.

pompa Tue 12-Apr-16 11:27:19

Hi Ethelbags1.

Download and run these two free programmes. (assuming you have a windows PC) Make sure you choose the free versions

Malwarebytes and Slimcleaner

These will remove any malware that is slowing your system and remove unwanted files left over from various sources. This will take about an hour.
Follow this with a complete defrag.

www.malwarebytes.org/trial/

slimcleaner.com/

goose1964 Tue 12-Apr-16 10:40:24

have you defraged the hard drive ? that can speed things up (just click on your help menu & enter defrag)

etheltbags1 Tue 12-Apr-16 10:34:32

my laptop is 4 years old and recently I have found it so very slow but the most annoying thing is when it fails to respond, Im clicking away and nothing happens, Ive tried several times to get on here today. It seems to work ok after its been on a while, maybe it needs to warm up (like the old radios). I would take it to a shop but its not always like this and I would look a fool if it worked ok then. Ive removed lots of stuff so there is memory free. I just cant fathom it out.
Has anyone else had this problem. My last one died when it had a virus and the shop couldn't fix it.