Gransnet forums

Technology

What apps would you recommend ?

(61 Posts)
NanKate Sat 25-Nov-17 08:11:14

I now realise how easy it is to download an app.

Today I downloaded BBC Sport asI discovered yesterday I could watch The Davis Cup live from here even though the BBC does not advertise this anywhere.

The National Trust is a good app to have too so that if you are on hols you can look up local places of interest to visit.

Over to you.

NanKate Sun 03-Dec-17 17:10:26

Thanks Rascal

rascal Thu 30-Nov-17 23:36:41

Hello NanKate Yes all of the apps are free. I would never pay for apps. The Calm one is Mindfulness and Meditation. I think some of the content can be paid for but there are other Mindfulness apps that all of the content is free.

NanKate Thu 30-Nov-17 19:22:26

Rascal are these free apps ? Can you tell me about the Calm one ? T U.

rascal Thu 30-Nov-17 14:37:02

I have a long list of good apps I can recommend for an Android mobile phone. I will list a few and will be happy to list more if anyone is interested;
Adult maths, Ask nhs, Aurora-watch, Avast mobile, avg cleaner, Bbc Bitesize, Brain age test, Brain training, Braininhand, British hills, Butterfly memory game, Calm, Car check, Car tax checker, Cardiograph, ccleaner, CheckYourHearing, Cleanmaster, Coeliac map, Coeliac uk, Coeliac uk food checker, Colour balls game, Colour blind check, Colour note, Colour blind test, Companies house, Curiosity, Daily mail online, Deezer, DVLA Road Tax & Mot, Earth, Earth online, Clevate, Elevmaps, Basic English grammar, Practice English grammar. (more to follow if required.)

I have a virtual reality cardboard that my mobile phone slips into. You can watch virtual reality apps through it. It is lovely to see. Here are some of the virtual reality apps;
Aquarium VR, Balloons VR, Cardboard VR, Caribbean VR, Cherry blossom VR, Fantastic Voyage VR, FireFly VR, Fish Schooling, Fulldrive VR, Full drive VR tube, GoVR Player, Kittens VR, Lanterns for google VR, Mountain VR, Nature daydream VR. (more to follow if required.)
All the above apps can be downloaded from Google Play Store for Android phones. smile

hildajenniJ Mon 27-Nov-17 16:06:45

I have BBC Weather, Netflix, Phases of the Moon, a Scrabble app and a sudoku app.
I deleted Facebook as my account was hacked.

SueDoku Mon 27-Nov-17 13:13:04

Mysupermarket is really useful. You can look up an item and see what price it is in all the major supermarkets.
Does away with all the tramping round to see what's on special offer...unless you enjoy that sort of thing :-)

kittylester Mon 27-Nov-17 12:41:12

I had toilet finder. It wasn't much help round here as there are very few.sad

NanKate Mon 27-Nov-17 11:34:04

Toilet Finder now on my IPhone BRILLIANT. flowers

maddy629 Mon 27-Nov-17 11:19:43

The most used app I have on my iPhone is the one that does not let my phone ring when I am driving, very useful.

Bathsheba Mon 27-Nov-17 07:39:34

Lona wow, Toilet Finder! Thanks, now installed on my iPhone. The time we've wasted driving round desperately looking for a toilet when out and about!

NanKate Mon 27-Nov-17 07:15:17

Thank you SkyandBlossom I have just set up Radioplayer and it is fab, I have just listed all my favourite stations. Very easy to navigate the site.

NanKate Sun 26-Nov-17 23:07:34

I am happy Diddy1 that you and many others on this thread are enjoying seeing the apps we all use. I shall be adding a lot of them tomorrow to my IPad.

I like Sudoku and a Crossword app for when I am in a cafe on my own and need a little light entertainment ?

mrsmopp Sun 26-Nov-17 23:01:12

Solitaire, Ancestry, Google earth, Crosswords, Codewords, Sudoku, Word Jewells, Words with Friends, and Kindle.
Oh and TV catchup. QVC.

Skyandblossom Sun 26-Nov-17 21:06:15

Besides the ones mentioned, I like Radioplayer (plays any radio channel), Amazon, Audible (plays audio books), and TopCashback.

Crafting Sun 26-Nov-17 18:48:36

Toilet Finder .... there is an app for that!! Why didn't I know about it? I can't go more than 100 yards without needing one blush. Thanks Lona

mrswoo Sun 26-Nov-17 18:43:47

BBC iPlayer radio is really worth having. There’s a huge selection of documentaries - I’ve listened to some absolute gems while passing the time on Pinterest or doing a jigsaw. I’ve got a jigsaw app from Mobilityware - don’t know what the actual name of it is but it’s brilliant.

Day6 Sun 26-Nov-17 15:25:13

WhatsApp, SkyScanner (for plane tracking and arrivals etc.) Trainline, BBC News, all the terrestrial TV apps, weather, maps, Sudoku, Solitaire, Jigsaws (for any moments I am waiting or on journeys) Amazon, Kindle, a bright torch, a pedometer, Pay Pal, Touchnote, and graphics and drawing apps on my PC.

Diddy1 Sun 26-Nov-17 15:01:19

One of the best threads we have had for ages, thank you Nan Kate

Lona Sun 26-Nov-17 14:28:23

There's also a useful app called Toilet Finder, great for those of us who need to know where the nearest one is! ?

Helen369 Sun 26-Nov-17 14:28:18

My favourite app. is Lifecake. Family members can view photos and videos of my little granddaughter and we can comment and add to them as we wish. They’re all chronologically stored and it’s a wonderful record of her life. So many of her relations live overseas and this makes them feel part of her life more.

Cambia Sun 26-Nov-17 14:00:20

Shopping List is my most used one. I use it for a to do list and to jot down what I need so whenever I find myself in a supermarket or in town, I know what I need!

jimmyRFU Sun 26-Nov-17 13:55:40

I use apps that are good for where I am on holiday.
Walking apps that record the route, length etc.
Calendar
Classic FM
Family history app.
There are so many out there, but I always make sure they are free before I use them.

Pittcity Sun 26-Nov-17 13:21:37

Bathsheba it was a joke!

Cubagran Sun 26-Nov-17 11:56:10

BBC Sport (to keep up with the rugby), BBC News, BBC weather, Kindle, Facebook, Solitaire, Kakuro, Flight radar (so I can identify planes overhead!), Mumsnet, Spotify, Shazam, CoPilot satnav, Amazon, a local taxi app. Some on phone and some on Kindle tablet.

Bathsheba Sun 26-Nov-17 11:47:12

did we need to take encyclopedias, maps, torches, record and book collections with us when we went out in the past
No, that's true, we didn't 'need' to, and we don't 'need' to now. But we can. And now if I pop in for a coffee anywhere on my own and don't have my book/Kindle with me, I can open the app on my phone and read. In the past I would have popped in somewhere and wasted money on a magazine.
I guess I also don't 'need' a food mixer or a soup maker or a steam mop or dozens of other things I've got in my house, but they are rather nice to have smile

Oh and to answer the OP - I am totally addicted to WordBrain, and my GC love all the pre-school games and educational apps I have for them.