Gransnet forums

Technology

Can't open my photos

(8 Posts)
grandtanteJE65 Sun 08-Apr-18 11:14:35

I use Windows 7 and have always been able to open my own photos and other jpg files etc. directly from my photo folder.

However, since an update from Microsoft about three weeks ago, I can only open my photos if I import them to Windows live photo galley. This seems rather a long way round for a shortcut to me.

I tried googling the problem, but none of the few suggestions I found solved the problem.

Any ideas?

NanaMacGeek Sun 08-Apr-18 23:07:01

I really don't know if this will help, I'm not a ‘Windows' person although have come to some sort of truce with Windows 10. It could be that the recent update disabled Autoplay, here is a link to enable it:
itproguru.com/expert/2012/02/how-to-turn-on-or-off-autoplay-features-in-windows-7change-what-programs-and-media-are-used-in-autoplay/

I hope you get some more helpful replies soon.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 11-Apr-18 14:40:43

Thanks Nana, unfortunately it didn't help.

Marydoll Wed 11-Apr-18 14:45:43

How about installing a free program called Irfan View. We used it in our education authority, as it allowed us to edit and compress pictures for the schools' websites.
I installed it at home also and it does work with Windows, I've just checked again by opening a few pics.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 13-Apr-18 12:51:46

I obviously haven't explained myself clearly. I was hoping someone could tell me how to get Window 7 to let me open my own photos directly from the pictures folder without having to bother about using any other program.

Ever since I started using Windows this has been possible, now after a wonky update from Microsoft three weeks ago, nothing at all happens when I click on a photo.

NanaMacGeek Fri 13-Apr-18 23:21:48

Do you get a dropdown menu when you right click the photo you want to open in your (photos) folder or does nothing happen?

grandtanteJE65 Sat 14-Apr-18 14:16:45

Absolutely nothing happens except the little blue circle that usually means Windows 7 is carrying out my command chases its tail like mad.

I'm talking about photos stored on my hard-drive, not ones I am either trying to download from the internet or opening as files sent with an e-mail.

NanaMacGeek Sat 14-Apr-18 22:21:53

No, I understand what you are trying to do. Because you can't even see a dropdown menu when you right click the photo but get the 'busy' blue wheel, I don't think there is going to be a quick fix as this could be caused by several issues. Have you tried booting your PC in Safe Mode? Does the problem persist or can you now view your photos?

(Safe Mode - Follow these steps:

a) Press the ‘Windows + C’ key on the keyboard.
b) Click on settings, change pc settings and then general.
c) Scroll down to advanced startup, click restart now.
d) Click on troubleshoot, advanced options, Startup Settings.
e) Click restart, select safe mode and then press enter.

Note: Restart the computer to start in normal mode.)

If you can open your photos for viewing in Safe Mode, the next step would be to carry out a Clean Boot of your PC.
support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

However, given what you have said already, I'm not sure how comfortable you are with troubleshooting your PC. You may need to find someone who understands Windows 7 to look at it.

The other thing you could try would be to import a single photo (one that doesn't matter if you lose it) into Windows Live Photo Gallery and just play with it. See if it works and what it can do. I know you don't want to take extra steps to open photos but it may be easier in the long run. All later upgrades support it. I'm sorry, I had hoped to be able to help but think it may be too difficult at a distance.