Gransnet forums

Technology

Copy and Paste

(27 Posts)
Anniebach Tue 11-Sep-18 08:38:14

I can’t do this on my iPad, would someone who uses an iPad advise if it possible please?

Auntieflo Tue 11-Sep-18 09:18:03

I can’t do this on my iPad, would someone who uses an iPad advise if it possible please?
Just did it Annie, that is your post inserted, above this.
Hold your finger down on the text you want to copy, until highlighted in blue, with 'dots' on each side, and you should be asked if you want to 'copy'. Select that option, go to where you want to 'paste', hold down your finger again, and select 'paste' . It should work. I had to hold and press quite hard! Hope this makes snse. Good luck

Anniebach Tue 11-Sep-18 09:20:06

Auntyflo, I tried that but only one word highlights in blue, I will try it now and post it here x

Anniebach Tue 11-Sep-18 09:20:47

want

One word

petra Tue 11-Sep-18 09:46:02

Annie
On the article you want to copy, press in the search bar until 'copy' comes up, press that. In your reply box on GN,write what you want to say, press in box until paste comes up, press that. It won't show blue here but will in the post.

Anniebach Tue 11-Sep-18 09:47:44

Thank you Petra, I will try that

Anniebach Tue 11-Sep-18 09:50:22

On the

Anniebach Tue 11-Sep-18 09:50:50

Oooops

Auntieflo Tue 11-Sep-18 09:52:16

Annie, I didn't explain it very well. Once some of the text is highlightd, use the bar with the dots to expand the highlighting. You can go sideways or up and down, just using the little dots on the bar.
I have found an easy tutorial on YouTube, see picture below. Click on the first circle with a head,and follow instructions.
To find this video, I just searched for IPad copy and Paste. Good luck. But there may be others who can show you more easily. ?

Anniebach Tue 11-Sep-18 09:56:14

Will do that Auntyflo. I am not the brightest coin in the mint x

MiniMoon Tue 11-Sep-18 09:59:33

Found this for you Annie, as I'm not very good at describing how to copy and paste.

To select longer text:

Drag the blue bars at the beginning and end of the selected word or text. A magnifying bar will appear to make it easier to find the exact beginning or end of the selection.
Tap the Copy button that appears above the selected text.

To paste, just place your finger on the reply box until you see the word paste, then tap on it. The text magically appears. It took me ages to find out how to do it, but I'm an expert now. Good luck.

Anniebach Tue 11-Sep-18 10:11:15

Thank you Mini, surely with all this kind advice I will do it

NanaMacGeek Tue 11-Sep-18 11:18:07

Hi Annie, here is another YouTube link you can try.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyP-BNZD9PM

Anniebach Tue 11-Sep-18 11:44:13

Thank you NanaMacGeek

Anniebach Tue 11-Sep-18 11:46:18

Just did it Annie, that is your post inserted, above this.
Hold your finger down on the text you want to copy, until highlighted in blue, with 'dots' on each side, and you should be asked if you want to 'copy'. Select that option, go to where you want to 'paste', hold down your finger again, and select 'paste'

I DID IT ? thank you

Auntieflo Tue 11-Sep-18 11:53:25

Well done that girl!
I knew NanaMacGeek would come up trumps, the only thing is, I had forgotten her name, sorry.

PamelaJ1 Tue 11-Sep-18 16:35:16

Well done that girl!
I can do it too!
Aren’t we clever?
Now I need links. I still can’t work out how to do them.
I know you right click etc. But I don’t know how to get the information to click on. If there is an interesting article in the paper, for example, where would I click.
Maybe not so clever after all. I’d better get back on youtube

MiniMoon Tue 11-Sep-18 16:37:32

Well done Annie.
Doesn't it feel good to master a new skill. As they say, " you're never too old to learn". ??

MiniMoon Tue 11-Sep-18 16:45:27

A link is easy on a tablet. I wouldn't have the first idea how to do it on a desktop computer.

Anniebach Tue 11-Sep-18 17:02:06

Thank you alll x

I can do links but this copy and paste baffled me , not now ?

Rufus2 Sat 15-Sep-18 08:19:33

I can do links but this copy and paste baffled me , not now
OK Annie and anyone. I highlight some text in a Word document, change the font to red, say, on my desktop and try to Copy/Paste to a Gransnet forum (for added emphasis). Nothing happens! sad
Or, how can I change the font colour directly in a posting? [puzzled]

NanaMacGeek Sat 15-Sep-18 15:42:20

Rufus2, you should notice that all the GN posts are in the same font and text size as well as using black text. The only difference between posts is that the original poster's opening post has a green background and each poster can see their own posts with a pink(ish) background, no-one else can see the pink background if they are not using your login. This should tell you that GN web site designers strictly control what all the posts look like, the website is probably hard coded so that all posts have the same overall appearance. It would look very messy if everyone's post was in different colours, sizes, fonts, line spacing etc..

Rufus2 Sun 16-Sep-18 13:17:20

It would look very messy if everyone's post was in different colours, sizes, fonts, line spacing etc
Nana;Agreed! I understand all that, but wouldn't it be pretty? It could even start a competition! wink
Pity! I'll just fold my tent and sneak away! sad

Elegran Sun 16-Sep-18 14:17:12

PamelaJ1If you want to add a link to a page containing something interesting on the net, look for the URL (the online name) of that page and copy and paste that exactly as you would something from the posts on the page. It will be in a text box at the top of your screen. For instance,if you look at the box on your screen above this thread, you will see the URL of the Gransnet page for the thread. It is www.gransnet.com/forums/technology/1252268-Copy-and-Paste

hadline Wed 26-Sep-18 14:48:42

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.