Gransnet forums

Technology

All those with an Amazon "Alexa" device who don't have a dishwasher!

(122 Posts)
phoenix Mon 23-Jul-18 20:18:50

Evening all!

Next time you are at the sink, dealing with the dishes, ask Alexa to play "the washing up song", guaranteed to have you bopping about! grin

I suppose we could let the dishwasher owners listen whilst loading the machine??

phoenix Fri 27-Jul-18 23:48:18

blush

Juggernaut Fri 27-Jul-18 07:39:53

phoenix
I don't think you realise how much some of us look forward to your posts, as so often you 'say' things that make us giggle, chuckle or even LOL!
Keep up the good workgrin

phoenix Thu 26-Jul-18 23:56:36

Yay!

It seems as if I have managed to spread a little light hearted washing up happiness! grin

Juggernaut Thu 26-Jul-18 23:39:34

phoenix
You must know my husband! No, he probably wasn't really listening, or he was in one of his 'serious grown up' moods!
I like it though, but I'm a bit of a Zingzillas fan anyway!
I'm sure the people in the houses behind ours think I'm a nutjob anyway, I seem to have started 'calypso-ing' around the kitchen?
Washing.......all the greasy crockery!

gillybob Thu 26-Jul-18 23:08:03

Every cup and every spoon...... ( after every meal time).

grin

phoenix Thu 26-Jul-18 21:37:13

Juggernaut, but was he actually listening? Some people (note I didn't actually point the finger at menwink) seem able to tune out things that they don't see as "relevant"

Did you like the song?

Juggernaut Thu 26-Jul-18 21:19:24

phoenix
I played the 'washing up song' while DH was standing at the kitchen sink, but he didn't seem amused.... miserable sod!

phoenix Thu 26-Jul-18 21:15:46

Same here gillybob, just terrestrial tv, no Sky, Netflix etc, we do have Amazon Fire stick, as part of Prime, that seems to do us!

The TV (we only have one, situated in the sitting room) doesn't usually get turned on until around 7.30pm so it's Radio 4 in the kitchen until then, unless of course we are listening to music of our choice courtesy of Alexa!

gillybob Thu 26-Jul-18 20:47:44

Well we have no Sky TV, Netflix or any other TV package . Just music . This makes us happy . Our £79 per year is chicken feed.

phoenix Thu 26-Jul-18 20:38:09

Yay! Someone (*Minimoon*) actually tried the Washing uP song grin

So glad you liked it, catchy little number, isn't it? Can't help but move to it!

Juggernaut Thu 26-Jul-18 20:24:33

Minimoo
I know that I'm a gadget freak, but we have SKY TV, with the movies package, the landline and broadband are also with SKY.
We also have Netflix HD, so anything we want to see can usually be found on either Amazon Prime, SKY, or Netflix, but I very rarely watch TV as I'm always busy doing something else!
I guess I must just enjoy keeping all my options open, although sometimes I do think to myself 'a fool and her money are soon parted' wink

MiniMoon Thu 26-Jul-18 17:03:43

As we pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime, I went for Amazon Music Unlimited on one device for half the usual price. When I started adding up everything we pay monthly for I got a fright!!??

Juggernaut Thu 26-Jul-18 15:34:54

You're right gillybob, £79 per year isn't expensive for Amazon Music Unlimited, but as I pay £79 per year for Prime, and another £79 for Kindle Unlimited, it sometimes feels as though I'm giving Amazon a lot of cash every year!
However, I use Amazon for a lot of shopping, and 'free' next day delivery is very useful, plus if I need to use Amazon Locker for deliveries, it's a very short walk to collect stuff.
I place orders with Amazon, pay using my John Lewis credit card, pay the bill in full before incurring any interest, and periodically get John Lewis vouchers as a reward for using said credit card! It's very unlike me to be so organised!
I read a lot using my Kindle too, (a first generation, bought in 2009 I think) so having Kindle Unlimited saves me an enormous amount on books too!
Actually, I get very good value out of Amazon, but don't tell them, they might put their fees upwink

gillybob Thu 26-Jul-18 11:17:34

I don't think £79 per year is expensive at all Juggernaut considering what you get for your money. How much is a CD these days? £10 or thereabouts?

I can play music on any of my devices minimoon but only one device at a time, (not sure I would want to play different things on different devices at the same time anyway) so I would double check if I were you.

Juggernaut Thu 26-Jul-18 10:53:11

MiniMoon
Aha! That explains it.
I didn't want you paying for something and not getting it!
I have Amazon Prime and pay £79 per year for Music Unlimited on all devices. I suppose it's expensive, but I love music of all genres (with the notable exception of modern jazz) so it's good value for me!
I find the 'Play the song with the lyrics' a really useful feature as I often remember one or two lines of a song but forget the title and artistblush

MiniMoon Thu 26-Jul-18 10:04:13

Juggernaut, there was an offer going for a reduced price if you had music unlimited on one device only. Thinking that I use the kitchen more during the day, I have it on my Echo Show. DH bought the Echo Show for me for Christmas, I have only watched one video on it, but the DGC watch cartoons when they are "helping" me to cook!

Juggernaut Thu 26-Jul-18 09:56:07

Minimoon
I have Amazon Music Unlimited, and it works on all my devices, Echo, Dots, Ipad, Phone and the app on the TV!
Have you deliberately chosen to have it on one device only? If not, it should play on all devices which are logged in as you!

Juggernaut Thu 26-Jul-18 09:48:10

phoenix
No, you didn't use the term 'you lot', I know you'd never be so rude!
My post didn't make it clear, it was mabon1 who used the term, but she/he is often rude and dismissive.
I assumed that you'd 'get' that I wasn't meaning you, but I phrased it wrongly..... sorry!

gillybob Thu 26-Jul-18 07:53:34

Oh yes NanKate and I’m getting a bit fed up with the soundtrack of the Greatest Showman.

I’m enjoying asking for things like “summer hits from the 70’s” smile

NanKate Thu 26-Jul-18 07:37:24

I typed up a list of my favourite singers and on another page songs I like and just refer to it when I want some variety in my listening.

I am sure I am teaching my granny to suck eggs, but did you know you can ask Alexa to play an album of any of your favourite artists ?

MiniMoon Wed 25-Jul-18 23:05:26

I signed up to Amazon music unlimited but on one device only, so kitchen echo will play anything, while upstairs dot is much more limited. I am really enjoying them. By the way phoenix I had a jolly dance with the washing up, the washing up song was entertaining.??

gillybob Wed 25-Jul-18 22:18:35

Personally (and I could be very wrong phoenix) I find Alexa prefers to play a more sophisticated (dare I say upper class) kind of music whereas “ooor Dot” will play “out ya like” wink

phoenix Wed 25-Jul-18 22:14:06

gillybob grin

(Particularly the reference to Alexa and her sister Dot!)

gillybob Wed 25-Jul-18 11:41:19

Personally I don't see how you can knock something unless/until you have tried it, or at the very least see one in action.

My poor Alexa and her sister Dot didn't know whether they were coming or going yesterday! Grandson asking one to play Michael Jackson (he is a brilliant dancer) and the girls asking for the theme from The Greatest Showman at the same time.

phoenix Wed 25-Jul-18 11:17:06

Correct me if I'm wrong, Juggernaut but I don't think I did use the term "you lot"?