Gransnet forums

Technology

drill recommendations

(10 Posts)
gimpy2 Mon 02-Jul-18 15:27:30

The Bosch 12 volt drill driver is one of the best tools I have bought. I own 2 so I always have one close by. I am a pro woodworker and have used these daily for several years. Perfect for most home repairs. Not something you would build a deck with but have used it to do small deck repairs. Enough power to drive a pocket full of long screws and runs for days for small screws. Also love all the bare tools in this line. Bought all my older kids one for Christmas.

Nannarose Wed 02-May-18 22:43:38

I use Ryobi, as they fit in my (small) hand, but I saw the lightweight deWalt in Screwfix, and picked it up - I thought it was great.

KendraFlorence Wed 02-May-18 21:49:37

My husband uses this DeWalt one for years now and it has been serving us well!
www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.max-12v-38-inch-li-ion-cordless-drilldriver.1000665518.html

Situpstraight Mon 16-Apr-18 18:51:23

Our DD is still using my DHs old Black and Decker to install a kitchen, she just wishes it had a longer electrical cord.......

Beattie9 Mon 16-Apr-18 18:29:41

Might be a bit late with this info but was in Toolstation the other day and noticed that they had a lightweight DeWalt 18V combi drill for £119.98.

Depending on how frequently one uses a drill, as well as the types of job it is called upon to do, determines whether to go for an Aldi/Lidl type (which are excellent) or a more 'industrial' version like the DeWalt.

minesaprosecco Thu 22-Mar-18 22:04:38

Thanks! First mini (very mini) project - putting up a curtain rail, which I used to be able to do easily, many moons ago. Hope it's like riding a bikesmile

shysal Thu 22-Mar-18 19:27:00

I had a cordless Bosch but found it wasn't really man enough for some jobs, so when I won some vouchers on GN I bought a mains one which is much more powerful. It was also a Bosch. I also bought a good set of masonry and wood drill bits. I think any model which isn't too heavy and has a hammer drill setting would suit you fine. I am sure the models have changed since my purchase. Have DIY fun!

minesaprosecco Thu 22-Mar-18 19:06:04

Thanks, do you know what model the Bosch one is?

J52 Thu 22-Mar-18 18:40:00

DH has a Makita drill for the serious DIY and a Bosch rechargeable for lightweight use. He researches everything before he buys, so I expect they do the jobs well.

minesaprosecco Thu 22-Mar-18 17:42:59

Not sure if this is in the right place, but does anyone have a recommendation for a good, lightweight combi drill? I want to do some more DIY stuff for myself instead of relying on handymen, but am completely befuddled by the huge range of drills to consider!