Gransnet forums

Technology

Can texting replace phone calls?

(56 Posts)
arcadia03 Tue 12-Jun-18 16:44:44

My mobile phone rang. It was my sister in law. Just missed the call, as putting up curtains, so phoned back, to find that she did not want to speak, but was texting me to wish my sick grandson better! She had pressed the call button accidentally but still didn't want to speak! I am amazed at the lack of manners (from an eighty year old) but also at the attitude that a text was all I was entitled to, having rung her back. This is not the first time she has done this. Should I tell her I don't do texts any more?

arcadia03 Wed 13-Jun-18 08:44:07

My elderly sister in law likes to text but I don't often see her though she lives 100 yards down the road. She uses texts to stay in touch, but I find it frustrating as it would be so easy to pop in or talk on the phone. The way I see it, her texting can be an apology for not getting involved.

pollyperkins Wed 13-Jun-18 09:57:25

I'm another who prefers texting to phoning. If you phone the person might be busy and I hate leaving eletronic messages. Or they have to drop everything they are doing. Or the conversation goes on for ever and its hard to actually stop. A quick text (or email) does the job and they can get back to you when they are free.
Within the family, like others, we have a Whatsapp group so we are in almost daily contact and sometimes the messages fly back and forth with lots of hilarity! And of course we dont forget how to speak (what no sense!)-we meet up more often then previously as its much easier to arrange a meet up -sometimes at short notice as in 'Anyone free to meet up today?' Then when we get to the meetup venue we get messages like 'Im here, where are you?' 'Just parking!' Etc
How did we ever manage before?

pollyperkins Wed 13-Jun-18 09:58:30

However use phone to local friends, to make appointments etc.

henetha Wed 13-Jun-18 10:32:34

Each to his own really. But I have to say that texting has been wonderful for me as I have some speech problems.
It's such a huge relief not to have to speak on my bad days.

homefarm Wed 13-Jun-18 11:17:18

I love texts and email as I have a major hearing problem with telephones. Perhaps your sister in law has a problem too?

Greyduster Wed 13-Jun-18 11:28:22

I hate phone calls - have to steel myself to make them and try and make every excuse not to answer them!! Stella my SiL is exactly like that, too! I had to call my friend last night, as I knew that, though she has a mobile, if I texted her she was unlikely to answer because she doesn’t like using it! My grandson, eleven, WhatsApp’s me every day. He is a man of few words. He just says ‘Hi’ and sends me a beating heart! (I must find out how to do that!).

ReadyMeals Wed 13-Jun-18 11:29:36

Oh I would far rather people text me, since I don't have to wipe my hands or whatever to answer in realtime, I can reply when I finish my current job. I don't experience it as a manners thing at all, just taking advantage of the wonderful technology we have now!

lemongrove Wed 13-Jun-18 11:34:35

I hope it won’t replace phone calls, far nicer to hear a voice and have a chat, even a quick chat.In any case I don’t send or receive texts.

lemongrove Wed 13-Jun-18 11:39:09

I do however send quick messages via the message facility on iPad.I send photos that way too.

gigi1958 Wed 13-Jun-18 12:28:00

Yes I would say something I had a friend that wanted to text entire conversations! OMG I hated it and then I just told her to call or don't bother.

sluttygran Wed 13-Jun-18 12:33:35

I love texting. I’m a curmudgeonly old girl, and I can’t be doing with long conversations unless they’re face-to face with a cake and a nice cuppa!
Text are wonderful for imparting small but necessary bites of info, and save huge amounts of telephone time which can then be used for pleasurable meetings.

grannyactivist Wed 13-Jun-18 12:39:33

I'm another fan of WhatsApp and love that my whole family can share communications. At the moment we're enjoying the sights of Singapore where one of my daughters is at a conference; watching video clips of my 8 year old grandson at his school sport's day; one of my sons is currently arranging a family BBQ and the other is planning his fortnightly visit to bring our grandson to stay.

Maggiemaybe Wed 13-Jun-18 12:57:27

Greyduster, I used to hate talking on the phone too. I’d completely forgotten about this until I came across some very old letters I’d sent to DH, where I mentioned it. Email and texts would have been such a boon to me back then.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 13-Jun-18 13:01:53

I prefer e-mails to either texting or phoning, but do text quite a lot as it is cheaper than speaking on the phone. Our provider does not do unlimited phone calls.

When I send a text I feel I am not interrupting and the person I want to get in touch with can phone or text back asking me to phone.

pollyperkins Wed 13-Jun-18 13:03:40

I too hate phone calls,especially phoning people I dont know well. I always hope my husband will answer when it rings and that its not for me. The worst thing os when Ive been out and he says so and so phoned and I said you'd ring back!

Saggi Wed 13-Jun-18 13:19:17

I always text my daughter and son (41 & 38) as we are all quite chatty! If I call them they know it's important and I need to speak reasonably quickly. It's an unspoken thing between us. Texting is upbeat and chatty BUT calls mean business!! I wouldn't have a landline if it wasn't for my technophobe of a husband!

OldMeg Wed 13-Jun-18 14:09:50

ParsleyTexts are little notes .

Love that idea ??

OldMeg Wed 13-Jun-18 14:10:51

I also like it that I can multi text to the whole family.

arcadia03 Wed 13-Jun-18 14:21:43

Maybe we're just so busy we can't make time to talk on the phone? I think texting is very useful for appointments and quick messages, but when it comes to my sister in law using saccharine texts as her main method of communication, where the texting doesn't reflect real thoughts or feelings as a spoken conversation does, I get frustrated and quite cross. I fully understand why people find texting quick messages useful, but how can it replace conversation?

inishowen Wed 13-Jun-18 14:39:10

I have friend who I text often. Why? because she is so long winded I dread getting her on the phone. Over an hour can go by. Texting has been the best thing since sliced bread!

Parsley3 Wed 13-Jun-18 15:21:36

We are managing to have a long conversation on this thread with not a word spoken. Texts and emails won’t replace phone calls for people who like to chat. I accept all forms of communication from family and friends. No need to criticise any of it.
Meg ??

Greciangirl Wed 13-Jun-18 15:39:59

I tend to email people nowadays more than anything.

I also prefer texting to talking.

As regards phone calls, it depends who I’m talking to.
One or two friends I don’t mind a chat with. But I don’t appreciate early morning calls from Dd asking me to look after dgs at short notice because she is tired and can’t cope.
The land line rental with virgin keeps going up and up and would dearly like to dispense with it, but it’s part of the package unfortunately.

DeeWBW Wed 13-Jun-18 16:02:38

My sister and I didn't speak for twenty five years, even though I contacted her regularly to try to find out what the problem was. It proved to be so trivial. Thanks to my regular letters to her, we got back together about seven years ago. Now, all she wants is contact by email. Her reasons? She has two dogs and doesn't like people coming to the house. She won't leave the dogs. She doesn't like talking on the phone (our contact over the seven years was by me phoning her every Monday at an agrred time). Keep contact to email only.

It hurts ... but not as much as the first time did. I now don't send emails. It doesn't mean 'family' to me.

123kitty Wed 13-Jun-18 16:41:34

I prefer texts. I find it easier to say no by text, whereas a phone invite often catches me unaware, then I usually end up agreeing to some request or other that I really should have declined- so texts for me. Also don't have to listen to long one-sided phone chats without getting a word in- just the occasional yawn!

vickymeldrew Wed 13-Jun-18 18:14:56

I love chatty phone calls, however, I also love texts. They are two different things. I can scroll through my texts which remind me of, say, when my friend is on holiday and where she is going, when the theatre tickets are for and how much they cost, when a friends hospital appointment is, etc etc . So many things ‘lost in the ether’ if not in a text message. It also makes me look as though my memory is sharper than it is !