Gransnet forums

Technology

Recognizing an external drive.

(4 Posts)
Howjado Sun 28-Aug-16 00:04:50

Thanks for the replies. I followed the link and got it to work.
Ta.

Casawan Fri 26-Aug-16 16:46:24

My PC stopped recognising my phone too, after a recent update. It does come up though as 'unrecognised device' right at the bottom of the list under 'this PC' or similar. For some reason even that did not work until I'd done that old standby solution of unplugging the phone from the PC, switching off and restarting both. No idea why it happened but probably something to do with the Windows update.

NanaMacGeek Fri 26-Aug-16 13:11:53

Unless your aging laptop is also an Apple machine, I don't think you will be able to get it to recognise your iPhone as an external drive because they use different operating systems and your pc simply won't see the iPhone as a useable storage device. iTunes acts as a translator between Windows and Apple's operating systems. You can use iTunes to add photos to your iPone though. I attach a link below.

www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/mobile-phone/how-put-photos-on-iphone-or-ipad-3449827/

Howjado Thu 25-Aug-16 17:49:18

Can any one help please? On my aging laptop I click on "Computer" in the menu section and all the drives come up, e.g Local Disc(C)and DVD Drive(D) plus any memory stick I may have plugged into a USB port. I usually plug my iphone into a USB port to transfer photos to my laptop but the iPhone is not showing as being connected. However the laptop is opening iTunes and the iphone is there and being synced. How can I force the pc to show the iphone as an external drive?