Gransnet forums

Technology

Broadband deals/suppliers, need to renew contract but plusnet not offering me very good deal.

(12 Posts)
bikergran Fri 30-Jul-21 20:21:04

Been with Plusnet for yrs and yrs, I am on a rolling contract now, so ready to upgrade or change suppliers.

Plusnet seems bit pricey now(unless you are a new customer)

There are other better deals (at least £10 a month less) but I have never heard of most of these other suppliers.

Just wondering if anyone has taken a chance with the new boys in town.

Plusnet offering me £27.20 per month line only and unlimited fibre.

Others are offering similar but around £10 or more less. hmm

Liz46 Fri 30-Jul-21 20:43:35

I'll be interested in this as I am in the same position. We also have two mobiles with Plusnet.

bikergran Fri 30-Jul-21 20:48:23

My mobile is only £6.50 a mnth but that is because I am a Plusnet customer with Broadband(you get it reduced)

So If I was to split from plusnet with my broadband I would have to pay little more on my mobile monthly.

Other companies on MLewis website are offering much cheaper deals for broadband.

I've been with them for as long as I can remember, but then again it is like car insurance, loyalty doesn't pay.

Grannynannywanny Fri 30-Jul-21 20:59:46

bikergran I would suggest you write down details of a few of the best deals you can find then phone your current supplier and invite them to match it to avoid you leaving. I did this recently with my o2 mobile contract. I researched via uSwitch and o2 immediately matched it when I politely said I would be moving on if they couldn’t reduce my bill.

I have a superfast broadband, landline and tv package with Virginmedia. They were also open to negotiation when I selected the “thinking of leaving” option when I phoned.

They are banking on customers being too busy to do this but I’ve always found it worthwhile. Be armed with the info you need when you phone. Good luck!

bikergran Fri 30-Jul-21 21:05:29

Granny yes may be worth a phone call as I did it on the live chat which can be a bit automated at times.

I hate swapping and changing (bit like insurance) but of course we need to sometimes to install a better deal.

Will give them a ring this week sometime.

MissAdventure Fri 30-Jul-21 21:31:40

I'm in the process of changing almost everything to the utilities warehouse.
I feel so stressed out about it I want to back out.
I can't bear it, all this chopping and changing. sad

Grannynannywanny Fri 30-Jul-21 21:50:42

I find the live chat useless. When you phone don’t be put off by any prerecorded message about waiting time, best to deal with it online etc. Select the “thinking of leaving option” if there is one. Or when a call handler comes on the line ask to speak to the retentions team. They are the ones who have the authority to offer good deals to hold onto customers. I read that a few years ago on Martin Lewis website and it usually has a good outcome.

Charleygirl5 Fri 30-Jul-21 22:32:03

I have been with Plusnet for years for TV, wi fi etc and I pay £19 something a month. I pay a fiver for my mobile but I want to change from Plusnet for that because I get next to nothing for it.

Have you asked Plusnet about the change in price?

Esspee Fri 30-Jul-21 22:55:06

bikergran Don’t worry about your mobile costs. I went with MSE suggestion and have unlimited U.K. calls and texts, 100 min International calls and 3GB data with Lebara for £5 per month. That’s enough for most people.

bikergran Sat 31-Jul-21 09:47:12

That sound a good deal Charleygirl I havn't spoke to anyone yet, Its on my "list of things to do along with BGas"

timetogo2016 Sat 31-Jul-21 09:54:19

I planned to move from Virgin media to TalkTalk and save £22 per month.
I phoned Virgin to cancell my contract and after a good old chat Virgin price matched TalkTalk for 18months.

bikergran Sat 31-Jul-21 18:44:41

Well done timetogo that is a big! saving over a year! smile