Gransnet forums

Technology

Windows 10 updating

(39 Posts)
ExD Thu 16-Jul-20 16:20:25

Is it usual for a laptop update to take over 4 hours, stuck on "just a moment"?
I can't even switch it off, its completely unresponsive. Its Microsoft windows 10 and I'm without my main computer.
Any tips?

Luckygirl Wed 02-Dec-20 12:49:50

I hate these updates as I am not sure who they are intended to benefit. They usually result in annoying changes that I have to get my head around.

Dinosaur, moi!? grin

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 02-Dec-20 12:45:40

When I switched on this morning I just got a photo of a landscape - no icons at all on which to click, what on earth to do? Damnation. I thought I'd have to take it to the shop if they're open and if not bribe a young nephew to help.

In desperation I pressed 'Esc' which I've never done before and lo and behold the almost normal stuff came back and I was able to cope. Phew! Sometimes I feel like going to live in a remote log cabin and having nothing to do with the modern world. Anyone else feel the same way?

Jane10 Mon 30-Nov-20 13:39:23

Phew. Just checked. All done. Looks a bit different but I'll get used to it.

Jane10 Mon 30-Nov-20 13:32:26

Oh dear. I left my PC quietly updating itself. The warning did say that it would take longer to update than usual. I'd better go and check on it...

Missedout Mon 30-Nov-20 13:16:57

I updated my Windows 10 laptop last week. It took me 2 days!

It kept getting stuck at 61% install, for hours ........then nothing. I ran all the various 'fixes', the Windows troubleshooting tool, the command line instructions and so on. I searched online for 'stuck at 61%'. There were suggestions that there were problems with the sound drivers, so I followed instructions and deleted the drivers (to be updated after the update). I ended up with a laptop I couldn't update and without any sound.

Eventually, I 'reset' Windows 10. I stopped caring about whether I lost any files and just did it. It worked and down-loaded the update and I didn't lose any data. But there was still no sound.

Finally, I ran a system health check (through the command line) and I now have an updated W10 laptop with sound.

I have been increasing frustrated with my Windows laptop. I have just updated an iMac and a Macbook Air to their latest operating systems. Each took a couple of hours, showed a bar on the screen with progress and download speed information, and just 'worked' (although, to be fair, I have had problems in the past, but Apple support was really good).

So ExD, you are not alone in your W10 troubles. I wish you luck.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 30-Nov-20 09:15:32

I hope you got things going again. I hate this technical stuff. I stupidly did the same as you ExD never again. I got the ironing done while I waited, then went downstairs to watch telly as I can't just sit at the keyboard waiting for something to happen.

Things came back but not the same. I googled how to get google back and lo and behold it worked! I had to re-enter passwords for GN and MN but got in. I don't use any other websites so my sympathies for you. I'm never pressing that button again.

I want my PC to stay the same. I'm too old for this nonsense.

Davidhs Mon 30-Nov-20 09:01:53

My Windows 10 is a nightmare too only stays connected for short periods and won’t reconnect whatever you do unless you turn off completely. Because it’s a new computer you can’t roll back the updates, now waiting for a LAD adaptor to try without WIFI

Bappimy Mon 30-Nov-20 06:27:42

Before I did the Windows 10 upgrade,i read this.
www.winpwd.com/windows-10-update-problems.html
It summarized some of the problems that may occur during the Windows 10 updating.

Bappimy Mon 30-Nov-20 06:15:27

It is not usual for a laptop update to take over 4 hours,it took me an hour to update on my computer,i did it according to my teacher’s upgrade method, and nothing bad happened.

johnalen Wed 04-Nov-20 10:11:26

The October 2020 Upgrade is right now accessible for select gadgets running Windows 10, adaptation 1903 or afterward who need to introduce the unused discharge. To check on the off chance that it's accessible for you, go to Settings > Overhaul & Security > Windows Upgrade, and tap Check for Overhauls

EllanVannin Sat 18-Jul-20 11:42:13

ExD this very same thing happened to a new laptop I'd only had over 2 years last year, so I bought another, this one which is now 6 months old.

The other one, an Acer was looping the same message about it being a Toshiba driver and this went on for 24hrs. It drove me mad because it wouldn't shift off the screen. In the end I gave it to my GS before I flung it in the bin in temper.
Needless to say he hasn't had time yet to sort it.

I thought the same thing had happened to this one a couple of weeks ago when it froze and was out of action for 3 days but I'd had a new hub still in its box from February and phoned up my ISP who talked me through changing it as we're all fibre here, so hopefully no more nonsense out of it.

The other new laptop didn't respond after Windows updates.

WOODMOUSE49 Sat 18-Jul-20 11:37:04

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeqDXnPKyWo

This explains about how to get rid of the blue screen with windows 10

Can you get youtube up on your phone. Assuming that's what you are using with GN.

Good luck,

ExD Sat 18-Jul-20 11:28:17

The update was introduced in the usual underhand way when I went to turn the machine off. You get the options of Sleep, Shutdown or Restart - I chose shut down, and then it came up with Update and shutdown so tgere was nothingbelse to do.
in the end i went to bed and leftnit running.
in the morning the battery was run down, i plugged it in and BINGO got the normal start screen.
But my login password didnt work.
my
My amazon password was not recognised
my email wouldnt open
Goodness knows how many more sites will have lost their passwords. i confes tonhaving list ofmpasswords and so know i am entering them correctly.

Marydoll Sat 18-Jul-20 09:18:26

ExD, I'm keen to know how you got on!

EilaRose Sat 18-Jul-20 05:20:32

....should have added, that this update restarts several times while installing.

EilaRose Sat 18-Jul-20 05:06:08

If it's the latest Win 10 2004 update it does take quite a while, so I left my laptop plugged into power and went to bed. It was complete next morning.

The same update has not been released for my PC just yet, but if it takes forever then I'll do the same.

Not usually a good idea to turn off during an update so you might need to let it do it's own thing in it's own sweet time.

Dibbydod Fri 17-Jul-20 19:42:41

Ps, wouldn’t recommend you taking the battery out , doubt if it be easy like on a mobile phone ?.

Dibbydod Fri 17-Jul-20 19:41:20

Hi, sound like it’s ‘ froze ‘ so just leave it on till the battery runs out , leave it overnight that be easier , then you can start again from scratch , should be ok then .

Dibbydod Fri 17-Jul-20 19:41:19

Hi, sound like it’s ‘ froze ‘ so just leave it on till the battery runs out , leave it overnight that be easier , then you can start again from scratch , should be ok then .

Nellie098 Fri 17-Jul-20 19:35:41

I found the article about Windows 2004 and this update takes about an hour to complete although the writer states that one pc was stuck on 75% for over half an hour.
It also says as always to back up files but also run the Storage Sense tool to delete temporary files and free up as much space as possible. (just type storage space in the start menu). Also it reminds us that the update turns of System Restore so remember to turn this back on after the download.
Marydoll has gone through all the options to try and restart your laptop. I hope by now your laptop is now running o.k.

Nellie098 Fri 17-Jul-20 17:01:53

Are you trying to install the latest update Windows 10, 2004. This has caused some people numerous problems. I can't find the article I recently read about it but what was advised that you run diskclean before downloading to free up space as this is a large download and yes it can take a few hours.
You don't necessarily currently have to download it and I am not going to attempt to do so until more of the problems have been ironed out. If you can, access the microsoft help page on your phone or some other device and see what actions they advise.

ExD Thu 16-Jul-20 20:42:23

The screen is blank.
On/off button doesn't respond, even when I keep it press it for 30 secs
There is no square windows button

So its impossible to access Settings.
Its impossible to switch the screen off
The battery is not accessible (levono V110)
The screen is blue
Its been like this for 6 hours now, a cor le of dots that was rotating but has now stopped
A message saying 'nust a moment'

The only thing working is the curser arrow but there's nothing to point it at.

Marydoll Thu 16-Jul-20 20:28:04

Here is another fix, if your key board has crashed.

chromecrashes.com/windows-10-keyboard-stops-working/

Beechnut Thu 16-Jul-20 19:25:48

ExD did you try taking the battery out and putting it back in?
I can’t remember exactly what my problem was but I couldn’t do anything not even turn it off so unplugging the lead and taking out the battery for a few minutes is what my SiL told me to do. I didn’t even know where the battery was at the time ?

sharon103 Thu 16-Jul-20 19:07:47

Try pressing and hold down the power button for about half a minute.
Check your Wi-Fi and all cables to make sure they're in firmly or re-boot.
I have a windows 10 laptop and new updates should only take about 3 minutes or so.