Gransnet forums

Technology

Chrome book

(13 Posts)
notoveryet Mon 25-Feb-19 08:38:58

Apologies if this has already been covered, did a search and couldn't see it. I have recently joined an organisation and am going to have to update my ICT, being totally reliant on my phone. I've been looking at chrome books. I need to be able to search the web, produce documents and print, from home via my internet connection. I'm attracted by their apparent simplicity and lack of security issues. Any one have any experience and advice?

FountainPen Mon 25-Feb-19 08:46:56

This is a question for NanaMcGeek but my inital reaction would be one of data security because of Chrome's reliance on cloud storage.

digitalguardian.com/blog/what-cloud-storage-security-securing-cloud-storage-usage

shysal Mon 25-Feb-19 09:08:08

The only thing I can say in favour of Chrome books, not having owned one myself, is that my GCs' secondary school hires them out to the pupils and they are pretty trouble-free.

Miep1 Mon 25-Feb-19 09:33:31

They are absolutely wonderful and I adore mine! Instant start, no faffing about with all sorts of Windows hang-up (- haven't used my Windows laptop since I got my Chromebook ) and excellent security. I've attached my printer easily. Where! I love Chromebooks!

Miep1 Mon 25-Feb-19 09:34:08

That was meant to read wheee!

GrannyLiv Mon 25-Feb-19 09:38:46

I use a Chromebook now after many years using a laptop.

The Chromebook is faster at browsing the internet and starts up instantly. I can produce documents with Googledocs which is already installed (like an app), but I can email 'Word' docs to myself and view/edit them on the Chromebook too.

There is no dvd drive, only a few usb ports and only the bare minimum internal storage, which is part of what makes it faster. It does mean that you will be saving documents to the Cloud - you get a certain amount of free storage with an option to buy an upgrade. I can print to the home printer via wifi without any issues.

As for using it for work - it is light and easy to carry, and the battery lasts for ages on a full charge so you don't have to worry too much about finding a plug point in public places! If the documents you intend to work on include other people's personal information or sensitive information of any type,I would recommend buying an external hard drive which you can plug in a usb port. If it is not sensitive or otherwise classified information you should be OK with the cloud storage, but you may need to check with your company whether they have any reservations with the cloud.

Hope this helps smile

NanaMacGeek Mon 25-Feb-19 12:10:44

I would think a Chromebook would be fine for your needs. They are simple to use, update seamlessly and secure, everything is managed by Google. You have to understand that Chromebooks keep their 'brains' in Google's cloud so they don't need to have expensive storage and processing inbuilt.

Once you understand the difference between a Chromebook and a conventional computer, you should be able to work out whether or not it will suit you. You will need a decent internet connection to Google's cloud, although you can work offline but may need to plan downloads to work on and you won't be able to carry out power/process hungry activities (e.g. editing videos, playing Fortnite shock etc. but it doesn't sound as if you want to). You will only be able to use apps provided by Google.

My only reservation is that I would not want to put my data exclusively into Google's hands but I'm a bit paranoid!

annodomini Mon 25-Feb-19 13:01:24

I'm on my second Chromebook. The first one is a Samsung and I wanted one that was a bit larger and found a 14" Acer on line. I sometimes get frustrated with Google Docs because when I send an attachment to someone who doesn't have that app, I have to send it as a pdf. Now, however, my DS1 has pointed out that there's a Word app that can be downloaded to the Chromebook and it works perfectly well. I couldn't find a desktop publishing app for Chromebook but the Word app can meet my needs. I see no reason why the OP shouldn't find the Chromebook adequate.

annodomini Mon 25-Feb-19 13:04:13

PS my Android phone syncs seamlessly with Chromebook for photographs and documents.

RosieLeah Mon 25-Feb-19 14:06:52

I bought a Chromebook after my laptop fell apart (literally). It's perfect for me...switch on and straight in...no waiting for downloads or updates. It is very basic though, there's no CD-Rom and it doesn't store much. I also have a desk-top computer for doing anything very involved.

Grandad1943 Mon 25-Feb-19 17:25:18

I have been using Chromebooks for the last four years both for work and pleasure and have always found them exceptional and very safe workhorses. However, the best developments have been brought forward by Google in the last eighteen months or so, as the latest models duel boot on startup into Google OS (the traditional operating system for Chromebooks) and Google Andriod which is the operating system which has always powered their phones.

The bove Chromebooks run both operating systems side by side, and switching into ether while the laptop is running is instantaneous and simple. As far as security is concerned the Google OS side is entirely uncompromised and therefore remains very safe from virus and malware infection, so no security software is required whatsoever while using that.

Microsofts Office 360 suite is now available for Chromebooks which makes then as productive as any windows based desktop or laptop for work-related tasks and collaboration with others. Of course, all tasks carried out in Chrome OS mode is entirely cloud-based which is why they are so secure.

However, it is the ability for Chromebooks to now swap into theGoogle Android operating system that makes them so versatile and IMHO a step above any other laptop on the market. There are on the Google play store now over two million apps that can be downloaded onto Chromebooks. Many of those apps were developed for Android phones, but a huge effort by Google, the Chromebook manufacturers and many of the app developers have made a very large percentage of those apps suitable for larger screen Chromebooks.

The above means that applications such as video and photo editing (in the form of Kinemaster, PowerDirecter and Photoshop apps) which has until now only been available for high-end Andriod phones is now available for larger screen Chromebooks along with many of the famous games that has made the Google Play store the great place that it is. However, security software is required to be installed when using a Chromebook in Google Andriod mode.

Google Andriod voice recognition software is now freely available to Chromebooks, so dictation that is carried out into documents on a Android phone is instantaneously available for final keyboard edit under Chrome OS by use of a Chromebook. In that, the use of the cloud to transfer any document to Chrome OS is required, but that is a straightforward task once learned.

Our company now has nine of the twenty-eight workstations in the main open office operating under the Google Chrome Operating System, which means that the businesses owned Chromebooks and Android phones can wirelessly cast to the large screens on those workstations for use by any member of a collaboration team. Further workstation is to be converted as the Microsoft Windows Systems presently employed on those stations become redundant.

Hope this helps and demonstrates the great confidence many companies are building up in the Google system(s)

NanaMacGeek Mon 25-Feb-19 19:49:22

Thank you for you post, Grandad1943, the ability to download Android apps on the newer Chromebooks had passed me by. While I appreciate that Chome OS is pretty secure, the additional availability of the (1.5 million) Android apps from the Playstore will introduce some vulnerabilities, as you say, some additional security will be needed.

Chromebook users still need to be careful which permissions they grant to allow (Android) apps to run and take proper precautions with passwords and to avoid scams.

notoveryet Tue 26-Feb-19 13:29:44

Thank you all, I really appreciate your advice. To be honest I think my needs are so basic the older version would suit me fine.