Gransnet forums

Technology

Can texting replace phone calls?

(56 Posts)
arcadia03 Tue 12-Jun-18 16:44:44

My mobile phone rang. It was my sister in law. Just missed the call, as putting up curtains, so phoned back, to find that she did not want to speak, but was texting me to wish my sick grandson better! She had pressed the call button accidentally but still didn't want to speak! I am amazed at the lack of manners (from an eighty year old) but also at the attitude that a text was all I was entitled to, having rung her back. This is not the first time she has done this. Should I tell her I don't do texts any more?

Hm999 Thu 14-Jun-18 10:46:55

I think a text is the equivalent of a quick note just to say 'thinking of you', while a phone call is more like a proper letter.

Pittcity Thu 14-Jun-18 11:17:43

Both calls and texts are out these days, according to DS. WhatsApp, Messenger and the like are in.

MaudLillian Fri 15-Jun-18 08:40:33

I find most phone chats annoying and time wasting. Invariably somebody will ring at a most inconvenient time - such as when I'm trying to cook dinner. So I much prefer texts, which, like in the old days of letters, wait for your convenience for a reply. If I want to talk to people I arrange to see them for coffee or lunch. My family visits once a week or so. One of my sons is in Vietnam at the moment - we use Facebook video call once a fortnight. I like getting texts - they make me feel involved in people's lives and are not intrusive. The phone ring tone seems like one big nag to me! I've not installed Whatsapp because I already have my phone company repeatedly telling me I'm short of storage space and the apps I already have can't be updated unless I create some space! This, of course, is very irritating, since I don't want to delete photographs etc.

TerriBull Fri 15-Jun-18 08:56:01

I like to text to arrange a meet up with friends, I'd rather talk face to face. I'm not so keen on long drawn out phone conversations. I've had one or two that have gone into an hour and half, where I seem to end up the "listening" side often during the evening which is not a particularly good time for me, after an hours gone by I just want to wind it up and sometimes it's difficult to extricate myself with one particular friend because most of it is musing about life in general. So yeah a text to arrange a meet up is preferable.

TerriBull Fri 15-Jun-18 09:00:03

I do have a couple of WhatsApp groups on my phone. Just reading your post MaudLillian, I agree phone calls often come when I'm cooking dinner, serving it up or when we are eating it.