Gransnet forums

Technology

Advice needed please

(12 Posts)
mrsjones Thu 28-Jun-18 15:48:58

I received an email from “Microsoft “ this morning which said my hotmail address will be deleted today as I have not used it for 2 years. I use this email frequently so I assume it’s a scam of some sort. I’m not tech savvy at all - should I just delete it? It said something about One Drive and I don’t even know what this means.

MrsJamJam Thu 28-Jun-18 16:08:36

If it was me I would ignore it. Almost certainly a scam.

hildajenniJ Thu 28-Jun-18 18:43:00

Just had a look at Microsoft for you. Oh boy, is it confusing! I found a support number that might be worth ringing.
It sounded to me like Microsoft may be advertising a new or renamed email account.

Support Contact Number Helpline Number 0800-098-8400

Humbertbear Thu 28-Jun-18 21:53:46

I read emails on my iPad and if you press on the name of the sender the complete address comes up and you can see if it is a scam or not.

Treebee Thu 28-Jun-18 22:01:48

I think this might be correct as unused accounts can be deleted. If you start using it again perhaps it won’t be deleted? Otherwise, set up a new account.

Treebee Thu 28-Jun-18 22:03:48

Ah, just read your post properly and seen you do use it. Ignore me, as you were.

muffinthemoo Thu 28-Jun-18 22:06:44

Scam, delete.

FlexibleFriend Thu 28-Jun-18 22:58:46

One Drive is a Microsoft app that stores Photo's and Documents to the cloud, it's on my Laptop but I've never used it.

mrsjones Thu 28-Jun-18 23:20:00

Thanks for your replies. I decided to ignore the email and just hope all will be working ok tomorrow.

NanaMacGeek Thu 28-Jun-18 23:32:50

As hildajenniJ says, it really is confusing. Have you tried to access your Hotmail account by logging on to it over the internet rather than using the email app on your computer? Don't click any links from your email but use your browser to look up Hotmail login. Can you read your emails there? From some of the information I've read looking this up, accessing your mails directly using the web every couple of months is the way to ensure your Hotmail account is kept 'live'.

Have you been sent a link in the email to click so you can 'login' to your mails? If you have, it is likely to be a scam. If it is giving you information without any links, it may be genuine.

If you are stuck, I think it might be worth contacting Microsoft support too.

pheasant75 Wed 04-Jul-18 15:16:02

Play on the side of caution don't click any links my advice is sign up for a different email and let people you know your new address.
make sure you use a strong password ,using lower and upper care and numbers .
write this down some where safe do not STORE passwords on your pc or phone or tablets
people have the habit of ticking boxes and saving their password on PC laptop or tablets etc.
make sure you have a good anti virus on any device and use HTTPS everywhere cant be too safe in this day and age. sorry long winded stay safe

mimiro Wed 04-Jul-18 15:29:02

also don't tick the remember me box.its like leaving your back door open.
close or log off when you are done as the site stays active until you shut down computer/i don't do phones so do not know much about them.
if you hover over the senders address on most if not all email accounts it will give you the actual senders email.also if you hover over the subject line it will let you see a good portion of the message
if your name is not used 99% of the time it is a scam
not all these things are true at all times but it is better to be cautious.
if you are on a computer that is plugged into the wall and no battery installed.you can airgap-unplug if something starts happening you think is hinky.
true techies will tell you airgapping is the best defense.wifi keeps on going until power is gone..i use a laptop with battery removed(fire hazard if you don't use it)
also to keep computer harddrive clean and fast use a cleaning program like bleachbit.once installed you can tell it to load everytime you power up so you don't forget to use it.this was the cleaner hilary c used to delete her emails and caused such a stir.