Gransnet forums

Technology

netbook recommendation please

(15 Posts)
NanaMacGeek Sat 24-Aug-19 23:08:55

This is a useful article, it's worth reading right through.
www.trustedreviews.com/best/best-laptops-3431966
Whatever you want, you will have to compromise.

Microsoft make their Office 365 suite available for Apple, Android and some Chromebooks now support it. You are not confined to Windows 10 to use Excel and Word. I use Office 365 on my Apple devices, earlier versions of the Office Suite were a bit flaky but now they run very well (apart from the inevitable Microsoft updates every time I turn on my devices). Personally, I think the Windows operating system is reaching the end of the line and learning to adapt to other operating systems will pay dividends in terms of cost, efficiency and function in future.

jeanie99 Sat 24-Aug-19 22:26:13

Thank you everyone for your comments.
My understanding is that a Chromebook is basically for browsing and is not suitable for my requirements.
I need a netbook which I can run windows on and I can use excel spreadsheets and word documents. I can use a memory stick 256 gb for photos and videos.
Because I will need to use windows 10, 2gb is of no use to me. I need at least 4gh ram better still 8 gb.
Anything which seems to be ideal is very expensive.
I've decided to wait and see if there are any deals in the run up to Christmas fingers crossed.
I will use a dongle for my next trip, free WIFI can be very unreliable.
Thanks again everyone.

NanaMacGeek Wed 21-Aug-19 16:36:33

I've never used a Chromebook, I'm used to Windows and Apple, but several people I know are pleased with their Chromebook. I attach a link which I think is helpful:-
www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/laptop/best-chromebooks-2019-3528995/

You need a good internet connection to operate a Chromebook, but don't have to worry about updates and antivirus, this is all done for you. You would have to get used to using alternatives to Windows software.

If you are travelling with any computer and rely on using free WiFi, I would recommend that you install a VPN on any computer you buy to encrypt your connection to the internet.

absthame Wed 21-Aug-19 15:05:12

I'm a computer dealer. Most computers/laptops have two standards. Consumer units and business units, the later being built to provide higher reliability but are generally more expensive and less glitzy than the consumer units. Broadly speaking if it's a business unit it will be running Windows 10 Pro while consumer units run home or a none specified version of Windows 10.

A major problem that causes PCs to run slowly is the mass of software running in background and often on the net. Such is the impact of this Bloatware that it pays to remove any apps or programs that you do not specifically need or use. If your not sure if you need it, Google the program name.

Another issue that can kill your machine is a poor anti-virus program that takes too many resources. For machines that I support, I will only accept Panda Active Defense 360, that is because it is very light and will not permit anything to run that is not already approved of. However it is relatively expensive. Panda produce much less expensive systems called Panda Dome but for people who want not to pay their free version has won many awards and can be found at: www.pandasecurity.com/uk/homeusers/solutions/free-antivirus/

Be very aware that many banks imply that you need to use their free antivirus to be safe. This product goes under several names and is for most computers an absolute killer. Finally never ever have more than one antivirus or firewall program installed on a computer it will almost bring it to a stop.

jeanie99 Fri 16-Aug-19 01:50:55

Miepl
I use Excel and Word can I use these on a Chromebook and create new files or is this a problem.

jeanie99 Fri 16-Aug-19 01:40:48

Thanks for all that it's much appreciated.
Like I said it is to take with me when I travel. The images I take I save to a memory stick and transfer to my laptop when home, so don't need a huge memory.
Obviously need the USB preferably 3, and a better response time. I need the keyboard for touch typing as I keep in touch while traveling.
I'll check out the Chromebook and the Lynx 10 if they are in stock locally, I would ideally like to purchase before October as we are away then.
Some years ago my son installed a SSD in my old netbook it was an improvement but still not fast enough.

fizzers Thu 15-Aug-19 13:22:08

An SSD is a Solid State Drive, as opposed to a traditional hard drive. They are more expensive but typically faster and more reliable. In netbooks they are a smaller capacity - so if you are likely to want to download or store photos etc you would need to store them on an online facility.

My Lynx 10" comes with keyboard which is detachable, I can also use a mouse with it.

Some netbooks have a full sized USB slot others have the micro slot.

best to Google and see what each has to offer and suits your needs.

Miep1 Thu 15-Aug-19 12:01:14

Jeanie99 in my limited understanding of these things, yes there is an ss in the Chromebook but not very large, most stuff is stored in the cloud. But there are USB ports, so you could easily transfer things. Best thing to do is have a look at one, online or in person. I find the tablets with optional keyboards too fussy to use, had one and it drove me nuts!

kittylester Thu 15-Aug-19 11:50:22

Bump

kittylester Wed 14-Aug-19 11:58:36

I'm going to ask really stupid questions on thos thread like:

What is a SSD netbook?

And, can I use a USB with a netbook?

fizzers Wed 14-Aug-19 11:09:57

I have a Lynx 10" windows 10 tablet/laptop it has a detachable keyboard so it can be used as a laptop or in tablet mode. It does what I want it to do.

jeanie99 Wed 14-Aug-19 10:21:41

Thank you Miepl
is this a SSD netbook
Could you explain for the novice that I am.

Miep1 Wed 14-Aug-19 10:14:48

Hi I'd recommend an Acer Chromebook. They come with various screen sizes, are really fast and knock Windows computers into a cocked hat!

RosieLeah Wed 14-Aug-19 10:11:50

I shall be watching this thread with interest. I bought a Lenovo tablet and I'm not impressed with it at all. I am currently using a Chromebook, but I also want a smaller version..like a tablet but with a keyboard.

jeanie99 Wed 14-Aug-19 09:53:16

I'm looking to replace my very old netbook, it's still working but slow.
It's for travel and I'm looking for any recommendations.
Not Lenovo had so many issues with my laptop right from the off so am avoiding them.
No tablets want a keyboard.
Thank you.