Gransnet forums

Technology

Advice about Apple Mac

(12 Posts)
Keettiie Sun 28-Nov-21 07:34:39

Oh, I can only help you on how to convert scanned or protected PDF to text easily and without any problems. I stumbled upon this forum screenshot to text by chance, where everything is very informatively written, and decided maybe someone might need it in their work, especially for those who have a MacBook. It turns out it's not as difficult as I could imagine heh ...

Blossoming Wed 21-Apr-21 21:54:43

Doodledog

I said this two posts up

Actually, you didn’t. The OP is using Mac pages, not Word, I have given a link to the instructions for doing this in Pages on a Mac.

Doodledog Wed 21-Apr-21 21:41:25

Blossoming

It sounds like you’re getting a page break rather than a line break. Are you perhaps double clicking?

I suggest turning on the invisibles, these are the formatting symbols that tell you what’s determining the layout. Instructions to do this can be found on Apple support. You may have inadvertently changed the default paragraph setting.

If you can tell us what the invisible symbol is maybe one of us can help further. ?

support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/pages/tan322bf978a/11.0/mac/1.0

I said this two posts up grin.

Blossoming Wed 21-Apr-21 20:37:52

It sounds like you’re getting a page break rather than a line break. Are you perhaps double clicking?

I suggest turning on the invisibles, these are the formatting symbols that tell you what’s determining the layout. Instructions to do this can be found on Apple support. You may have inadvertently changed the default paragraph setting.

If you can tell us what the invisible symbol is maybe one of us can help further. ?

support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/pages/tan322bf978a/11.0/mac/1.0

cornergran Wed 14-Apr-21 08:03:06

If all else fails why not use the Apple help facility? An on-line or telephone chat will sort it I’m sure. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve contacted them about simple things, always sorted with remarkable patience and good humour.

Doodledog Tue 13-Apr-21 17:02:00

In Word, if there is a problem, I always switch on the option to see line returns (see screenshot), so if you have a page break or something getting in the way I am usually able to work out what it is. Have you tried that?

Cunco Tue 13-Apr-21 14:54:25

Septima: I feel your pain. Having converted to Mac 8 years ago, I now find my wife's PC impossible to deal with especially when she has an issue which is driving her to distraction and I am asked to provide a solution.

Septimia Tue 13-Apr-21 14:36:50

I also would suggest checking the page layout.

You could check how the page margins are set, too.

I much prefer my Mac, and Pages, to a PC and Word - I've just been trying to solve a problem in Word for someone else using DH's PC and it's b****y impossible!

Cunco Tue 13-Apr-21 14:28:01

Just a thought. I have a Mac but I am no expert. Are you using a template you have used before without getting this issue? If not, check the page layout you are using now to make sure it does not impose a large space at the bottom of the page which inadvertently allows only one paragraph.

If you have a similar document you have created previously, you might try loading it, re-naming it, saving the re-named document and clearing it before using the empty template again for your current document. If that works, save this layout as a named template to use in future.

I hope this helps but as I say, I am not an expert, just another occasional Mac sufferer.

Baggs Tue 13-Apr-21 14:06:09

Not sure, mrsmopp, as I've never had that problem but maybe if you go to the place (top right of document on my mac) and have a look at what's in "Format" and "Document" you'll find something you can tick or untick.

midgey Tue 13-Apr-21 13:41:35

I can’t help but have you tried Googling?

mrsmopp Tue 13-Apr-21 13:09:11

The Mac is playing up and I hope someone can tell me how to fix this glitch. I’m typing a document in Pages and when I click Return to start a new paragraph the curser jumps to a new page instead. I’m sure there is a simple fix for this. Please help!