Gransnet forums

Technology

Disabling my laptop.

(11 Posts)
Tizliz Sat 16-Apr-16 22:31:26

Have a look on the list of programmes and Google any you don't recognise, then you may find a programme he has added and you can delete it. Such a shame when family relationships break down.

rubylady Sat 16-Apr-16 22:23:26

Thank you for your help though, he's a wizz kid on computers, in his blood from his dad and brought up with them. I'm not.

rubylady Sat 16-Apr-16 22:22:22

It's ok, it's back on on my new one. He's just come home, thrown a fit and asked to take it upstairs to fix it, very suspicious. Funny how he could get onto it quickly and yet I've tried from yesterday and nothing.

He has said before about controlling it from his pc so when he has calmed down I will have to have it out with him. It's like when he controls my tele with his phone. It feels like I am being taken over all the time with no opinion or life of my own, hence me looking forward to him leaving in some way.

Elegran Sat 16-Apr-16 22:19:26

Turn it right off, at the plug as well, wait a few minutes then turn it all back on again and try again. That works when mine is being awkward.

NanaandGrampy Sat 16-Apr-16 22:13:10

How computer savvy is he?

He could definitely have installed something on your laptop that would allow him to control it from his PC. Its how techs remotely fix laptops when they have problems on remote sites.

The question is would he really think that's acceptable behaviour? If so he needs the riot act read to him in my opinion.

Is it just the internet your laptop will not connect to? What windows system are you using? I'm not a whiz but will try to help .

Tizliz Sat 16-Apr-16 22:10:41

Do you know how to go into the Internet settings? He might have just taken it off line there. To control your PC from his he would have to have downloaded an app on your laptop. Do you have it password protected?

rubylady Sat 16-Apr-16 22:05:48

It's the one I normally use to be on here, this one is from ages ago. I've had my new one over 6 months and use it every day.

tanith Sat 16-Apr-16 22:01:04

Sorry I just reread your post and you are online on an old laptop blush I don't think he could disable your laptop with his PC.. have you connected your new laptop before ? Or is it brand new?

rubylady Sat 16-Apr-16 22:01:01

No, it's up and flashing and this laptop wouldn't work then, would it?

tanith Sat 16-Apr-16 21:59:00

Could be he's unplugged or switched off your router rubylady. Can you check and plug it back in?

rubylady Sat 16-Apr-16 21:56:37

I have suspicion that my son has disabled my laptop as he is mad with me that I won't buy him a motorbike and he's gone to a friend's for the weekend, sulking.

He has a big p c, is it possible for him to disable my laptop from his so that I can't get onto the internet?

I'm on an old laptop, which connected no trouble but my new one just won't connect no matter what I do.