Gransnet forums

Technology

Windows 10

(4 Posts)
Stansgran Fri 21-Apr-17 13:38:41

Does anyone know how to send a change of email address to all in their contacts list without clicking on each address separately?
We are on fsnet and have to change.weeve had the email address for years. Very tiresome.

Stansgran Fri 21-Apr-17 13:39:23

We've not weeve

NanaMacGeek Fri 21-Apr-17 18:24:30

This has happened to me too, although I have been using a better email provider for some time, I haven't closed my old account. There are quite a few things to take into account when changing email providers.

Firstly, it is good practice to send out emails to large numbers of people by putting your own email address in the "To" field and then adding a blind copy - "BCC" field where you put in all the contact addresses. This means that all your recipients do not see the enail address of everyone else, just their own and yours.

However, you should be aware that if you try to send out large numbers of emails in this way, I think you may fall foul of the anti-spam rules and find that a temporary limit is imposed on you pretty quickly. You may end up having to send them out only a few at a time anyway.

I think you have until the end of May until fsnet is closed down. The letter advising you about this suggests you set up something similar to an "Out of Office" email where anyone contacting you on fsnet will get an automated reply. Your message could say that fsnet is closing and add your new email address. At least anyone contacting you before the end of May will be told of your new address. That may mean you don't have too many to contact when the servers are shut down.

If you have any fsnet emails that you must keep, make sure you have them saved on your PC or forward them to your new email address.

One other nuisance I've encountered is that your online identity is usually linked to your email address. Where you have to login to a website, you usually have to add your email address and password. All these accounts will need amending too. It's worse if you have set up your PC to "Remember login details". You will find it difficult to get access to these accounts if you don't change your email address before fsnet closes.

Fun isn't it! It's a pity email providers can't switch for you like banks and energy providers but then you'd have to pay for it! Best of luck.

jillyco Fri 21-Apr-17 21:06:43

I would set up your new email address first - if it is gmail, then there are instructions on how to import your contacts to this:
ee.co.uk/help/mobile-and-home-connections/broadband-gallery-mobile-broadband/email/email-closure?intcam=ON_EE_NA_Orange_email_closure_webmaillink-2017-03-16#gmail

You can then email everyone from your gmail account by sending one email to yourself and 'bcc' all your contacts for confidentiality purposes so that everybody knows your new address, as mentioned in the previous post.

I have had an 'fsmail' account for many years but stopped using it as my main email address quite a while ago as I found it very restrictive compared with gmail, yahoo, outlook etc, which are far more user friendly and their apps can be used on tablets, phones etc which the old orange emails never could.

Good luck!