Gransnet forums

Technology

HELP!

(21 Posts)
Ohmother Wed 10-Jul-19 23:22:51

Thanks again all. I’ll keep a close eye on the direct debit for sure! ?

blondenana Tue 09-Jul-19 15:28:53

If you think you are still paying for your actual phone now your contract has finished,you need to check your direct debit that your money isn't still being taken
EE were charging me for ringing my mobile from my home phone when i was trying to locate my mobile, even when it wasnt connecting,they said one call was answered, how? anyway i told them i was leaving them, i have my internet and landline with EE
They offered me a very good deal to stay with them ,so i did, but my mobile is with o2, mainly because all my calls to my son in Spain are not charged

midgey Tue 09-Jul-19 15:08:21

I am with Giffgaff, free calls to other Giffgaff numbers, £6 a month and I don’t usually use all allowances.

ElaineI Tue 09-Jul-19 13:36:23

Have never had problems with Vodafone. Usually look up deals online first. When I first changed after my contract was up I just ordered a new sim only deal online and old contract was cancelled automatically. If you change companies the new company cancels old deal same as changing energy companies online. Done that too - very easy. I don't understand if you went to Tesco they should have sorted it all for you.

Ohmother Tue 09-Jul-19 11:47:31

Update. I was eventually unlocked by EE yesterday after numerous phone calls to them. One chap said during one conversation the call was ‘dropped’ so they didn’t proceed. The same one as the girl told me to hold whilst she enquired from the unlocking team what the estimated unlocking date would be. I had to try and find a way in as if it’s a mobile phone enquiry you have to type in your number. WELL seeing as I've ended my contract with them they didn’t recognise my number! Aaaaaagh! I phoned as though I wanted to begin a contract with them and then told them about my issue. Soooo MartinsMoneyWebsite...it’s not as easy as it should be just transferring your number. ?

NanaMacGeek Mon 01-Jul-19 12:20:24

Why don't you ring EE and ask them what you have to do to get a better deal? Did you set up your contract originally at £30 a month or are you paying extra for data? I have set a data cap on my EE phone so get a text if I'm running out.

I also make sure that I keep mobile data turned off and only turn it on when I don't have access to WiFi and need to go online, then turn it off again when I have finished. Like Willow500 suggests, I have also stopped apps from carrying out background updates using mobile data.

If your phone contract has finished, you should have been switched to a SIM only deal which is much cheaper. EE rang me when my last contract finished and put me on the SIM only deal. All the mobile phone companies have been fined by Offcom for not carrying out end of contract updates.

Ohmother Mon 01-Jul-19 11:57:00

My contract had run out in April with EE but it started today that you can change over to another supplier via text and take your number in 2 days. Not the usual wait.

Ohmother Mon 01-Jul-19 11:54:43

I’ve beeb up to Tesco and taken out a 1 year contract to pay £14 a month for 10g and loads of texts, messages etc. This is what the girl advised after looking at my bill. Actually she advised a 4g contract but after checking with EE I had used 5.7 g of data one month in the last 3 months so I’ve plumped for this for a year.

Septimia Mon 01-Jul-19 11:02:34

I've got PAYG with O2. I get a number of free texts when I top up but don't use my phone for the internet. Once my credit gets below £10 I top up again. So far it's worked well for me.

FlexibleFriend Mon 01-Jul-19 10:02:51

I think you need an inclusive sim only deal. You've paid for your phone so now most of your charge is sheer profit for the phone company. Sim only you can get pretty much what you want for a fraction of your current bill. I have unlimited calls and texts and a small amount of data for £9 a month because I use my laptop for online, but there are great deals out there for 12 and 15 quid. My son has unlimited calls and texts plus 40 gb of data and a Samsung s9 for £29 a month which is what your paying so yes you are paying too much and need to change but you can stay with pay monthly and get what you need.

ElaineI Mon 01-Jul-19 09:29:24

Unless you change the contract yourself no one will inform you that the contract you had is finished. That's how they make a lot of money! Check roughly how much data, calls and messages you send - look at bills over last few months then get a sim free contract that covers the data you need which will be much cheaper. PAYG would be expensive if you go online a lot. You can swap companies to as others have suggested but check there is good 4G coverage in your area if you are doing that.

notentirelyallhere Mon 01-Jul-19 09:24:23

If you've signed a contract you may find it'll cost you to transfer to another. It's worth doing some research to see what else is available. Carphone Warehouse are good to talk to.

I've been with 3 for about 5 years. I pay £22 a month for a good phone and (without checking the details) am able to send all the texts I need, make a reasonable number of calls and endlessly go online. I've never needed to exceed my allowance, the network coverage is brilliant. I wouldn't be with anyone else.

Pittcity Mon 01-Jul-19 09:23:18

You need to swap contracts once your initial period is over otherwise you will be paying for the phone as well as calls etc for ever.
Ask for a SIM only contract if you're happy with your phone.

Nico97 Mon 01-Jul-19 09:18:29

Check out Plusnet too. Both DH and myself are paying six and eight quid per month respectively and that covers everything - we shop, browse, email and text. Might be worth doing an online area mobile reception check to see which provider comes out top and then try to work yours into that ? Good luck grin

ninathenana Mon 01-Jul-19 08:41:37

A word of caution, Tesco phone reception is notoriously rubbish in our area and I know someone who lives in another county who changed due to the same problem.

Ohmother Mon 01-Jul-19 07:03:32

Mumofmafboys. Thanks. I may nip up to Tesco’s today to see what I can do. I would like to up my data allowance so yours seems like a good deal.

Ohmother Mon 01-Jul-19 07:01:52

Thanks Willow500. There are very few add on chargers if any. It seems I’m still paying for my iPhone on the contract that I have finished last April. Could that be possible?

Willow500 Mon 01-Jul-19 06:56:30

By the way if you're going online on your phone without a data allowance that will cost you - also check your phone isn't updating apps when you're not connected to your wi-fi.

Willow500 Mon 01-Jul-19 06:54:28

I've just changed my husband's EE account to the same one I'm on with Virgin. It was easy to do online and EE provided the PAC code straight away which I gave to Virgin when I set up his account. His new SIM is now on its way. He gets 1500 minutes, free texts and 10GB of data a month for £10. EE didn't seem to even want to give him an alternative deal!

mumofmadboys Mon 01-Jul-19 06:29:54

I am with Tesco for £9 a month and that includes data, texts and calls. Also new phone every two years is included. Had this contract for some while. Seems good value to me

Ohmother Mon 01-Jul-19 06:14:19

My EE phone contract is over £30 a month! I go online but I’ve free texts and call time. How did THAT happen???

I want to get a PAYG set up to cut costs and still go on line. Can I do this?