Gransnet forums

Technology

drill recommendations

(10 Posts)
minesaprosecco Thu 22-Mar-18 17:42:59

Not sure if this is in the right place, but does anyone have a recommendation for a good, lightweight combi drill? I want to do some more DIY stuff for myself instead of relying on handymen, but am completely befuddled by the huge range of drills to consider!

J52 Thu 22-Mar-18 18:40:00

DH has a Makita drill for the serious DIY and a Bosch rechargeable for lightweight use. He researches everything before he buys, so I expect they do the jobs well.

minesaprosecco Thu 22-Mar-18 19:06:04

Thanks, do you know what model the Bosch one is?

shysal Thu 22-Mar-18 19:27:00

I had a cordless Bosch but found it wasn't really man enough for some jobs, so when I won some vouchers on GN I bought a mains one which is much more powerful. It was also a Bosch. I also bought a good set of masonry and wood drill bits. I think any model which isn't too heavy and has a hammer drill setting would suit you fine. I am sure the models have changed since my purchase. Have DIY fun!

minesaprosecco Thu 22-Mar-18 22:04:38

Thanks! First mini (very mini) project - putting up a curtain rail, which I used to be able to do easily, many moons ago. Hope it's like riding a bikesmile

Beattie9 Mon 16-Apr-18 18:29:41

Might be a bit late with this info but was in Toolstation the other day and noticed that they had a lightweight DeWalt 18V combi drill for £119.98.

Depending on how frequently one uses a drill, as well as the types of job it is called upon to do, determines whether to go for an Aldi/Lidl type (which are excellent) or a more 'industrial' version like the DeWalt.

Situpstraight Mon 16-Apr-18 18:51:23

Our DD is still using my DHs old Black and Decker to install a kitchen, she just wishes it had a longer electrical cord.......

KendraFlorence Wed 02-May-18 21:49:37

My husband uses this DeWalt one for years now and it has been serving us well!
www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.max-12v-38-inch-li-ion-cordless-drilldriver.1000665518.html

Nannarose Wed 02-May-18 22:43:38

I use Ryobi, as they fit in my (small) hand, but I saw the lightweight deWalt in Screwfix, and picked it up - I thought it was great.

gimpy2 Mon 02-Jul-18 15:27:30

The Bosch 12 volt drill driver is one of the best tools I have bought. I own 2 so I always have one close by. I am a pro woodworker and have used these daily for several years. Perfect for most home repairs. Not something you would build a deck with but have used it to do small deck repairs. Enough power to drive a pocket full of long screws and runs for days for small screws. Also love all the bare tools in this line. Bought all my older kids one for Christmas.