Gransnet forums

Technology

Turning older tv into a smart tv via a smart stick (tv now) etc

(21 Posts)
bikergran Fri 23-Oct-20 17:20:26

I am now able to use Netflix via my dd.

But my tv is an older one(not the big bulky ones)

At the moment I have to connect my laptop to my tv via HDMI cable and work Netflix from the laptop.

Am I right in thinking that if I buy a "Now tv " stick and plug into the port of the tv, it will then be a smart tv and I can access Netflix normally.

New tv around £250 versus Smart stick at £40 (£36 with my discount0

Anyone tried this, was it ok ? nothing wrong with my present tv so don't really want to fork out £250

Ilovecheese Fri 23-Oct-20 17:26:20

I will be watching this thread with interest although I am sorry I can't help you.
I have a brand new Sony but can only get BBCIplayer of the free to watch channels. I would like to access ITVHub, UKTV play etc. Have been told I need an Amazon Firestick (I wonder if this is the same sort of thing as a Now TV stick?)

silverlining48 Fri 23-Oct-20 17:27:34

Waiting with bated breath as we are in the same situation biker.

phoenix Fri 23-Oct-20 17:27:56

bikergran, sorry, but it's like Klingon to me! Hope someone more tech savvy than me can help.

We have a non smart TV and use an Amazon Fire stick, that seems to work for us.

FannyCornforth Fri 23-Oct-20 17:29:35

Seconding the fire stick.

petra Fri 23-Oct-20 17:54:29

Ilovecheese
That doesn't seem right. How are you accessing BBC i player.
By that I mean what do you press on your remote. If you press home the whole menu should come up.
On that menu will be apps press that and you should see all apps Press that and everything should come up.

patcaf Fri 23-Oct-20 18:50:03

Fire stick works no problem. But it is an extra control and you need good wifi/broadband. We have it on two bedroom tv's. I would still recommend getting a smart TV if you can afford it. It is just easier.

ayse Fri 23-Oct-20 18:51:38

Now TV does do a smart stick. You can get all the freeview channels plus Now TV. I have an Amazon Fire stick which does the same job. Mine works very well. Check them out on Uswitch. Apparently they have reviewed them.

Missedout Fri 23-Oct-20 18:53:00

I have Roku sticks on two TVs. One on an old Sony and another on a so-called smart Samsung on the wall of the bedroom. Although I could transfer the Rokus between sets, it is inconvenient to reach the bedroom one and I don't consider the Rokus to be very expensive. I sometime move one Roku to the old TV in the kitchen too.

With the Roku, I get BBC iPlayer, ITV hub, Channel 4, My 5, Netflix, Prime Video, Now TV and the Roku Channel among others. I can also send Photos and videos to the Roku to display on screen.

I haven't investigated Firesticks.

bikergran Fri 23-Oct-20 18:53:45

ok well just realized my dad has a tv now stick it plugs into the back of his (none smart tv) and makes it into a smart tv, he has separate remote for the stick, he can now access netflix. Not sure about BBC iplayer .But will check.

If you google smart sticks firestick etc now tv etc etc it will give you info.

MawB2 Fri 23-Oct-20 18:54:55

I think my TV would need a brain transplant to turn it into a smart TV
Maybe it’s not the TV that’s not smart though, might be the owner ??

bikergran Fri 23-Oct-20 18:57:43

All sound pretty similar I supposed the best thing is do a bit of homework just check what the stick ( which ever one you fancy) make sure you can access the programmes/netflix/britbox or what ever it is you watch first, beats having to buy new tv if the one you have is working fine.

I shall now go and browse.

Doodledog Fri 23-Oct-20 18:57:56

I have a NOW TV stick in a spare bedroom, used in an ancient TV, and it's great. The only things you need to check are that there is an HDMI port on the TV (not usb, but similar), and that your internet connection reaches to the room you are using for the TV.

After that, you just plug it in, connect to the wifi and you're off. I get all the catch-up channels, Sky entertainment (for which I pay a small charge), Netflix (billed separately but on the same subscription that we use downstairs) UKTV, YouTube, Sky and BBC News, and a couple of others that I haven't investigated. You can opt for Sky Movies and Sky Sport, but they are another £12 or so each, and I don't see the point for my purposes.

It's more than enough for a bedroom telly, and only cost about £25.

bikergran Fri 23-Oct-20 18:58:57

Maw if its a newish one (slimline, not the old bulky one) then I'm pretty sure it can be done .

bikergran Fri 23-Oct-20 19:06:22

I'm sure you all remember the older tvs, then when Digi channels arrived we all had to go and buy a little freeview box and connect it to our tvs, enabling us to watch the freeview.

This is a little similar, you old tv can be made into a more modern smart tv by adding this little device. If that is any help.

Astral Fri 23-Oct-20 19:11:34

I also have a fire stick, I pay for amazon prime and get prime TV, 6.99 a month and I can also use it to watch Netflix and all services like bbc and channel 4. Amazon prime also gets you free deliveries and music.

I think you have to create an account and start a free trial to first use a now tv stick then remember to cancel all TV packages to carry on using the other services you access through it.

Or that's how it looked when I was choosing which to get

bikergran Fri 23-Oct-20 19:15:07

Astral yes your right, I have just read that you have to initially set up an account then cancel it. Think I may give it a try they have the " now tv sticks" in argos £29.99

Going to check out the firestick now. smile

Ilovecheese Fri 23-Oct-20 19:34:32

Petra my Sony doesn't have that many apps. It has Bbciplayer, Netflix (if you subscribe, which we dont yet) Utube and some strange apps I have never heard of. I wouldn't recommend Sony but didn't know any better as "smart virgin"

mamaa Fri 23-Oct-20 19:40:18

We have a ROKU and deep joy my DH has discovered repeats of Sharpe on UKTV. Now I like Sean Bean ( thinks of Mellors in Lady Chatterley...) as much as the next woman- but all that swashbuckling is a bit wearing- give me a potting shed any day grinwink

fevertree Fri 23-Oct-20 19:45:21

My children use a Google Chromecast stick gadget to watch "Smartly" on their old TV. It cost about £25.

Bigred18 Mon 26-Oct-20 06:48:29

I use a Google Chromecast for all iview programmes and pay $9.99 for Netflix, its great but you need the internet. My tv is pretty basic and is 7 years old. I'm in Australia.