Gransnet forums

Technology

Spoof emails

(6 Posts)
morethan2 Fri 22-Jul-16 15:19:46

I keep getting what I can only describe as spoof emails on my iPad. They look like sites I've visited but really poor copies of the original. What worries me is the feeling of being watched
( they obviously know the sites I visit ) and two how secure are my passwords and my details. I don't do Internet banking but I do buy things on line using my card. Anyone throw on any light on what's occurring and how I get rid of these emails and stop them following me. Thanks ps don't get to technical I'm not that technically bright

GandTea Fri 22-Jul-16 21:51:06

It's not clear what you mean. Are these emails being sent to you, or pop up adverts. If thy are emails, set them as spam and block the sender. If they are adverts, read this :-

www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iosapps/how-use-ad-blockers-in-ios-9-but-why-you-shouldnt-3627089/

GandTea Fri 22-Jul-16 21:53:23

Every time you click on an advert that click is recorded and used to determine which ads to send you next.

jevive73 Fri 22-Jul-16 22:46:51

Dont know about ipad but i have avast anti virus to keep viruses off my hudl and cc cleaner to remove cookies

morethan2 Sat 23-Jul-16 06:57:27

Thanks allGranTea they are emails sent to my hotmail. How to I set them to spam/ block sender. Can I do this on an iPad ? See told you I was a dim technophobe

Anya Sat 23-Jul-16 07:57:51

If the are spam they will usually go to your spam folder. Just delete them without opening them then..

Set up another email address, I suggest gmail. Only give this address to your nearest and dearest, your bank and other trusted institutions. Keep the other one for buying online and keep just deleting the spoof emails without opening them.

I trust you have good anti-virus installed?