Gransnet forums

Technology

Ipad problems

(44 Posts)
Auntieflo Fri 05-Oct-18 13:39:32

Calling NanaMcGeek, or any other techy person.
In the last couple of days, my Ipad has been sooooo slow in scrolling down a page. I like to look at Gransnet a couple of times a day, and it is noticeably slow and 'sticky' when following through a thead. Coming to a full stop often.
I have made sure, as far as I am aware, that there is nothing running in the background, and I do not have multiple screens open, behind the scenes, as it were. It is also fully charged
Am I to assume that my trusty Ipad is coming to the end of it's useful life?
Any helpful suggestions welcome. Thankyou in advance.
I am having to post this from my ASUS tablet.

Baggs Fri 05-Oct-18 13:44:08

Have you tried switching it right off and restarting? That sometimes deals with stickiness.

Auntieflo Fri 05-Oct-18 13:49:12

Thank you Baggs, yes, I did that this morning before I went out. Still sticky and slow. Still on my ASUS

NanaMacGeek Fri 05-Oct-18 14:16:03

Hi Auntieflo, I've included a link which seems quite sensible:- Slow iPad Fixes. I would try working through these to see if they help. I wouldn't bother with the Ad blockers though, I've tried them and think they are more trouble than they are worth.

Let us know whether any of this helps.

Auntieflo Fri 05-Oct-18 19:13:14

Hello NanaMacGeek, thanks for that, I'll have a look a bit later.

SpringyChicken Fri 05-Oct-18 23:11:52

Take it to the Apple shop? The staff are so helpful.
Or Google 'slow ipad' and you will see lots of suggestions and fixes.

Willow500 Sat 06-Oct-18 07:06:39

Depends how old it is - my husband's is one of the very early models (my cast off grin ) and like a steam engine! Could it be your net that's slow?

Auntieflo Sat 06-Oct-18 08:47:12

I did some of what had been suggested, and it did speed up a little bit. I am thinking that it could be it's age, poor thing. We could pop into Reading and take it to the Apple shop, but I would have to make an appointment, they are always so busy.
(Actually, tongue in cheek here, it was only when I was doing research on Gransnet, that it got really slow and positively stuck, when trying to scroll up and down a thread)
Thanks for all your hints and tips, they do help.

Lazigirl Sat 06-Oct-18 10:52:22

I am having exactly the same thing, but mainly on GN. My iPad is old but I am not convinced it's not something to do with GN site. Only been affected since yesterday. hmm

Lazigirl Sat 06-Oct-18 12:52:36

Well it seems to have sorted itself this afternoon Auntieflo so it definitely ain't my iPad!

Lazigirl Sat 06-Oct-18 15:17:14

Whoops - spoke too soon. Keeps freezing but seems to be intermittent.

Auntieflo Sat 06-Oct-18 15:57:04

Lazigirl, it's very odd. It only seems to be happening on Gransnet. Definitely intermittant. It has taken over half an hour to get here from Logging in,mchoosing Active, then trying to scroll to where I want to be. Very odd.
Thanks

Lazigirl Sat 06-Oct-18 17:31:33

I have asked HQ if there is a problem Auntieflo.

Auntieflo Sat 06-Oct-18 18:07:32

Lazigirl, I am now using my ASUS tablet, and all seems to be OK. On the other hand, my Ipad is still playing up. It just freezes and won't scroll. I think I may have to bite the bullet and replace the old with a new. i am loathe to do this , but I love my Ipad and use it daily, too much really.
Watch this space!

Lazigirl Sun 07-Oct-18 09:04:49

I will try using phone but am reluctant to replace trusty oldish iPad yet because other sites seem fine, so I will hang on for a few days and see if it resolves. I can't live without my iPad ? So it may come to that.

NanaMacGeek Sun 07-Oct-18 10:09:46

I've just found another link. It may be more relevant if using the internet seems to slow your iPad down and the advice is sensible:-www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/ipad/speed-up-slow-ipad-3632709/

Diana54 Sun 07-Oct-18 10:29:07

On my IPad 2 IOS 9 the bug appears to be coming from Gransnet website and affects the search engine, Google etc

All the other website I visit are normal on Google click on GN and it slows and stops. I am messaging now on "Startpage" which seems immune so far.

So go into settings > safari > clear website data and try other sites then try GN.

Hope it works for you.

Grannyboots1 Sun 07-Oct-18 10:45:00

Thank you Diana 54, my i pad has been playing up for days. I have just cleared the website data in settings and its worked!!

Lazigirl Mon 08-Oct-18 10:12:56

I cleared data as soon as it started but it made no difference so I have changed my search engine from Google, and so far so good........

Auntieflo Mon 08-Oct-18 18:26:03

I have succumbed and now have a new IPad, but as my Gransnet uses the old email, I am using my ASUS at the moment. Lazigirl, when I saw Diana54's post, I had a quick swear, as I had bought the new one before seeing that.
I hope you get yours sorted soon. I did find out that my old IPad was 6.5 years old, so maybe it was due to be replaced.

Lazigirl Mon 08-Oct-18 18:59:18

You didn't hang about Auntieflo smile. I am still thinking about it but things seem to have resolved today, fingers crossed, and I don't think it has anything to do with changing search engine, history etc. Am back on google again. My iPad is about 5yrs old I guess.

Lazigirl Tue 23-Oct-18 13:27:47

Oh dear! Can’t access site at all on iPad now, although it’s fine on other sites. I have reverted to using iPhone and finding layout more difficult to use. Anyone else had access probs?

tinaf1 Tue 23-Oct-18 14:17:51

I am still having problems with the gransnet site either keeps sticking or freezes completely.
Have been advised on another forum to take my I pad (it is a few years old) to take it to the nearest apple shop . Apparently they offer part exchange on old I pads

dogsdinner Tue 23-Oct-18 14:56:18

Have you checked your storage, my older iPad often freezes because almost at full capacity.

NfkDumpling Tue 23-Oct-18 16:40:21

My old iPad was six years old when it started going really slow and freezing. I cleared everything I could to no avail, gave in and bought a new one. I think it’s built in obsolescence.