Gransnet forums

Technology

Is it me? Tesco delivery help pleeeeese!

(26 Posts)
NfkDumpling Tue 07-Apr-20 13:01:13

We have a Tesco store within easy reach so I’ve never needed on-line shopping, but now we’re in isolation for another ten weeks and three days. Sooo, Tesco on-line shopping:

All set up,
List made,
Obviously delivery slots all full,
So - it says at the top of the page:

“In self-isolation? Please let us know
Just tell us via the delivery instructions box near the bottom of this page”

I can’t find a delivery instructions box. Am I going mad?

HAZBEEN Tue 07-Apr-20 13:11:26

No you are not! The delivery instruction box is only there after you have booked! The new slots come online just before/after midnight so if you are online then you go in a queue, dont close the window because you lose your place. If you on the government list for shielding you need to phone them to register then you will get priority slots. But it takes forever on hold to get through!

NfkDumpling Tue 07-Apr-20 13:17:02

I did try phoning but gave up after nearly an hour as the tune was doing my head in! DH is on the shielding list - so I am too as it really isn’t practical to live separately in the same house for twelve weeks!

Crafty, making the delivery slot box inaccessible!

Will try ringing again. Thanks.

Sussexborn Tue 07-Apr-20 13:24:18

Try putting the phone on speaker so at least it’s not right in your ear and you can get on with something else.

Jane10 Tue 07-Apr-20 13:28:14

Good luck Nfk! Hope you can make contact soon.
Are there any local organisations that could collect and deliver your shopping?

Gagagran Tue 07-Apr-20 13:40:11

I got a Tesco click and collect slot about 8.30pm last night - for this afternoon! Really thrilled as we are 78 and 77 and I have asthma so should not be queuing for ages just to get in store. The hour supposedly set aside for shoppers like us has been very oversubscribed with long queues, so I have tried at all times of day and night for a home delivery or click and collect. Success last night - hurrah!

NfkDumpling Tue 07-Apr-20 21:03:35

I’ve done it!!!

Strangely, when I eventually got through, she kept insisting that I had a different screen to the one I had as DH was on their list, and when I re-entered the site - there it was! Delivery is coming on Thursday afternoon!

I now feel really bad for our DC who can’t get slots for love nor money.

The Oldies slot at our local Tesco is really crowded so most people are avoiding it!

jeanie99 Sat 02-May-20 03:19:59

If you are in the vulnerable category with the 12 week stay at home there is a number you ring. Ring Tesco and they will give it to you.
I think you book in a different way to us.
We are in our 70s with health issues but not vulnerable.
The slot changes come during the night every night and it's not just at 12 am it can be anytime from 12 am.
Some nights its been passed 2am, you need to wait up.
I am registered on all of the supermarket sites and have only just today managed to get a delivery from Morrisons, mainly for us it's Tesco and Asda. Waitrose and Iceland I have never managed to get a slot. You have to be patience and manage delivery slots to get them.

jeanie99 Sat 02-May-20 03:23:22

Just wanted to mention that AgeUk are doing meals for vulnerable people
21 meals for £20

Please pass this on to people who may be interested.

kittylester Sat 02-May-20 07:36:52

Sainsbury's is good as it recognises me as over 70 and offers me loads of slots. But, my daughter cant find a slot at all.

Daisymae Sat 02-May-20 08:53:54

M and s have a selection of food boxes if people are having problems. Obviously not ideal but good for emergencies.

Grandad1943 Sat 02-May-20 08:55:34

We have noticed in the North Somerset area that slots for the day/date that it actually is become vacant early in the morning.

The above has led us to believe that people book deliveries long before they actually require them and then cancel late on the evening before the delivery day when they realise there is nothing they require.

I have looked at around 7am on several mornings and been amazed to see slots bookable for that day, and at times the next day.

You then have to be quick compiling your order though.

MiniMoon Sat 02-May-20 09:07:02

My DD does all her shopping online. She has autoimmune problems and will not go to the supermarket at the moment. To get a delivery slot, she sets her alarm for 3 am, and goes online then. Most of the time she is successful.

pollyperkins Sat 02-May-20 09:07:10

I cant get onto waitrose or Sainsbury's as they say I'm not on their vulnerable list despite being in mid 70s. But I did manage to get a tescos slot as I woke at 2 am for the loo and thought Id check again and suddenly there was a slot! For three weeks time. Very exciting. But beware, you can only get 80 things which is annoying. You have to choose £40 worth of stuff to reserve your booking but can alter it as many times as you like right up to midnight the night before delivery. And I couldnt find the box for delivery instructions.
I couldn't possibly stay awake till midnight but waking up at 2 worked for me.

Rosalyn69 Sat 02-May-20 09:53:33

Ocado have stepped up and are allowing me to book a delivery slot every seven days. I think I’m on their over 70s list but I have no idea how you get on it. I know I’ve been exceedingly lucky up to now.

Rosalyn69 Sat 02-May-20 09:55:23

I thought the supermarkets had starting releasing slots throughout the day and not just in the middle of the night.

Lillian40 Tue 09-Jun-20 19:39:26

I am 80 live alone, my family are hundreds of miles away and neighbors never speak to each other, i don't have a car anymore, not allowed to use buses or taxis and friends i have have family nearby....I couldn't get a supermarket slot Asda was booked for a month in advance, i tried all the leading supermarkets and the same situation. I was desperate, i needed food and such. I phoned Age UK explained my situation and they sent a lady to collect my shopping list and money, she was wonderful...How has the government forgotten a section of the old generation...I am sure I am one of thousands that the government forgot..Old without transport but not ill..To expect and assume we all have good neighbors or family nearby and leave it at that was disgusting...I am fortunate I can use a computer but everyone doesn't use on....This was a very scary experience to cope with alone....Its sad that society has got so self satisfied, or do I just live in a very unsociable area...I live in a mixed generation street maybe we become invisible when we are old and just one person.

Jane10 Tue 09-Jun-20 19:48:24

Are you on Facebook? Don't be put off it. There are so many local coronavirus support groups around who offer all sorts of useful friendly help. Give them a chance to help you.

Callistemon Tue 09-Jun-20 20:02:26

If you are on FB then message Tesco, if necessary more than once and you should find someone in their customer services dept who will help you, Lillian.
They are the only ones who have been of any use at all.

Waitrose after 9 weeks have finally acknowledged that I need a priority slot - but when I access the link there are still no slots.

Keep persisting with Tesco and, if they ask if you have anyone at all to shop for you the answer you give should be No.
You should then get a slot.
The website is good too.

MamaCaz Tue 09-Jun-20 20:10:54

I'm glad you got that sorted out, NfkDumpling

Tesco slots (and Morrisons) can suddenly appear at any time of the day.
If you are not on their priority list, and don't manage to grab one of the midnight slots, you need to keep checking the site as often as you possibly can. Slots can appear randomly at any time. Sometimes you might strike lucky quite quickly and other times it will take several days at least.

Yesterday I decided that I needed to change the day of an existing slot (just shopping every two weeks isn't working out as well as I had hoped). I started monitoring the site early afternoon. Some unsuitable slots suddenly appeared around 6.30 and were gone in five minutes. Then this morning, at 7.45, some suddenly appeared for one of the days that I wanted, so I was able to grab one.

I had much the same experience on Morrison's site before my mum was on their priority list (except that the only slots we ever had access to then were for the following three days, not three weeks, which reduced even further our chances of getting one.

It can be very time-consuming and take a lot of persistence, but is doable!

ladymuck Tue 09-Jun-20 20:21:14

Lilian40, there are many of us in this situation. There is this assumption that everyone has family and friends to take care of them. It is now coming to light that a number of older people who are alone have died of this virus and no-one has realised!
This is something I worry about.

dragonfly46 Tue 09-Jun-20 22:23:10

NfkDumpling

I’ve done it!!!

Strangely, when I eventually got through, she kept insisting that I had a different screen to the one I had as DH was on their list, and when I re-entered the site - there it was! Delivery is coming on Thursday afternoon!

I now feel really bad for our DC who can’t get slots for love nor money.

The Oldies slot at our local Tesco is really crowded so most people are avoiding it!

I can book an Ocado or Sainsbury every 7 days. I am also on Waitrose and Tesco’s lists but don’t need them.

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 09-Jun-20 23:29:37

kittylester

There seems to be no consistency with some Supermarkets.
You got a Sainsbury's slot because they recognised you were over 70. How did they know this?
We're over 70 and tried for weeks to get a Sainsbury slot but no where could I put our age. Gave up.
I got a Waitrose slot smile- they recognised my age! I didn't them!
Other's commenting on GN couldn't get a Waitrose slot even thought they are over 70.

We are at the supermarkets mercy on this one.

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 10-Jun-20 08:35:37

Woodmouse if you have a supermarket store card, not the credit card one, they will have your DOB on the form when you applied for the card.
A friend is shielded and she had to keep phoning Sainsburys until they told her that, eventually she was on their shielded list, it didn’t matter to them that she was over 70. She had to be on the Government list. Now she gets a weekly slot.

Callistemon Wed 10-Jun-20 09:43:38

We have Waitrose cards. We shopped regularly in store.
They now (eventually) have realised I am on the list
However, they still have no available slots.

Hooray for Tesco!?