Gransnet forums

Technology

You rang?

(43 Posts)
Elegran Wed 04-Mar-20 08:41:03

Here is an interesting acount of how Amazon logs interactions with its Ring doorbell systems - anonymised, but very detailed, data, the latitude and longitude co-ordinates of the two devices. Amazon says it uses the information to evaluate, manage and improve its products and services.

' One expert said it gave Amazon the potential for even broader insight into its customers' lives.

"What's most interesting is not just the data itself, but all the patterns and insights that can be learned from it," commented independent privacy expert Frederike Kaltheuner.

"This isn't just about privacy, but about the power and monetary value that is attached to this data." '

www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51709247

Scentia Wed 04-Mar-20 16:52:56

I hate using Amazon for my kindle but I was told that the books you download from other sites will not be readable on an amazon kindle, is this correct?

Elegran Wed 04-Mar-20 16:58:17

It is an Amazon Kindle, intended for displaying books in Kindle format, which you have bought on Amazon and are kept in your Amazon online account.

It is possible to download books in the Kindle format from elswhere to read. I shall go and check the details of what, where, and how and return to post again when I have done that.

Elegran Wed 04-Mar-20 17:10:00

Scentia Kindle format is a version of MOBI format.
"A file with the .MOBI file extension is used for storing eBooks. It was originally a Mobipocket Reader format but has since been adopted by several different readers as well. Amazon purchased Mobipocket in 2005, and later discontinued the MOBI format in 2011.

A MOBI file is specifically designed for mobile—or eReader—devices. The format is very lightweight in size and supports bookmarks, notes, corrections, and JavaScript. Also contained in the file, along with the eBook, could be DRM, or copyright protection, to prevent copying and illegal viewing.

The current Kindle formats (AZW3, KF8, and KFX) are based on MOBI and is a proprietary format exclusively used on Kindle devices. And, in fact, you can still open files with the MOBI format directly on your Kindle—you just have to send them to your Kindle first"

I can borrow library books in Kindle format through the Public Library's "Overdrive" app. More about that at
www.wikihow.com/Access-UK-Library-Books-on-a-Kindle or ask at your own library.

Scentia Wed 04-Mar-20 17:14:53

Thank you Elegran

Treebee Wed 04-Mar-20 19:14:00

Abe Books are really good, I’ve used their service several times for used books, but they are owned by Amazon.

Missfoodlove Wed 04-Mar-20 19:24:52

Amazon Alexa is essentially a listening device but so is your smart phone.
I’m afraid it is the down of the wonderful technology we have available to us.

On a positive note Amazon has such a poor reputation as an employer yet few people are aware of their enrichment programs.
Our son has worked for them in an IT role in Prague for 3 years, hey have been excellent employers.
I have cut and pasted a paragraph from their website.

Career Choice

Career Choice is available to Amazon hourly associates who have been employed for one continuous year. With this program, the company pre-pays 95% of tuition and fees for associates to earn certificates and associate degrees in high-demand occupations such as aircraft mechanics, computer-aided design, machine tool technologies, medical laboratory science, dental hygiene, solar technician and nursing, to name a few.

We exclusively fund education only in areas that are in high demand according to sources like UK Labour Market Statistics, and we fund those areas regardless of whether those skills are relevant to a career at Amazon

pinkquartz Wed 04-Mar-20 19:26:33

Monica

Did you know abebooks is owned by Amazon?

pinkquartz Wed 04-Mar-20 19:29:37

Amazon is wonderful for those of us that are housebound.

All the big online companies are collecting data on us.

Don't forget that the NHS has sold our data to American Pharma and lied to us sayin it was anonymous when it isn't?

We know where we stand with Amazon and for those that can afford to use Waterstones, then you have the choice.

Hetty58 Wed 04-Mar-20 19:42:16

I use Amazon fairly often. I'd join Prime, too, if I needed to. I think £79 a year is an ansolute bargain for deliveries and TV - especially compared to using a car.

Although I won't have a smart meter (for security reasons) I'm not concerned about firms collecting other data.

I have a Ring doorbell that I find very useful. OK, it collects data about comings and goings - but only at the front door. Sometimes we go out through the back garden. Unlike a smart meter, it's recordings don't indicate whether the property is occupied.

GreenGran78 Wed 04-Mar-20 22:18:28

MOnica thanks for the tip about abc books. I will have a look.

pinkquartz Wed 04-Mar-20 23:34:50

abebooks is owned by Amazon

M0nica Thu 05-Mar-20 07:28:38

pinkquartz thank you for that information. I did not know it.

I will try and avoid them in future. They are not the only fish in the sea.

NotSpaghetti Thu 05-Mar-20 10:55:44

Monica you might like to try Biblio for second hand and antiquarian books.

M0nica Thu 05-Mar-20 14:20:13

Notspaghetti Thanks for that lead. I went straight Biblio to it and decided to put it to the test. I entered a book I read as a child and enjoyed. A little known book by a little known author. I have idly looked for a copy a number of times over the years without success.

I went on Biblio and was offered 2 copies and I have bought 1.

Thank you so much flowers

pinkquartz Thu 05-Mar-20 15:15:46

Good to know about Biblio.

I do shop at amazon but I also shop at many independant other places.
Rymans the office supplies shop often sells those Really Useful Boxes -(it's a brand of box and they are very good)- Much cheaper than Amazon and Free delivery if you spend over £40 rymans sells all kinds of office related items

NotSpaghetti Thu 05-Mar-20 18:26:01

Great M0nica!
I have an antiquarian book dealer friend who sells on Biblio (not sure if he still sells on Abe but did used to do so). I hope it works well for you. I’ve had no problems with it and have used it quite a lot.

eazybee Thu 05-Mar-20 19:28:48

I never use amazon after having been conned into signing up to amazon prime, which I didn't need. I prefer to shop using local shops, and was horrified when visiting the town centre to see how many shops were closed and closing.
That being said, at present I can drive, and have plenty of time. I listened to a lady of 92 who internet shops for nearly everything, for much the same reasons as RomyP gives, and it is a lifesaver for her.
I am just sorry that the chance to browse is disappearing, and how do you choose new makeup when all the cosmetic departments have gone?