Gransnet forums

Technology

Roku streaming device

(5 Posts)
Luckygirl Sun 29-Jan-17 10:41:16

We have one of these and use it to watch up on stuff that we miss living our real lives!

I have two questions for you techies out there:
- can we use it on a TV (well actually a projector onto a big screen) in another room?
- how do we pay for films that we might want to watch?

Thanks for your help.

Signed
Untechy Lady

Luckygirl Sun 29-Jan-17 10:41:30

"catch up"!

Izabella Sun 29-Jan-17 11:18:52

I would suggest you contact Roku direct.

NanaMacGeek Sun 29-Jan-17 12:52:38

I use a Roku 2, it's connected to my older Samsung TV and turns it into a "smart" TV, but I sometimes want to use it on my kitchen TV, so unplug it from the living room TV and plug it into the TV in the kitchen. The Roku connects to your wireless network in the house and translates the internet stream it receives so that it can be shown on a TV screen. The connection between the Roku and the TV is a physical cable and you can't really get round this. So you can move your Roku and plug it into your projector (as long as you have the right cables between your projector and the Roku - if you have HDMI cable input on your projector, you'll have no trouble), but you can't stream data from your Roku to another room. As to setting up a subscription to an app such as Netflix (I’ve used Netflix as an example because that's what I use) on the Roku, you need to connect to Netflix via a computer and set up a subscription to the service, you will have to set up a user name and password. You will need to give your credit card details to do this and the money will be taken off your card (for Netflix, this is monthly). Once you have completed this, leave your computer alone and go to your TV and open your Roku and select the Netflix App on your Roku. There will be a set-up menu in which you will need to enter your Netflix user name and password. It's tedious on a TV to do this because you probably aren't able to use a keyboard so have to use the on-screen alphabetical selector, but you only have to do it once. Then you will be able to watch Netflix films (or whatever subscription app you choose). Many use these types of services successfully so have a go!

Luckygirl Sun 29-Jan-17 13:13:18

A NanaGeek - just what I needed! Many thanks indeed!