Gransnet forums

Technology

Budget Smart phone

(10 Posts)
jeanie99 Wed 16-May-18 02:02:58

I have a pay as you go ordinary phone which I have just changed onto a contract for £6.50 a month.
This allows me 4G and may make it possible to use my mobile at home(at present I get no signal).
The old phone I have is not compatible with 4 G so I need to purchase a phone that is which leads me to my question.
Can anyone recommend a budget mobile phone which is compatible with 4G, I believe this would have to be a smart phone.
My supplier is EE does this mean I can purchase any phone, I'm not sure how things work.

Nanabilly Wed 16-May-18 08:53:33

I'm not sure you will get a smartphone contract for £6.50 or even anywhere close to that.
I have a contract with tesco mobile which I pay a maximum of £15.50 for and from next month it drops to £9 (phone is then paid for) as my contract ends but I can carry it on if I don't want to upgrade the phone or contract to bigger and better. I don't as I like the phone I have its a Samsung j5 .and I also like the free calls ,texts and 4g data that I get.
Have a look online at Tesco mobile they do have some good power prices deals.

Farmor15 Wed 16-May-18 09:31:43

On some contracts you can buy any phone and just transfer the SIM card. If your phone is old, it’s possible that’s the kind of contract you have. Lots of contacts include the phone and it really costs more in long term. I’d suggest going to a phone shop and looking at what’s on offer.
I’ve had a cheap Samsung for a few years and it’s fine.

annsixty Wed 16-May-18 09:33:23

I assume you have a contract just for the service and you buy your own sim- free phone.
I have done this for years.
I got a new Samsung but an older model for £199 , it is a smartphone which does everything and a super camera.
I bought it from Argos.
I could have got a cheaper one but they were the small ones and my fingers are not nimble enough.

hildajenniJ Wed 16-May-18 10:42:28

I have a Wileyfox swift 2 which was bought for me at Christmas. They are available in Tesco's. It has a fingerprint scanner to unlock the screen (if you want to use it)! We have a contract to provide landline, broadband and mobile phones all in one for something like £7:50 per month. I put my SIM card from my old phone into the new one. It does everything I need a phone for.

Scribbles Wed 16-May-18 11:16:01

I have just bought a Nokia 5 (£179.99 from John Lewis) to replace my beloved Nokia Lumia whose case got damaged when I dropped it. The new phone does everything you might reasonably expect a phone to do and it's 4G compatible. However, it's my first foray into the world of Android phones so still on a voyage of discovery!

OH is on his second Moto G5 which he loves to bits; I think that was around £120 from Argos and also 4G compatible.

humptydumpty Wed 16-May-18 12:06:21

I also have a Nokia using Windows 10, cost less than £50 from Amazon, The only problem is there are fewer apps for Windows, otherwise it's fine smile

jillyco Wed 16-May-18 12:54:43

My husband has a 4G Oukitel phone which costs £79.99 from Amazon. Whatever phone you get, make sure it is unlocked, which means that you can use a SIM card from any network.

Newquay Wed 16-May-18 18:48:56

Mm interesting. I bought a new phone recently, well to tell the truth, DD did it all and told me what to buy. I bought it outright from John Lewis for £400-cheaper than £20 odd pm for two years. Then she got me a SIM card from giffgaff £7.50pm. It's an Apple iPhone as all the family have iPhones. It's 5e or is it Se?

LuisaRey Wed 19-May-21 18:04:40

I am using iPhone 11 pro max, I dont want to switch to new phone, problem is I can not use it with other carriers, while My current network charging me healthy bill for internet package.
Have you people have any experience to unlock the carrier network for iphone like this www.unlockninja.com/unlock-apple+iphone-11-pro-max,
I need your feedback, if you had any insight, please share.