Gransnet forums

Technology

Advice please, TV with headphone socket and simultainiously TV volume

(10 Posts)
Airedale19 Tue 09-Mar-21 18:13:07

jeanie99 you don’t say how small a TV you want. I think that Philips have stopped making 32” ambilight TVs. I think that the smallest Philips ambilight TV is now the 43”.

The 40” Panasonic I mentioned is still for sale at about £545 (4k).

CanadianGran Tue 09-Mar-21 01:43:53

Wow, no advice, but good luck! Technology is wonderful but can be so complicated at times. My DH also has wireless headphones that he has for the garden, hooked up to the small tv in the garden shed. Can't miss a hockey game, especially if his team makes it to the playoffs!

If you go into or call a specialty tv/stereo shop their salespeople are usually well versed in available technology.

jeanie99 Tue 09-Mar-21 00:59:36

I think I forgot to mention my husbands headphones are wireless and he can listen to the TV when he is gardening. The headphone stand is cabled to the TV, the headphones are wireless so no cable.
Does this make a difference.
Airdale could you let me know the models, oh and the headphones are not Bluetooth.
Panasonic gave me a list of TVs which they said would work but when I looked at the spec there wasn't a headphone socket so totally confused.
I tried to ring back but he was not available.
I'll have to try and speak to my son again but he is always so busy working I don't like to bother him.
Thanks everyone I have printed off what you have all said

Airedale19 Thu 04-Mar-21 20:06:11

My TVs have an ordinary 3.5 headphone jack. There’s a separate volume control for headphones and ordinary listening through the TV speakers. I use an extension cable and leave my headphones plugged in all the time. The sound through the headphones is much higher quality and immersive.

Katie59 Thu 04-Mar-21 17:52:33

If the TV has RCA sockets most do - round, red & white, you need an adapter to 3.5mm headphones, Amazon sell them

Airedale19 Thu 04-Mar-21 16:19:48

Philips ambilight TVs do this. I have a 32” and a 43”. A Panasonic 40” does this as well.

jeanie99 Mon 01-Mar-21 17:42:27

MrsHat thank you for your suggestion, hubby said this wouldn't work. He uses the headphones not just for TV but when he is gardening, they are wireless. He likes to listen to the sport when he's busy doing other things.
Welbeck, I did ring John Lewis some days ago but their only suggestion was to find TVs which have the headphone socket and ring up each company to ask if we could get simultaneous use.
Something else which as just cropped up when I rang Panasonic was: a couple of models which they think will work, are Android TVs.
I had heard of Android but wasn't sure what it was. My son tells me this is an operating system so the headphones would need to be compatible.
I am so confused by all this. To think 51 years ago(on the 7th March) when my husband and I got married we didn't even have a phone and neither did our family or friends.
If you think of anything else which might help me I'd welcome it.

mrshat Sun 28-Feb-21 15:30:16

Have a word with whoever provided your husband's hearing aids. I wear aids and I now have a gadget that plugs into the TV. It is just an 'on/off' button with a volume control. Once it is set up you just switch on the TV as per normal and then the 'hearing aid gadget'. Your husband will have his usual volume and you can have whatever you like. If you are not there the TV control can be down to zero.
I'm sorry I don't know the technical names but his hearing aid provider should.

I would imagine it could depend on the type of hearing aids he wears.

Hopefully, this might help a little - if it does not completely confuse you!!!

welbeck Sun 28-Feb-21 15:25:28

i would contact john lewis and ask them.
i have always found them v informative, even to the extent of advising me not to purchase something...because of an aspect i had not thought of. no hard sell at all.
good luck.

jeanie99 Sun 28-Feb-21 15:21:39

My husband is hard of hearing, needs two hearing aids.

Our lounge TV which we bought about 3 years ago works for us because hubby can use his headphones which has a volume control and I listen to the TV at my level.

We need to purchase a small TV for our bedroom and I am finding it difficult to find a TV which allows him to use his headphones and me to have the volume I want.
I have been told that the new TVs shut off the volume to the TV if headphones are used.

My question is does anyone know of a TV which allows what we need.
I have made so many phone calls to different companies without anyone saying they can help.

Someone did mention if the TV has the headphone jack I can purchase a device which will independently allow sound to come from the device but I didn't understand what he was talking out.

I am not techie at all and neither is hubby so just wanted some advice on how to go about getting my head around this.
The last thing we want to do is purchase the wrong TV.

Any help advice or suggestions on this would be very much appreciated.