Gransnet forums

Technology

Advice on purchase of a trail camera

(14 Posts)
jeanie99 Tue 16-Oct-18 08:53:57

I would like to check out the hedgehog activity in our garden plus if cats get in.

I know nothing about trail cameras does anyone have any suggestions and advice when purchasing.
Best value more for the money camera as I want to add it to my Christmas list.
Thank you

NanaMacGeek Tue 16-Oct-18 16:58:17

We had a trail camera given to us last year. Although we have some fantastic shots of foxes and badgers, also next door's cat seeing off a fox, the camera seems to be unable to pick up anything smaller.

I'd google some reviews if I were you. I just came accross the following link which maybe of use:-
ww2.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/homesforwildlife/f/905/t/110988.aspx

jeanie99 Thu 18-Oct-18 01:28:58

Interesting link thanks for that.

shysal Thu 18-Oct-18 10:04:19

I have a Ltl Acorn 5210A and can highly recommend it. It has every function I could wish for. I used it when I had a nervous cat who only came in to eat at night, trained on the cat flap. I was also amazed at how many times my other cats went in and out! These days I use it for recording wildlife visits and also helped my neighbour find out which local cat was using her flap and eating all her cat's food.
Ltl Acorn trail camera

Freakyintel Fri 19-Oct-18 13:38:48

Those are quite expensive you know.
I suggest you just get a grandson/daughter and get them to watch over the garden.

Elegran Fri 19-Oct-18 14:35:41

I don't think the grandson/grandaughter will want to watch the garden all night and every night. They need sleep on at least some nights.

jeanie99 Sun 24-Feb-19 17:34:28

Received a trail camera bought me for Christmas which is wonderful BUT
It doesn't come with details for operating it.
doesn't say how to actually record by video/camera and play back.
There is a playback button but this doesn't seem to do anything.
Being a bit of a novice why don't the manufacturers say you do this and this and this and you get this.
They assume that everyone knows how to do things.
Asked daughter and she said read the instructions mum, I didn't realise until she had left ( isn't local) it didn't explain.
Sorry about the rant but I have spent the last 4 hours trying different things. It's time for a drink.

jeanie99 Sun 24-Feb-19 17:39:33

Forgot to say if anyone can help me I have the
Victor HC400

I would very much appreciate it.

tanith Sun 24-Feb-19 17:56:21

jeanie99 try utube there are instructions for everything there.

jeanie99 Sun 24-Feb-19 20:19:41

Youtube is great and I have tried but no insrtuctions for what I want.

NanaMacGeek Sun 24-Feb-19 21:10:51

jeanie99, is there a mistake about the make of your trail camera? When I googled it I noticed that there were some instructions on YouTube for a Victure HC 400 trail camera - just a thought. hmm

jeanie99 Mon 25-Feb-19 08:18:46

Hi , see link below to my camera.
thank you for your interest,
I set up the camera last night outside to see if it captures anything, not brought it in yet.
The manual included in the box list all the setting etc but doesn't say you need to press this button to set up a recording or what to do to playback the recording.
I do try to do things myself, hubby as no interest in cameras so basically trying to sort this myself and it's very frustrating.

www.amazon.co.uk/Victure-HC400-Wild-Vision-Camouflage/dp/B07FD1DTPP?tag=gransnetforum-21

jeanie99 Mon 25-Feb-19 08:31:21

I've just found a question and answers community on Amazon for my camera so have left a message, I'll see what replies I get.

jeanie99 Tue 26-Feb-19 00:42:51

I left the camera out in the garden last night switched on and it did record the movement of birds in the garden. My husband and I were caught on the video also.
Still don't have any idea how to replay from the camera but took out the memory card and viewed the video on my laptop. The quality was good so am very pleased.
I am getting there.