Gransnet forums

Technology

Technophobe needs a new smartphone

(51 Posts)
lilypollen Wed 10-Apr-19 23:33:56

My trusty Galaxy Note 2 of the past 5 years is dead. Contrary to family pressure I don't want iPhone. Need a relatively simple Android smartphone with a good package, any help really gratefully received.

Miep1 Sat 11-May-19 14:33:30

I have a BlackBerry Key2 and love it, because it has buttons to actually push to type! Wouldn't have anything else and BlackBerry are now Android so all smartphone features at hand; have 256 memory and camera is brilliant

crazyH Sat 11-May-19 00:00:39

My grandson gave his old iphone6 .....I told him I would give him something for it....come to think of it, I still owe him ?

lilypollen Fri 10-May-19 23:55:29

I've ended up buying a Sony Experia l3.

lilypollen Sun 28-Apr-19 19:32:19

Never heard of Doro but having looked at it I think it might suit me fine. Glad to have listened to all the comments from you.

BrandyButter Thu 18-Apr-19 09:28:02

I had Nokia for years very reliable but now have a Huawei P Smart and the first thing I saw was you can use it on 'Simple' Mode, I never looked back smile smile

craftyone Thu 18-Apr-19 07:24:40

Another little step forward in that all my e mails are now going to my note9 as well as laptop. Sis has been telling me how to save them in the cloud. I don`t want to order a sim only package yet because I complete on my new house next week and they need my address.

So I have learnt about tethering and my note9 can be used as a tethering wireless hotspot, so I can access internet on my laptop when I move. No worries now about getting landline and broadband in a hurry. Will be using 4G and vod seems to have the best coverage indoors as well as out

Heck ai is an amazing phone. I have a little old basic phone, fully loaded with O2payg, so will have another backup anyway.

I have been filling the calendar on note, using the s pen. Don`t want to fiddle too much yet

lilypollen Wed 17-Apr-19 21:48:32

Thanks so much for all the input from you. I'm definitely going to stick with Samsung despite DH, and DSs saying no. I've got DH's old iPhone as a stopgap and don't like it.....and I've tried.

JoyBloggs Sun 14-Apr-19 20:18:46

Very pleased with my Samsung J5, now nearly 2 years old. It replaced an earlier Samsung model which was also excellent but I just wanted the larger screen. As well as using it for phoning and texting it's fine for emails when I'm out and about and the camera is good for everyday snaps and videos. Also have a Samsung tablet which is great. Both phones were bought at a large Tesco, I found their deals very competitive and it suits me being able to pop in with any queries. The staff have always been really helpful.

craftyone Sun 14-Apr-19 19:18:37

well I am chuffed. Got some of my audible books downloaded and am now listening to donovan on amazon prime music. Did a biometric, my fingerprints and will get a sim as soon as I can. Lovely sound

craftyone Sun 14-Apr-19 06:12:34

I get my main advice from my son who is an IT project manager. He has a note 8, says it is the best he has ever had, he is looking for various tutorials for me

I need to stop being afraid of it, knowing that once a google username is in place it can never be deleted, was afraid of that happening to other processes but I have since learnt to add other gmail addresses. The original one was too fancy, I never realised that it would be forever

craftyone Sun 14-Apr-19 06:02:56

I found out that 3 of my relatives have a samsung note and they love the samsung. Mine arrived yesterday afternoon and I have not got a sim yet, no mobile signal here but will have one when I move. What I did yesterday took me a lot longer than most because I am learning from scratch. I have set it up to receive my 2 different e mails, one a gmail and the other a generic one. A big relief and multi tested, so at least I will be able to access my e mails when I move. No idea when landline will be connected

I am going to study any tutorials I can find later

oh yes I put an armour back on it and a glass front, it feels solid and safe now. It is big and has a lovely clear screen and I love using that pen. I would say it is a handbag phone, not a pocket phone

jeanie99 Sat 13-Apr-19 09:11:26

If you are concerned about security the I Phone is the only one to purchase.
I bought mine last year on the advice of my son, replaced it after having a PAYG for many years.
It cost me £279 from Car Phone Warehouse.
I use it mainly for Facetime and sending messages which I couldn't do on my old phone.
It did take me sometime to get used to it, I can even send photographs now.
I would take advice if I were you.

lilypollen Fri 12-Apr-19 22:42:53

Thank you all for input. I've ben using DH's old iPhone for the past 2 weeks and don't like it. I will stick with Samsung and your experiences will help. Now need to decide whether to go PAYG or contract.

4allweknow Fri 12-Apr-19 22:35:36

I use Samsung. When wanting to upgrade I always go for a refurbished phone generally about two versions below the latest model. Buy these from Giffgaff my phone provider.

Daisyboots Fri 12-Apr-19 22:29:44

Lupatria my DH changed to a Samsung Galaxy 9 last November from an SG8 and has had nothing but problems with it. My contract is up next month and don't know whether to upgrade to SG 10 or go for a sim only dealwhich is less than half the price .

Itsmyfirstrodeo Fri 12-Apr-19 22:10:05

I have a OnePlus 3. I changed from an iPhone to this and have never looked back. So easy to use. I'll never get back on that Apple treadmill again

EthelJ Fri 12-Apr-19 20:08:59

I recently bought a Huawei P smart and love it. It's very easy to use. The battery lasts much longet than my old HTC that I had to charge several times a day and it had twice as much memory. I bought it for 200 and have a sim only contract because that seemed much cheaper than a full monthly contract with the phone

hilarious Fri 12-Apr-19 18:39:59

Look at the DORO 8035 or 8040, Lilypollen.

Simple Android 'phones recommended by 'Which'

tanith Fri 12-Apr-19 18:36:32

Almost all the phone shops or Tesco .

Frannytoo Fri 12-Apr-19 18:23:29

Sorry, me again, where can one buy the Samsung Galaxy phones?

Frannytoo Fri 12-Apr-19 18:21:33

Thank you for all this advice. I had just spent half an hour 'surfing' to find a phone for my husband who will be 90 next week. What good timing!

fairisle Fri 12-Apr-19 18:13:01

I have a Samsung Galaxy A3 (2015) 4 years old and still going strong,i especially like the camera.

nettyandmasey Fri 12-Apr-19 18:10:11

iPhone for me to as I like to FaceTime

trendygran Fri 12-Apr-19 18:09:30

I have had my Samsung Galaxy J5 for a few years now and I’m still very happy with it. A friend keeps telling me thatI need an iPhone,but I am happy with the Android.
I do have an iPad,which I use along with the phone,,so have the best of both worlds really. Would buy another Samsung if I decided to change my phone.

jocork Fri 12-Apr-19 16:28:35

I put off getting a smart phone for ages as I was afraid I wouldn't know how to use it being a bit of a technophobe. In the end my DD gave me her old i-phone which is mostly quite easy to use. I still have trouble with some things though, so I might have more difficulties with android. DD says i-phones are the most intuitive.