Gransnet forums

Technology

Printing pictures help

(9 Posts)
mollie Fri 12-May-17 15:30:02

Anyone with IT know-how who could point me in the right direction please? Digital pictures look great on a screen but come out very dark if printed. I'm not sure which bit of the process needs adjusting or how!

Ta muchly...

Marydoll Fri 12-May-17 16:10:40

Mollie, do you have software, which allows you to edit your photos? In my LEA, schools used a free program/App, called IRFANVIEW, which allowed us to manipulate and edit photos for leaflets, brochures, website etc. It worked fine and was great for resizing, rotating, lightening and sharpening photos.

www.irfanview.com/

mollie Fri 12-May-17 16:25:32

Thanks Marydoll. I'll take a look at this software. The only question is how do I alter something that already looks good on a screen but not in print?

Marydoll Fri 12-May-17 16:38:23

Hi Mollie,

Found this explanation. It does seem a bit complicated and probably needs a bit of research.
It seems Irfanview does have a facility to sort this. I have had a quick look, but nothing jumps out at me.

www.colourphil.co.uk/prints-appear-dark.shtml

mollie Fri 12-May-17 16:43:32

Marydoll, thank you! This is just what I need - I wasn't sure if the problem was the printer or the display but now I know! Thank you again...I'll let you know if my twiddling is successful. smile

jollyg Sat 13-May-17 13:43:27

Hope this prog works.

If you areusing a laptop It depends on the angle of the screen.

Using a desktop, you are looking straight at the screen.

Calibrating the screen is explained there. Different papers/inks give differing results

Sometimes it is cheaper in terms of frustration to down load the images to a dedicated on line shop

NanaandGrampy Sat 13-May-17 19:40:48

It could also be your printer settings. There is usually a true colour setting which might need ticking.

Also if you are not using original inks but compatible ones then that can alter the print colours too .

Coolgran65 Sun 14-May-17 00:00:20

I find it easiest to copy the photographs onto a memory stick and take them to the local stationery/office shop which has a printing machine. The pics come out accurate and beautifully professional for about 30p a copy.
With the benefit of well versed staff to help if there is a question.

mollie Sun 14-May-17 08:30:52

The printer is new and inks appropriate so really I want to use it for the purpose it was intended. If I have a special picture I'll keep the other option in mind though. These print shops have many more options than a domestic printer don't they... it's just frustrating to see a perfect picture on screen but get an imperfect print. I'm going to give everything a go...smile