Gransnet forums

Technology

Scams to watch out for.

(11 Posts)
FarNorth Fri 13-Nov-20 22:52:05

www.triodos.co.uk/articles/2020/black-fraud-day---whats-the-deal?utm_source=Service&utm_medium=email&utm_term=&utm_content=Black-Fraud-day-%E2%80%93-what%E2%80%99s-the-deal%3F&utm_campaign=11_2020-Black-Fraud-day-B

This is a link to info on scams, which I got from triodos bank.
It explains some of the things to look out for, to stay safe.

fourormore Sat 14-Nov-20 11:04:26

Thank you FarNorth you may have seen a bit of 'trouble' on some threads recently regarding posters warning about potential scams. Sadly, one lovely poster has now left GN as she got really hurt by very nasty comments.
Personally I feel the more warnings we get, the better!

Although some posters seem to feel that they would never ever fall for these things I feel that we are all are particularly vulnerable during these times and could easily be caught out. Scammers are clever and obviously people do still fall for their tricks or they would give up.

I was thinking of asking GNHQ if we could have a particular place (perhaps a separate forum) where warnings of scams could be put - that way we could warn each other and those who feel above it can ignore it.

A friend of ours was emailed yesterday from the Royal Mail.
It had the full bright red Royal Mail heading etc and read ..

Unsuccessful delivery attempt

Package from:HM Revenue & Customs
Package type:Large letter
Delivery date & time:Friday, 13 November 2020 11:45

We attempted to deliver your package at 11:45 on Friday, 13 November 2020 but no one was available.
Your parcel was returned to our depot and you need to reschedule your package delivery.
Please reschedule your package delivery by pressing 'Reschedule Now' and one of our drivers will attempt to deliver your package.
Reschedule Now (in red)

Thank you,
The Royal Mail Team

He pressed and filled in a form giving his details. After they did not reply he contacted the Royal Mail who told him IT WAS A SCAM. He immediately contacted his bank and credit card suppliers who made them safe. Fortunately he lost no money but now he wants to spread the news so that we are all aware of this potential SCAM which looks so real and conceivable.

Christmas is coming and hopefully we will all be receiving parcels and packets through the post so we need to warn everyone!

Thank you FarNorth and everyone who posts warnings - if it stops just one of us being caught it's worth it!

FarNorth Sat 14-Nov-20 12:22:32

I did see that fourormore and I'm sorry that people were so upset.

I recently got an email from PayPal which was genuine and included a 'click here' button to go to my account and update details.

My card was about to expire and I went to the site in the normal way and updated it.

Avoiding scams isn't helped by the fact that genuine emails include this type of thing, so I think it's best to never click on them.

annsixty Sat 14-Nov-20 12:44:35

I have had two this week from DPD Local saying they have tried for two days to deliver a parcel and I must now reschedule and will be responsible for costs arising.
I hardly go out and my GD is always here,WFH.
I have just deleted them.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 14-Nov-20 13:05:17

We have had six phone calls on our landline three yesterday evening and three between 7.30-8.30am today. Apparently our internet is about to be cut off.

I am still waiting to be arrested for non payment of income tax?

As for all the car accidents I've had well!!!!!! Last time I asked if they meant the one where I was totally plastered or when I got caught smoking a joint whilst on my mobile phone, they hung up on me!!!

dragonfly46 Sat 14-Nov-20 13:11:43

I was furious with my DH recently when I heard him take a call on his phone and then give out his card details. It was the Times asking him for a new card as his had run out. I told him never to do that on a cold call. Fortunately it was genuine but could so easily not have been.

Tweedle24 Sat 14-Nov-20 15:51:32

I block numbers when I get these calls but, the numbers are spoofed anyway so, they use another one. I have now set my phone so that people have to announce themselves before I agree to take the call. I can’t even start to imagine how many calls I now get that are terminated as soon as that system kicks in.
Not foolproof but, it helps.

Gwyneth Sat 14-Nov-20 15:54:34

Thank you for the information FarNorth.

bikergran Sat 14-Nov-20 17:21:19

I had the same Royal Mail email yesterday.

I was almost taken in as I am actually waiting for large letter etc. But then I did wonder where The royal mail got my email from.

I changed my password on my email .

eazybee Sat 14-Nov-20 17:26:29

I had an unusual phone call last night.
A throaty American voice announced: 'I am a clairvoyant, from the Astrological Society and I have a message for you.'
I said 'oh yeah' and regrettably , she rang off.

FarNorth Sat 14-Nov-20 18:02:45

Exactly, dragonfly46.
I don't know why these organisations think it's fine to get people accustomed to doing this, while also telling us not to give out info. confused

I've had the same thing in the past, when I got texts about suspicious activity on my card - they expected me to respond to the text or call the number they gave.
If they'd said 'call us on the number given on your card or statement' I'd have done it sooner instead of ignoring them.

eazybee that's such a shame that she changed her mind about giving you a message that could have been important. smile