Gransnet forums

Technology

Sky Arts on new Smart TV

(16 Posts)
Hejira Thu 17-Dec-20 19:00:37

I have just bought my first Smart TV. It's a Samsung UE32T5300A. I'm not sure if I have made a mistake.

I have recently parted company with Sky subscription services. The channel of theirs I watched the most was Sky Arts which went free to air earlier this year.

I now see that Samsung TVs do not have Freeview Play which I understand is the On Demand and Catch Up service. However a phone conversation with someone at Freeview assured me I should be able to access Sky Arts live programmings via the aerial on channel 11.

I've downloaded the software update for the TV and retuned several times but am still not seeing Sky Arts.

The Freeview website says that you should be able to retune older Samsung sets that have integrated Freeview but don't, as far as I can see, make the distinction between Freeview Play and watching "live" Freeview on a newer set.

I've followed the instructions her for other Samsung models but no luck:

www.freeview.co.uk/help/retune-samsung-tv

Any ideas please?

tanith Thu 17-Dec-20 19:15:46

Sky Arts is on channel 11 on my Samsung smart tv. Do you have something else on that channel? Sorry I’ve no real advice.

Hejira Thu 17-Dec-20 19:49:22

That's where I'm being told it should be but TV guide jumps from channel 9 BBC4, 10 (ITV3) to 12 (Quest), 13 E4 and so on.

Jaxjacky Thu 17-Dec-20 20:45:47

Ça n you use freesat?

Hejira Thu 17-Dec-20 20:53:13

No Freesat box.

tanith Thu 17-Dec-20 22:30:39

That’s a shame but I’m not clever enough to advise apart from retuning which you’ve already done. Could you go to the shop you bought it from and seek advice?

WOODMOUSE49 Fri 18-Dec-20 01:05:30

I found this out about a month ago when wanting to watch Portrait Artist of the Year -Sky Arts

I now understand that Freeview - channel 11 - isn't Sky Arts. It is Freeview Play - channel 11.

My smart TV which I use through my humax doesn't get freeview play, just freeview so I couldn't see the programme. I'd need a newer version of a Humax to get it.

I've even had someone adamantly talk me down on a forum saying Sky Art can be see on Freeview.

However, I did get to watch it through a free 1 month payment for vimeo.

WOODMOUSE49 Fri 18-Dec-20 01:13:50

Just googled about Samsung TVs.
As you've said they can be returned to get Freeview. But the person referring to Channel 11 means Channel 11 on freeview play only. Sorry I'm repeating myself.

Can you take it back? Have you a new recorder (like my Humax) that you can use? They pick up freeview play

Hejira Fri 18-Dec-20 11:08:48

Thank you Woodmouse. That is pointing me in the right direction. With so many TV programmes and movies available to stream I was planning to wait a while to see how I got on without a recording device but Humax could be the way to go. Like you, I enjoy PAOTY.

It's over 15 years since I last bought a TV and the tech had moved on so much since then. I found the range of sets and price ranges baffling. In addition, TVs seem to be in short supply at the moment with a lot of the less expensive models out of stock. I read a review of the different systems, Tizen (Samsung), WebOS (LG) etc with WebOS getting the highest praise. I looked at several online sites but LG sets in my price range were out of stock so I opted for the Samsung. I wanted a Smart TV in place for Christmas viewing.

Other than the Sky Arts issue I'm happy with the set. Between the terrestial channels, BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Britbox, All4 etc there is more than enough content to keep me happy. I doubt I will miss the other Sky channels.

The only other thing which is strange is watching a 32" set where the screen is all there is without any sizeable "frame" around it as with old TVs. It looks very small in the room and the screen icons a tad too small. I think this may be destined for the guest room in a few months time replaced by a larger set (with Freeview Play) but for now I'm happy with this one. It will give me an opportunity to get used to how Smart TVs work. Twenty years accessing content through a Sky box it's very much a novelty and a learning curve at the moment.

Lexisgranny Fri 18-Dec-20 12:59:44

Strangely we used to get Sky News on our Samson Smart TV which is 2 years old, via Freeview, (not Freeview Play) it has since disappeared. However, in our bedroom we have an old (probably 10 years old) ordinary tv which we use in conjunction with an old Humax , and we get it perfectly, excellent picture, much faster searching facility than through the Smart tv, which is disappointingly clunky in comparison.

Nellie098 Fri 18-Dec-20 14:15:33

If you have re-scanned your tv channels automatically, can you try to update manually for this channel. If you look up the details on your local tv mast if gives you all the numbers for the different channels and you enter these in the manual details and update. It is easier than it sounds. What you could also do is to unplug the aerial, re-scan so no channels show, plug it back in and re-scan and I would probably do this first. Hope this helps.

Retiredwell Fri 18-Dec-20 15:14:19

Hejira, on our Samsung smart tv the Freeview channels along with many others are listed under "TV Plus" which is on the home menu when the button on the remote is pressed.

I am not sure that Sky Arts is listed these days on Freeview, but we access that on "Now TV" which is just Sky online so you do not need a satellite dish. It is also much cheaper to have all Sky premium channels that way.

Hope this helps.

Hejira Sat 19-Dec-20 10:04:33

After two days of wondering why I could not receive Sky Arts on channel 11, retuning and seeking advice, this morning it's there! A mystery but now I can watch Portrait Artist of the Year.

Thank you to everyone who has responded to this thread.

tanith Sat 19-Dec-20 10:23:23

Yea! result!

quizqueen Sat 19-Dec-20 13:15:39

I only have a normal freeview tv, no smart nonsense and I found sky arts on channel 803 - with the radio channels prior to BBC 1.

Hejira Sun 20-Dec-20 12:01:09

That's what was puzling me, quizqueen. My very old Freeview set picked up Sky Arts on several channels but this new set wasn't - for a few days anyway.

I am enjoying the Smart TV as it integrates several of the services I used to have to access via separate devices e.g. Netflix and has opened up some new ones courtesy of BT offering six months of Britbox to new broadband customers.