Gransnet forums

Technology

Scary fraudsters

(32 Posts)
Jane10 Wed 06-Feb-19 10:56:22

I was talking to an IFA yesterday and he was telling me about some sophisticated new scams. Apparently hackers hack into emails to solicitors firms. These emails are often about large sums eg house sales or wills etc. The hacker then alters the email from a client to their solicitor to include new bank details and addresses ie theirs not the real clients. They use sophisticated algorithms to mirror exactly the clients usual forms of writing so look convincing. Proceeds from house sale etc then transferred to the hackers account. Nasty stuff. Obviously firms are on to this already and are taking steps to warn their clients etc but its a far cry from the old ones about 'Nigerian Princes' leaving us a fortune!

GabriellaG54 Thu 07-Feb-19 19:37:23

I meant headlines in newspapers, not on GN. I know people on here simply pass on what info they can to warn others. I was generalizing.

Lilyflower Fri 08-Feb-19 07:32:03

'My DD was caught by the TV licensing scam. She realised a couple of seconds after she had given her details that all was not well and hastily contacted her bank to freeze her account. It was a lucky escape but she spent a week in limbo as she completely shut down her bank account and started a new one with another bank. A week of inconvenience but it could have been so much worse.

Blinko Fri 08-Feb-19 09:10:50

Whenever I need to transfer a large amount anywhere (even to DCs) I transfer a small amount (say, £1 or so) first then check with the recipient by another method (phone/text) that it has arrived in their account. I then transfer the balance.

I would never transfer a large amount anywhere without taking this simple precaution.

Anyone else do this?

Cabbie21 Fri 08-Feb-19 09:45:02

We had, with hindsight, a lucky escape when we sold our house. We used a well known local family solicitor we had used several times before, and in fact knew her and her colleague outside of their work.
All went well for us, but a year or so later she was found guilty of embezzlement of the firm, including client money which should have been protected.
It was a huge shock to discover that someone we knew and trusted with all our legal affairs, wills, probate etc as well as house conveyancing, had stooped so low, driven by greed. A lucky escape for us.
Of course, insurance covers any losses to clients, but the old established family firm was closed down, the colleague had to find another job, after investigations cleared him absolutely. A worrying time for all concerned and shows that you can never be too careful.

Janal1 Fri 08-Feb-19 16:28:32

Annaram1.I also had a letter from someone from a Hong Kong bank with the same details as yours sometime last year.

albertina Thu 14-Feb-19 12:18:48

It is scary. I know. A few years ago I fell foul of fraudsters. I used to start typing www.sant.... for Santander bank in on Google to look at my account. Numerous addresses would come up even before I got to the "n" in Santander. I would click on the top one and be ok.

One day I clicked on it and had difficulty using the website. It said that verification of my identity was needed and they would send me a one off code on my mobile. They did that and I put the code in, not realising I had given them access to my current account. They took £600+. Luckily for me the bank was able to refund the money by teatime but not until I had spent the day proving who I was and generally worrying myself to a standstill.

I still bank online but am MUCH more cautious.