Gransnet forums

Technology

Has anyone had this trouble? Scam or mistake!

(7 Posts)
Blossoming Wed 09-Jun-21 13:15:14

Reported. Spam.

MillyStoune1 Wed 09-Jun-21 12:58:35

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Lovetopaint037 Thu 15-Apr-21 12:36:07

Thank you Blossoming.. I am going to tell them to do exactly that. I too thought the bank had made some kind of mistake.

Blossoming Thu 15-Apr-21 10:23:16

Suggest they run a full scan on their laptop in case it has been targeted by any malware that might be causing the pop up messages. If it’s a Windows laptop they should also make sure that any Windows updates have been installed as these often include security fixes. The problem with the payment sounds like an error by the bank.

Lovetopaint037 Thu 15-Apr-21 10:14:45

Thank you vampirequeen. Yes they rang the bank and the information about the apparent email and the payment information was sent to them by the bank. It was asking them if they wished to dispute which they are doing. The strange thing is that the bank paid it and these intermittent flashes of some kind of notifications on their lap top that didn’t allow enough time to read them. It’s something to do with Google Play. Thank you again.

vampirequeen Thu 15-Apr-21 08:57:07

If she's never signed up then it's a scam of some sort. She needs to contact her bank again. Get any payments stopped and talk to the bank fraud department.

Lovetopaint037 Thu 15-Apr-21 08:51:16

My sister in law has had trouble which I have never heard of before. I can’t help so am asking for help on here. They have received momentary emails from Google which flash on and off before they can read them. They have never had a gmail account. Then a sum of £14.90 was taken from their bank account. They queried this as it supposedly from Google Play for an annual subscription which was the result of a free months trial. The bank have sent them this information. The Google account was attached to an email which is not hers although her name is reversed so surname and then first name plus a number. Also the last 4 digits of the visa account quoted as the method of payment do not relate to any card in their possession. Yet the bank have taken the amount and how they don’t know. They are elderly and only do basic technology. They have one yahoo email and no internet banking, no smart tv, no tablet but possess a smart phone but don’t download apps other than WhatsApp. No way have they ever set up a Google account of any kind. They have been asked if they want to dispute this which they are doing but are very upset. They rang me to ask how a Google account is set up. I told them but am at a total loss as to how the bank could have removed the annual fee if it wasn’t connected to their correct account number. I was just hoping that someone might have an idea other than fraud which was my first thought. However, how on earth was the bank connected to this visa account which they do not have. Wonderful if anyone can help.