Gransnet forums

Technology

How do you keep your iPhone 12 Pro Max charged up while using Waze in the car?

(5 Posts)
Lovetopaint037 Mon 28-Jun-21 11:27:11

Hello folks. Do you have any idea how best to do this? Looked on the internet and it says to be careful as putting it in the cigarette lighter place can ruin it! I usually use a Tom Tom and for that it comes with an adapter which fits into the cigarette lighter. Need to go on a journey which is easier to find on Waze but concerned that it will use up my battery. Also I have 2.9 gbs data left for a 2 hour journey. Any idea if that is enough? Hoping someone has experience of this. Thank you.

Tizliz Mon 28-Jun-21 12:09:03

inews.co.uk/essentials/lifestyle/cars/car-news/google-maps-driving-lose-licence-fine-someone-elses-phone-laws-385896

You have to be careful using an app on your phone whilst driving.

Lovetopaint037 Mon 28-Jun-21 13:08:30

Thank you Tizliz. That is something to think about. I wasn’t intending to be driving while looking at it as dh would be driving and I relay information to him by reiterating instructions and telling him how many more yards before turning etc. That is how we manage with the sat nav. In fact I usually hold it. My grandson has his phone attached by a magnet to his air vent!

Saxifrage Mon 28-Jun-21 13:08:49

I have used my iPhone and google maps for some years as a satnav with no problems. I bought a plug that fits into the cigarette lighter and provides the usual usb connection for the phone. It looks as if apple sells a suitable plug in their shops. If you have a holder to fit the phone onto the window/dashboard this is perfectly safe and legal.

This quote is from their website:-

Subject to following Apple's guidance, car chargers are not harmful to iPhone. When using electronic accessories with your iPhone, Apple advises ensuring that they are either genuine Apple products or that they have been certified as Made for iPhone under the MFi program.

Lovetopaint037 Mon 28-Jun-21 13:49:16

Thank you so much Saxifrage I will head into an Apple store on Thursday to get one. Having paid a fortune for my iPhone 12pro max I certainly do t want to ruin it for the sake of a bit extra. I will also investigate a proper holder for it.