Gransnet forums

Technology

Does this item even exist now?

(14 Posts)
gettingonabit Sun 03-Jul-16 16:39:10

I've had to buy a new telly in a hurry. Turns out that it doesn't have a slot for a dvd connection. I'm gutted-I've bought Line of Duty Series One and nothing to watch it on. Grrr..

So-is it impossible to watch a DVD now? Am I really that far behind?

GandTea Sun 03-Jul-16 16:44:24

Surly it has an HDMI socket ? or an optical input socket. Most DVD players will connect with one of those.

gettingonabit Sun 03-Jul-16 16:54:22

Thanks gandtea but I haven't a clue what those things are. I am unbelievably thick in these mattersblush...

At the moment it's connected to a Playstation thingy which I watch iplayer and Prime on. Should I disconnect it and stick a dvd connection in instead?

(my old telly had a separate slot for the dvd player).

Alima Sun 03-Jul-16 16:57:37

Just in case, could you watch DVDs on your PC or laptop?

jusnoneed Sun 03-Jul-16 17:04:15

We recently changed our tv and had to buy a HDMI cable to link in the dvd player. They are about £10 (some cheaper) and I bought mine in Asda. Just plug it in the dvd player and into the back of the telly. Google HDMI cable and you can see what they are, just a different fitting on the ends, loads of places to get them.

hildajenniJ Sun 03-Jul-16 17:07:39

Would the cable for the PlayStation thingy not fit into your DVR player? Assuming you have one of course, since your old telly had a DVD player built in?

ninathenana Sun 03-Jul-16 17:26:58

S says you can watch DVD through the playstation. By putting the disc in the same slot as you would the game disc.

mumofmadboys Sun 03-Jul-16 17:37:29

I agree with nina- you can watch a DVD using the play station.

GandTea Sun 03-Jul-16 17:48:54

Look at your instructions. Look for an HDMI socket, most TV's theses days have several, any one will do. These days, if the plug fits the socket it will usually work. DVD players will have either or both hdmi or optical outputs, the plugs for these are totally different and cannot be confused.

I suspect you will find at least 2 hdmi sockets, labeled HDMI1 and HDMI2. On your TV you will be able to select these as the inputs.

If you do not have a DVD player, your laptop can also be connected to your TV with an HDMI cable and dvd's played via your laptop.

GandTea Sun 03-Jul-16 17:49:59

Yes, I am also advised by those that know (kids) that DVDs can be played via your PS.

annodomini Sun 03-Jul-16 18:40:30

My old DVD player works with my Smart TV with an extension cable that I found, tried and it worked!

gettingonabit Sun 03-Jul-16 19:49:16

Thanks all. I'm going to try the Ps option first.

gettingonabit Tue 05-Jul-16 20:04:23

Yay! I'm in! On the PS. Thanks all.

Newquay Tue 05-Jul-16 21:07:17

Oh how I larfed reading all of this. . . . ?
So glad your thingy is now working. . . .whatever it is. . . .