Gransnet forums

Technology

Virus protection for new computer

(8 Posts)
ExD Sun 12-Jul-20 19:58:58

I am getting a new computer on Monday, after years and years of second hand ones - usually from family members.
I feel I should make it safe from all the bugs and viruses around and wondered if any of the 'free' ones are good enough.
Are any of them to be recommended, or should I buy a package from Norton or Kaspersky or someone similar? If so which is best? What do you use?

B9exchange Sun 12-Jul-20 20:03:05

I use AVG antivirus, which is free, never had any issues. Don't buy Kapersky, issues with hacking, Norton is okay if you want to pay money, but I have never needed to.

BlueBelle Sun 12-Jul-20 20:04:59

Take its temperature and wash your hands

Pittcity Sun 12-Jul-20 20:42:35

The free ones like AVG are fine. No need to pay.

Pittcity Sun 12-Jul-20 20:45:59

Windows 10 has Windows Defender built in which means you don't need extra virus protection.
Just run it regularly and keep it up to date.

Lovetopaint037 Sun 04-Oct-20 20:00:53

Until I bought Apple I used to use Bullguard. It is British and can be contacted. When I ran a scan it picked up a security issue with my router although previous Norton installations found nothing. It is cheaper than Norton and the best protector I have had. I would have continued buying it but Apple are adamant that I shouldn’t put anti virus on their products.

Marydoll Sun 04-Oct-20 20:19:35

I have both Windows Defender and AVG free.
They have never conflicted.

Get into the habit of good houskeeping. Scan and clear cookies regularly.

Sar53 Sun 04-Oct-20 20:30:28

We have McAfee, £49.99 a year and covers all our devices. Less than £1.00 per week for piece of mind.