Gransnet forums

Technology

So many plugs and wires.

(15 Posts)
ajanela Thu 04-Jan-18 07:37:16

All this wonderful technology but where do I plug it in? I am writing this sitting in bed and I look around my large bedroom which I also use as a study and look at all the wires and plugs. There are 4 wall sockets and each one has an extension in with up to 5 sockets. To my left I have plugged in bedside lamp, landline phone, electric blanket, tablet and mobile phone charging, I need to unplug something to use my electric manicure set,or epilady, hair dryer or the latest hot brush I was given for Christmas. My kindle is abandoned as I now have an app on my iPad.,

I have a tv, with aerial and Now tv box, laptop, with printer, wifi modem, desk lamp, electric tooth brush charger, electric radiator, occasionally used in winter but in summer I have an electric fan and mosquito plug in which needs a wall plug as it has to be upright so no extension lead there.

In the kitchen I am not so techno but have an electric kettle, toaster, oven, dishwasher, one hob ring, and fridge but my best tools are a variety of sharp knifes and a potato peeler,

I won't bore you with listing all the other electric devices we have as my point is what happens in a power cut. My mobile Phone is useless if not charged and although not a great user why do I panic if I have to do a short journey without my phone? How did I have the courage 20 years ago to drive across Europe phoneless?

Stayed with my daughter at Christmas, her internet signal is so weak, we had to resort to playing board games and talking to one another and enjoying DGS doing magic tricks and taking the dog for walks. Great Christmas.

My point is are we too dependent on electricity and so many wires and plugs.

illtellhim Thu 04-Jan-18 07:53:11

Yes, I know. Great isn't it?

varian Thu 04-Jan-18 08:00:14

When I was a small child I think we had an iron, a radio and a phone (because of my father's work) . Later we got a washing machine and a hoover, then a tv to watch the coronation. We didn't have a fridge till I was in my teens.

Eglantine21 Thu 04-Jan-18 08:01:52

And the sockets are never in the right place!

Auntieflo Thu 04-Jan-18 08:11:28

So, I would like to know, why are things labelled as 'wireless' when they are attached to long bits of electrical string?

Pittcity Thu 04-Jan-18 08:52:57

We have just packed our extra Christmas multiplugs away with a ac sigh of relief.
I noticed that when we had our TV box replaced recently the engineer reused the existing power wiring and so didn't need to delve through the tangled mass behind the TV.

Nelliemoser Thu 04-Jan-18 09:03:00

It's a b nightmare. Phones and tablets charging all around us these days.

Greyduster Thu 04-Jan-18 09:10:04

We had to replace both our freesat box and our DVD player before Christmas and I said to the man who connected the Freesat box I hoped he could find his way through the horrible jumble of wires behind our TV set. He said it as as nothing compared with some! I couldn't imagine that. But needs must. We are so relentlessly shackled to technology now that a world without it is almost unthinkable for most. When we were on holiday this year in the depths of mid Wales, the internet signal was almost non existent, and every time it rained, which it did, often, the tv signal dropped out too. DH most frustrated man on the planet that week!

midgey Thu 04-Jan-18 10:07:53

Golly, imagine a Christmas when you had to talk, you must have had a great time! My worry with all the extensions is fire!

ajanela Thu 04-Jan-18 11:01:29

Yes, now I try to buy good quality extensions

Auntiflo, yes wireless is the last thing I would call it.

ajanela Thu 04-Jan-18 11:03:27

I forget to mention all those beeps and bells and electronic tunes that drive me mad.

Fennel Thu 04-Jan-18 11:18:53

plugs and wires - husband used to be a TV engineer and has an obsession with this kind of thing.
Because we're moving house he has at last decided to get rid of a lot of it. 2 or 3 boxes to take to the 'tip' tomorrow.
I agree, ajanela, we're too dependent on electrics/electronics.
If there was a world-wide electricity breakdown the whole business and banking world would be in panic.

ajanela Fri 05-Jan-18 00:54:44

Without electricity we would all be in a panic.

i think we are loosing skills due to machines. I had to relearn how to lay a wood fire when we had a fireplace and we had to do that everyday as a child, I bought a special vacuum cleaner to clear the ashes and I got dirtier emptying the machine than using a dustpan and brush to clear the ash.

I limit my kitchen gadgets as it seems more work cleaning the gadget than I saved by using it.

Then there are batteries. I have a gadget for weighing your suitcase before flying and I make about 4 round trips a year. Needed it when returning after Christmas, the battery was flat. It was one of those round flat ones which we don't have a stock of and I didn't realise had so many different sizes. Luckily the one from the kitchen scales fitted. Yes the kitchen scales are electric!

Greyduster Fri 05-Jan-18 06:54:53

I, too, remember having to relearn how to lay a fire when we lived in Ireland in the early seventies. I had thought then that open fires were a thing of the past. No central heating, and we burned peat. Very little in the way of mod cons and no mains gas, so frequent power cuts meant we were stymied a lot of the time, but we survived ?. Now, without electricity, my gas fire wouldn’t even light!

Cherrytree59 Fri 05-Jan-18 10:14:45

You can buy multi charger thingys (note technical name)

I only discovered after having some new sockets fitted that B&Q sell (plug) sockets which have a slot for chargers (another technical term)

So whilst using a double socket you could for instance have a lamp and house phone plugged in whilst charging a mobile and tablet.