Gransnet forums

Technology

Recommendation for outdoor security camera

(30 Posts)
jeanie99 Mon 25-Mar-19 21:18:09

After malicious damage to our car on the drive we are considering having an outdoor security camera installed.
Does anyone have this type of camera and could provide us with advice.

jeanie99 Sun 31-Mar-19 11:45:33

Thank you everyone for your responses.
Anja
I was very interested in the bell which has a camera in it, I assume no one would know it is there?
Having a camera in the house sounds brilliant which gives food for thought.

callgirl1 Sun 31-Mar-19 23:14:09

The make of ours is Sentient, and they didn`t cost a fortune from Maplins

jeanie99 Wed 03-Apr-19 21:43:02

I did receive a recommendation from Next Door and the young man came round yesterday.
He did give me some advice and I have a better understanding of our requirements and what is best for my family.
However considering he installs systems which run 4 cameras for recording and I only need one the approximate price tag of £800 was OTT.
He did suggest one of the stand alone cameras which sit on an inside windowsill which might work for us.
The negatives are the recording can show glare with double glazed windows.
The night vision needs a good light source outside and various adjustments need to be made setting up the camera.
This all depends on which camera we buy.
I am still checking out the makes people are suggesting.
Thank you everyone.

llizzie2 Thu 04-Apr-19 03:15:16

Are you allowed to recommend on this thread? I do not have a mobile phone and need something which does not require a phone. If I make enquiries people want to sell you anything. Most of my garden is in the front and it is not overlooked. I know who does the vandalism but the police want evidence. From what I have seen on TV programmes most people hide their faces from cameras so you don't know who they are. Last summer someone vandalised the radon gas pipe and cover above the ground at the rear near the extension which had to be incorporated into the foundations with the sump above ground. Only a few people knew it was there - namely the viewers when I had the house up for sale who asked what it was. The only access to that is from next door yet without evidence it is impossible to charge. Several times over the years the police have climbed up and removed stuff covering my gas flue pipe on the roof yet they say they have to have proof. It is very difficult to know what is best when they are all trying to sell you something.