Gransnet forums

Technology

Any other technophobes?!

(65 Posts)
Honey1958 Wed 26-Dec-18 21:27:48

Hi anyone else on here who feels technology is beyond them?? Was thinking of getting an extra TV. I have a virgin package but have no idea if this would also work with the 2nd set. Then looked at TV's and came across smart TV's which link to the internet and download things?? No idea if I want one of these?! If I ask my daughter will probably not understand her reply. They have phones that do things like record TV when they are out of the house if they want to. Totally out of my depth and feel stupid and OLD! Thanks for listening to my rant.

Craicon Thu 27-Dec-18 12:39:34

I have a couple of fairly new large screen tv’s for watching satellite channels but with a smart stick attached for downloading Netflix etc.
I deliberately chose to not invest in smart tv technology as I was concerned that a rogue bit of programming could infect it and render it useless.
I’m the techno doo da in this house (but definitely not an expert) as DH has zero interest and has to have simple instructions in order to operate the tv.
I remember being keen to learn about technology in the late 70’s when my dad (electronics engineer) brought home various bits and bobs that he rigged up. He had one of the early Spectrum computers and I often think how much he’d enjoy playing with current technology. Sadly he died in the mid-eighties before home computers and the internet really took off. He was only 61.

Megs36 Thu 27-Dec-18 12:51:02

Mini moon how clever you are and not too hard up to have all this hi tec stuff.

EllanVannin Thu 27-Dec-18 12:52:58

I used to be quite a boffin with video equipment years ago, videoing holidays and events then transferring on to blank tapes to put through the recorder. In fact I still have a comparatively new video recorder in case the family are interested in the memories on tape. My late husband features in them too and it feels weird although I haven't had the courage to watch them since he died in 1994 where I have him at his final Christmas in '93.

petra Thu 27-Dec-18 13:29:00

Annie
i don't do tech
You do it everyday on here. grin
Honey1958
Can I ask how old you are?

pheasant75 Thu 27-Dec-18 13:47:26

Hi , lots of very interesting comments from postings,You could try Age UK i carried out lot of voluntary work showing people how to use Computer tablets and digital cameras etc
A pint you have to remember is you will have to pay for the landline for internet anyway and make sure the connection is unlimited .
A tablet is a very useful device and portable. i use mine for all channels with a chrome cast device nothing much on TV at times I wont go down the tech route as its everyone's choice !
so I would not worry to much if your happy as you are anyway don't forget Age UK locally good luck and Happy new year

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 27-Dec-18 14:00:45

Me too hillwalker I've managed to get to nearly 64 without entirely getting to grips with very modern technology. My mobile is certainly not smart and neither am I. I think that things have become much too complicated now.
BIL rang to wish me a merry Christmas and showed off his latest acquisition - an Alexa or suchlike. I expect he thought I'd be impressed. I made polite noises, but really, if I want to listen to music I'll get off my backside and put an LP on the music centre. If I'm bored I'll read a book. If this makes me a dinosaur I really don't care.

floorflock Thu 27-Dec-18 14:24:52

I fully agree, I am flumoxed by it all and don't even have a smart phone - just a phone that phones and texts and is absolutely brilliant - it has a camera too apparently but not sure how and where?!

sarahellenwhitney Thu 27-Dec-18 14:49:17

Todays technology is wonderful until its starts to go wrong usually when the guarantee has expired and find they don't make the parts for your model any more.

Anniebach Thu 27-Dec-18 15:13:13

.petra, on my iPad I enter my security code, click on mail, a local information group and GN, not safe googling ! I haven’t the foggiest what tech speak is

FlexibleFriend Thu 27-Dec-18 15:27:31

I recently bought a new smart tv and soundbar to replace a previous smart tv. The new one was a doddle plugged it in and it did everything itself. To get virgin on a second tv you'll need a second box which is around a tenner a month and they set it up for you.

Honey1958 Thu 27-Dec-18 15:32:00

So there are lots of technophobes like me. But also lots of folks who aren't! Thanks for all the advice. So many confusing terms and I'm only 60! Folks have mentioned Amazon echo, smart/firesticks, chrome cast,meobox. What on earth are all these?!!

oldbatty Thu 27-Dec-18 15:46:43

I don't think it will be survival of the digitally fittest. I think it will run its course and then somebody will reconsider talking to each other and skills like empathy and caring.

petra Thu 27-Dec-18 16:21:37

Annie
There's nothing mysterious about 'tech speak' it's just a 'language' that computer technicians/programmers/ engineers use.
Your right not to use google, I never do.

Anniebach Thu 27-Dec-18 16:27:27

Petra when I buy a new lap top I have to have Currys set it up for me. Still haven’t got to grips with Windows 10

petra Thu 27-Dec-18 16:49:42

Annie
I use Bing as my search engine, owned by Microsoft, chairman, Bill Gates, a man I admire who does so much good around the world.

MiniMoon Thu 27-Dec-18 17:14:08

Megs36, I'm not that clever, but I do understand most techy stuff. I don't have Sky tv, but I pay for Amazon Music Unlimited and Netflix. Our tv comes via Freesat. There are enough channels for our needs, and all the films and tv series I could possibly want. As we live in an area where radio reception is almost non-existent my Amazon Echo devices are paying for themselves. I 'd really rather listen to music than watch tv.

ayse Thu 27-Dec-18 17:27:28

I own laptop, iPad and smart TV and can manage Netflix etc. but DH is always around if I get stuck. He talks to his technology and this is where I draw a line! I’m NOT going to talk to a machine.
These days I usually buy an extended guarantee and this has been very useful because of the built in obsolescence. My last laptop crashed the day before the one year guarantee expired so got it fixed for free. DH has had a new replacem not laptop not so long ago because of technical problems. They even reset up a computer after a repair which has been great. I’ve not done this in the past but for computer technology it has been worthwhile.
We have a Samsung Smart TV that DH said it almost set itself up and we have found it OK for catch up but I prefer the IPad. I think all TVs are smart these days so not much choice really.
Good luck with a new one. I’m not quite sure if I’d manage it all without DH, TBH.

hereshoping Thu 27-Dec-18 17:45:45

I did Physics at university and worked as a design engineer before the children but I'm totally at sea with modern technology. Luckily my husband can set it up, but I don't know what I'll do if he goes first.
I've got the simplest possible mobile phone but after 15 years the battery doesn't last as long as it used to.
I've just got my husband's cast off I pad ( he couldn't get on with it) to read books from the library but am still a bit hit or miss and don't really know how to do anything else on it,
My daughter set it up for face time, and it was worth the money just to see my grandchildren at Christmas.

ayse Thu 27-Dec-18 17:55:10

I’m also not interested in linking my stuff to smart phone. Not talking to machines and don’t want it on my phone either where my data is permanently switched off. There is so much ‘spying ‘ going on that I feel big brother is always watching (hackers, global companies and government) and I find this very intrusive. Some criminals have managed to hook up their stuff to all the technology owned by some. Gives me the shivers.

harrigran Thu 27-Dec-18 18:06:12

We have two smart TVs and six recorders and I can not operate any of them, I can switch on one of the TVs but have not found the on/off button on the set in the music room so haven't used that TV. DH sets recorders which allows me to watch programmes if he does it for me.

mrsmopp Thu 27-Dec-18 18:18:30

Smart TV. Smart Car. Smart phone.
Every thing is smart except me. I'm stupid. Well I feel stupid. Can't get to grips with these devices. Glad it's not just me.

sodapop Thu 27-Dec-18 18:57:35

I'm with you luckyfour I don't like operating other people's computers or TVs in case I cause a disaster.
Hillwalker I do like the idea of a 'fart' phone smile
I can manage all the basics on my laptop, phone and tablet but if anything goes wrong I panic. I usually whatsapp my children or grandchildren for advice and can almost see their eyes rolling.

Willow500 Thu 27-Dec-18 19:14:33

Your Virgin package should work with a second set although you may need another connection in the room you're putting it in - presumably you have cable if you're on Virgin which is very good. If you get a smart TV and don't have anyone to set it all up for you ask someone from Virgin to talk you through it or get a TV engineer in.

I did think I was quite techno savvy but I don't know if it's an age thing or I just can't be bothered any more to try and keep up. hmm

kate1947 Thu 27-Dec-18 20:25:46

I have a normal tv and a DVD/HD recorder, so I can record , thinking in the future if I get a smart TV will my recorder still work?
I don't have super fast broadband and manage perfectly well with it, I have an I pad and a laptop, I don't even have a smartphone just an ordinary mobile to send texts and make occasional calls

1974cookie Thu 27-Dec-18 20:45:39

A few years ago, I VOWED that there was NO way that I would ever have a computer.
I could not understand them, I did not see the point of them, and I had managed without one all of my life. I did not need or want this kind of Technology.
My Brother eventually persuaded me otherwise as he was desperate to bring me up to date.
The rest as they say is History. Put it this way, when my last computer started going wrong and had become very dated, I ordered a new one the very next day.
And yes, I would do the same again.
Huge thanks to my Brother as I would never have known about Gransnet otherwise. ??.