Gransnet forums

Technology

Ipad problems

(45 Posts)
Auntieflo Fri 05-Oct-18 13:39:32

Calling NanaMcGeek, or any other techy person.
In the last couple of days, my Ipad has been sooooo slow in scrolling down a page. I like to look at Gransnet a couple of times a day, and it is noticeably slow and 'sticky' when following through a thead. Coming to a full stop often.
I have made sure, as far as I am aware, that there is nothing running in the background, and I do not have multiple screens open, behind the scenes, as it were. It is also fully charged
Am I to assume that my trusty Ipad is coming to the end of it's useful life?
Any helpful suggestions welcome. Thankyou in advance.
I am having to post this from my ASUS tablet.

arsalveli05 Fri 25-Jan-19 08:30:04

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Lazigirl Mon 19-Nov-18 15:38:58

Well well, haven't been able to use elderly iPad on this site for about 6 weeks, so have reverted to iPhone. Checking GN site on afore said elderly iPad today layout totally different and no problems with iPad. hmm

NanaMacGeek Thu 25-Oct-18 22:55:09

Auntieflo, depending on which email provider you are with, you should be able to reset your password as you have the ASUS. You will need to use your internet browser as if you are trying to read your emails online but, as you have forgotten your password, enter your email address as requested. Then when your password is requested, click the 'Forgot password?' link. With luck, your ASUS email client should receive a link requesting you to reset your password. If you follow the instructions, you should be able to change your password to a new one that you have made up for the purpose. You will have to change your email password to the new one on the ASUS to continue to see your emails and you can add your email account details (your email address and new password) to your iPad.

There are some pitfalls though.

Email providers like gmail may have previously asked you for additional information (for extra security) before resetting your password. It may be a mobile phone number to which they can text a security code. It could also be that you would be required to answer some security questions, such as 'Where did your parents meet?'. What was the make of your first car? Beware, if you have provided this information in the past, your answers must be in exactly the same format, capital letters, spaces, commas, apostrophes etc. As part of the reset, you may also have to provide this information for future use, so make sure you make an accurate record of any information you add. You may also be asked to add a recovery email address, which means a different email address if you have one.

If you are stuck, Google 'resetting pasword for ????' where ???? is the part of your email address after the @ symbol.

Passwords are the keys to your online doors. Make sure you know which password unlocks which set of application data (door) and record it accurately. Any other information you provide as part of password security is just as important too, just 'jotting it down' somewhere is not good practice.

I hope you resolve this. If you can't reset your password, you could set up a new email address on your iPad, then using your ASUS, forward any emails that you want to keep to your new email address, then let people know you have changed your address.

Andyf Wed 24-Oct-18 13:11:20

My iPad developed the same problem about a month ago.
It wouldn’t scroll when on Gransnet and continually froze.
I did everything I could to try and solve the problem, without success.
I assumed it was the iPad (it was old and had been a cast off). I bought a new one. Problem is sorted but old one still not doing as it should on Gransnet.

Lazigirl Wed 24-Oct-18 12:53:08

I have plenty of storage but stripped out about 10 apps I don’t use. Oh dear! DH not happy as they were his and have also disappeared from his laptop grin......and I still can’t access GN on iPad!

Jalima1108 Wed 24-Oct-18 10:08:37

I've checked the RAM and it's way above 4gb so it's not that.
We do have a few problems with the internet provider and they are supposed to have improved it but I do wonder.

Auntieflo Wed 24-Oct-18 09:34:05

I have just caught up with this thread. My, what a lot of you have had problems!
NanaMacGeek, I wish I knew why I can’t add my old email account to this new Ipad. It appeared to be a case of forgotten password. I still use my old email account on my ASUS tablet. The young man in the Apple store, tried, it seems, every whichway to Christmas and back, but had no luck. I am definitely not techy minded and seem to go a bit far away, when having things explained. My boys all speak at 19 knots to the dozen, which doesn’t help. So, I am just enjoying this one whilst I can.
Thank you, but if you could “beam yourself over here” you would be very welcome, and I may even get to learn something.

Lazigirl Wed 24-Oct-18 09:22:54

Thanks for your post Grandad43. Makes sense & kind of what I suspected. Old iPad no longer fit for purpose!

Anniebach Wed 24-Oct-18 08:44:34

I can’t add my email account to my new iPad

NanaMacGeek Wed 24-Oct-18 00:08:06

Auntieflo, why can't you add your old email account to your new iPad?

Lilypops Tue 23-Oct-18 23:33:18

I have also been having problems with my iPad sticking and not scrolling down, it's fine on other sites so I am thinking it may be Gransnet ,s problem not my iPad, At least it's nice to know it's not just me , all your posts about thus have been most helpful ,Thankyou All,

Jalima1108 Tue 23-Oct-18 22:50:07

Anyone having problems with slow or freezing apps or websites should first check the amount of Ram they have on their device which for a 8 to 10-inch tablet should be above 4gb ram.
I will check Grandad; however I went into JL (where I purchased it about 2 or 3 years ago) and was told I was tapping it too hard hmm.

I was tempted to tap it with a hammer.

Jalima1108 Tue 23-Oct-18 22:48:12

GN has a lot of advertising on its site some of these could be a memory hog?
Would putting an ad-blocker on help?

I am having problems too, only with GN and when nothing else is open. I don't use the tablet for much at all so I can't understand why GN is fragile and keeps 'crashing'. Other devices seem fine.

Grandad1943 Tue 23-Oct-18 21:55:09

Beau, before opening GN make sure all other apps and web pages are closed as that will release all the memory (Ram) and processor power on your device for the GN site and web browser.

Hope the above makes a difference. GN has a lot of advertising on its site some of these could be a memory hog?

No problems here with the site.

Beau Tue 23-Oct-18 21:38:06

I have not been able to access GN for a few days - all other sites fine so the problem definitely with GN. Tonight it works again ?

Grandad1943 Tue 23-Oct-18 20:42:32

Larger Smartphones have replaced tablets in the last few years due to the memory requirements that many apps and websites demand from mobile devices. In that, many phones and tablets more than three or four years old normally ran on 2gb of random access memory (Ram) which is now not sufficient for many internet tasks.

Anyone having problems with slow or freezing apps or websites should first check the amount of Ram they have on their device which for a 8 to 10-inch tablet should be above 4gb ram.

Older tablets also often have central processors that are not capable of handling the latest apps and web browsers no matter how much Ram may be installed.

The above are in many cases why people have changed to purchasing smartphones over tablets for mobile use. Smaller screens require less processing power and voice recognition by way of such apps as Google Assistant means that the use of the small keyboards on phones is drastically reduced.

There has been a "quiet revolution" in mobile device use in the last two to three years as the demands of apps and websites on device performance has increased requiring smaller but more powerful devices in many cases.

This has been dictated using Google voice recognition on a Huawei P20 Pro phone with 8GB of RAM and 256 GB of storage. It is a great phone with the six-inch screen being crustal clear for reading even though it is smaller than any tablet.

There are much cheaper phones on the market well capable of handling day to day web browsing and voice recognition for such sites as GN. However, I feel that to think through what anyone wishes to carry out on their a device is essential before making a purchase, as such things as photo editing etc require a large about of processing power.

I have always found devices running on Google Android (not to be confused with Google OS) are the most efficient and cost effective for purchase, and they now make up nearly 85 percent of all mobile devises sold worldwide.

Jalima1108 Tue 23-Oct-18 19:22:13

I have a tablet and find it impossible now to even look at GN on it, without logging in, because it just crashes time and again. I've tried both the desktop and mobile sites, but the site is slow, jumpy and then crashes every couple of minutes.

It used to be fine.

Lazigirl Tue 23-Oct-18 18:54:04

Yes. Mines fine on other sites. Have plenty of storage & tried different browsers etc. My feeling is that GN have upgraded & my old iPad no longer compatible. Have contacted HQ.

tinaf1 Tue 23-Oct-18 18:16:20

I have also tried clearing nearly everything to release some more storage it was OK for a day and is now playing up again,but I do find gransnet site seems to be particularly bad for sticking and freezing

NfkDumpling Tue 23-Oct-18 16:40:21

My old iPad was six years old when it started going really slow and freezing. I cleared everything I could to no avail, gave in and bought a new one. I think it’s built in obsolescence.

dogsdinner Tue 23-Oct-18 14:56:18

Have you checked your storage, my older iPad often freezes because almost at full capacity.

tinaf1 Tue 23-Oct-18 14:17:51

I am still having problems with the gransnet site either keeps sticking or freezes completely.
Have been advised on another forum to take my I pad (it is a few years old) to take it to the nearest apple shop . Apparently they offer part exchange on old I pads

Lazigirl Tue 23-Oct-18 13:27:47

Oh dear! Can’t access site at all on iPad now, although it’s fine on other sites. I have reverted to using iPhone and finding layout more difficult to use. Anyone else had access probs?

Lazigirl Mon 08-Oct-18 18:59:18

You didn't hang about Auntieflo smile. I am still thinking about it but things seem to have resolved today, fingers crossed, and I don't think it has anything to do with changing search engine, history etc. Am back on google again. My iPad is about 5yrs old I guess.

Auntieflo Mon 08-Oct-18 18:26:03

I have succumbed and now have a new IPad, but as my Gransnet uses the old email, I am using my ASUS at the moment. Lazigirl, when I saw Diana54's post, I had a quick swear, as I had bought the new one before seeing that.
I hope you get yours sorted soon. I did find out that my old IPad was 6.5 years old, so maybe it was due to be replaced.