Gransnet forums

Technology

TV Newbie

(6 Posts)
Jennerdysphoria Wed 13-Nov-19 08:23:10

Thankyou for this information. A friend who updates her tv's regularly is going to lend me a discarded one to see how I get on with it.

petra Thu 07-Nov-19 21:03:38

It sounds as if you have an internet speed problem if your screen is juddering and pausing.

What do you mean by 'small' ? there are 10" ones on Amazon for under £90.

tanith Thu 07-Nov-19 20:57:59

The juddering and pausing on laptop and tablet will be to do with the speed of your broadband I would think. I too suggest asking for advice at your local electrical store.

crazyH Thu 07-Nov-19 20:57:54

I don't know much about TVs. I have an old 32" in the Living Room, but I hardly watch it, because I spend most of my time in the kitchen/dining room, in a comfy armchair (btw I live on my own). So I have a 19" LG flat screen, portable TV...its all I need. As I understand, a smart TV is one which has wifi capabilities and hence you can access the internet etc. I think you will need a new aerial as well.
Someone more knowledgeable than me will come along and give you more information and guidance. Good luck.

BlueBelle Thu 07-Nov-19 20:46:31

What do you mean about juddering and pausing I watch lots of tv on my iPad and never experience that
My TV is using the same aerial as my others used to use and yes I just have Freeview on my (larger than you want) flat screen tv
Go and have a look round your local electrical store and see what you fancy or an Argos catalogue s a good resource

Jennerdysphoria Thu 07-Nov-19 20:27:14

I last watched tv before the digital switch-over, and for many years did not watch at all (preferring radio). Recently I have been trying to watch tv on my laptop or tablet, but find the pausiing and juddering unacceptable. I would now like to buy a tv, but don't know where to start. I want something smalll (so will not dominate the living room) and ideally portable, without trailing cables. I would be happy with freeview only, but understand most tv's are smart nowadays. Is there such a thing as a simple, basic, portable tv anymore? Will I need to plug into an aerial socket, and will my pre-digital days aerial be ok?