Gransnet forums

Technology

what is a Chromebook, Asus C523N

(38 Posts)
welbeck Fri 08-Apr-22 16:30:34

can anyone explain to me what is the difference between a chromebook and a laptop.
someone has offered me one. i use a very old laptop that someone cast off. it cuts out a lot, but i am used to it.
i don't understand anything about computers. don't have a smartpone. or a printer.
i'm thinking i should thank the gifter and return it to them so they can get a refund. so i don't want to open it. chromebook.

crazyH Fri 08-Apr-22 16:34:33

You lucky thing - I would accept it with grace and ask the ‘giver ‘ to set you up and give you a lesson or two. I don’t know much about Chromebooks, but I’m sure someone who knows will come along and offer advice. Good luck

welbeck Fri 08-Apr-22 16:40:54

unfortunately the person who gave it to me knows even less than i do. and is not very literate. someone helped them to order it for me, but that person is not accessible to me.
i could probably find someone else to initially help get it going,
but i would thereafter be almost totally alone.
and there are lots of things i find too difficult.
the bank wrote saying would have to have extra authorisation to use cards, with a code sent to online/phone banking. i don't do those and don't want to. it is all very stressful. i have a basic mobile phone, pay as you go, and that suits me. i rarely use it.

Jaxjacky Fri 08-Apr-22 16:56:23

Unfortunately, or not, it’s the way things are going. Extra security for financial transactions is welcome with so many scams.
There may be a voluntary group, or perhaps a local scouts group who could help with the Chromebook?>

Grayling Fri 08-Apr-22 17:13:06

If you are being offered one free I would grab it with both hands!!! I think it will be an Acer. I bought my first one about 9yrs ago on the advice of my DSIL who works in technology. I loved it but after 7yrs I needed to renew it (which I thought was pretty good value) but a local supplier recommended a second hand one at a much reduced priced and transferred everything over for me and it has been great. I don't have a smart phone either (much to the disgust of my family) as I don't want to carry a computer about in my pocket!! I think people are too dependent on them and it's not that I'm afraid of technology - I was the first in a large accountancy practice to have a stand alone computer back in the 70's and within a year the whole office was networked and I could cope with that but my flip phone and my Acer are sufficient for my needs. I admit to spending too much time on it but I use it for internet banking, book holidays, hotmail etc, etc and of course GRANSNET!!!!

kittylester Fri 08-Apr-22 17:24:38

I gave mine to my bil and bought a new laptop. I found the transition too difficult and I'm fairly OK with te hnology. And I love my smart phone.

BlueBelle Fri 08-Apr-22 17:25:14

I ve never used a chrome book but I’d learn You can Google all sorts of YouTube advise to take you through things bit by bit

Also some places do lessons free we had some free courses at the library my friend went to when she got an iPad

Take it for sure Do you have grandkids ? They d teach you

welbeck Fri 08-Apr-22 17:41:41

kittylester

I gave mine to my bil and bought a new laptop. I found the transition too difficult and I'm fairly OK with te hnology. And I love my smart phone.

this is what i'm concerned about.
it's not so much how to use it but whether i would find it too different from what i am used to.
it is definitely an Asus C523NA, just checked the box.
i don;t want to open it, because i'm wondering if i'd be better to buy a laptop.
i didn't expect this gift. i feel it might be wasted. if i don't open it the purchaser can still return it.
i'd rather have a second hand laptop.
this one is windows 7. freezes often. the original owner needed it for reports and meetings. i don't.
what exactly is the pro and cons versus a laptop.

welbeck Fri 08-Apr-22 17:51:33

looking at an illustration, i notice the touchpad doesn't have the left/ right click sections. so how does that work. i;m used to those.
i have poor short term memory now.
and the keys seem to be further away from the bottom edge.
i can't understand any of the meaning of its attributes.

crazyH Fri 08-Apr-22 17:53:06

Try Googling ‘Laptop versus Chromebook’ and you will get the answers you’re looking for

welbeck Fri 08-Apr-22 17:55:18

i've just read that its screen is a glare magnet.
i already have eye strain.
most of its good points seem to be its looks. which i don't care about.

welbeck Fri 08-Apr-22 18:01:24

crazyH

Try Googling ‘Laptop versus Chromebook’ and you will get the answers you’re looking for

i've tried that but i can't understand the language.
it talks of a skinned laptop. operating systems. too technical.
i just hoped someone who has used both could explain any pros and cons they found.
real experience rather than theory.
the reviews say its lighter, more portable. my present one does not work on battery at all, has to be plugged in. something about google apps, whcih i don't understand.
i think i'll give up.

sf101 Fri 08-Apr-22 18:03:35

I bought myself a Chromebook before Christmas as my desk top computer was getting sluggish.
It is brilliant very fast and great for all the things I do on the internet. I don't do work on it or keep loads of files so don't know how good it is for that.
It is very simple to use but you sound as if you need to find some lessons to help you get confident with it. My advice would be keep it and find the help you need to get going with it.

silverlining48 Fri 08-Apr-22 18:05:12

Don’t give up Welbeck, there must be somewhere who can advise. Afraid I am no wiser than you and don’t have a clue. Sorry.

Allyoops Fri 08-Apr-22 18:08:02

We have had Chromebooks for about 8 years and, for me, are so very much better than laptops! DH and I have one each as they are much better value than a laptop (under £200) and older versions are often on special offer.
The best part is that they are instant and fast, compared to a laptop, which can chug slowly. This is because nothing is stored on a Chromebook's memory. I log into my Google account and can access everything a laptop can. It's all stored on Google. I can email, use Word and files, do all my accounts, access my apps, read GN etc. It's extra secure as it is opened by password and nothing stored.
I can really recommend one - I'm sure there is tuition available if needed, maybe at a local library.
Welbeck the eye strain isn't really a problem as the screen can be adjusted easily with variable brightness/font size etc.

welbeck Fri 08-Apr-22 18:24:22

what does that mean, nothing is stored.
i keep a lot of websites open or on favourites, so i can find them easily again.
would i be able to do that.
what doesn't it store.
i do a lot of looking things up. if i hear a name on the radio, ill check where they come from. i got involved with poor lena zavaroni last night.
i watch youtubes of indian and pakistani villagers. they cheer me up. they are lovely characters.
i send emails. not much. but i check inbox.
i read news. and these GN, MN, health advice etc.

welbeck Fri 08-Apr-22 18:37:06

someone i try to help has an ipad. i try to search or things she needs, services etc.
i find the ipad v difficult to use. apart from being small, trying to search for things seems complicated. maybe she doesn't know how to use it properly, but i've heard other people say it can be difficult.
the screen on hers is even smaller to read because her emails are always open on the left hand side.
i find it depresses me, i usually give up on her ipad and have to come back to base to try to find the information via this laptop.
so i'm wary of having the same sinking feeling trying to get on with a chromebook.

Keeleklogger Fri 08-Apr-22 19:15:23

A laptop or Macbook has a hard drive to physically store your files. In addition, a Windows laptop or MacBook allow you to store your files online in the cloud. You can save files online, for example on Google Drive, but you can also choose an alternative, such as Dropbox or OneDrive.

On a Chromebook, you automatically save documents, photos, and videos to Google Drive. Since Chrome OS is specifically laid out for this, a Chromebook often has limited offline storage. That's why you receive 100GB of free online storage when you buy a Chromebook. You'll always have the option to buy extra storage or use other storage services on your Chromebook, like DropBox.

Allyoops Fri 08-Apr-22 19:18:48

welbeck No unnecessary files are stored on the Chromebook, which is why it is so fast to access. Any content you want is stored on the websites/apps you are using. Just sign in with your Google account and all your websites/favourites are instantly there. You will still be able to Google whatever subject you like, just the same as a laptop. YouTube, news, health advice and email are just the same too. I used iPads at work - Chromebooks have a much larger screen.
Are you anywhere near a store that sells them? If so, maybe you could ask for a demonstration.

welbeck Fri 08-Apr-22 19:41:50

Ally, when you say sign in with google accont, is that the same a gmail sign in.
Keele, sorry but i cannot understand much of that.
that's the problem, when i read reviews etc.
i don;t know what it means.

Allyoops Fri 08-Apr-22 19:58:47

welbeck you can choose your own password so you might prefer to use your gmail one. Once the Chromebook is set up it really is just like a laptop. Maybe someone can sit with you whilst you get it started - it only takes 10 minutes or less. You will just need your Google account/gmail details and your wifi log in/password.

Missedout Fri 08-Apr-22 20:14:51

Age UK website says it offers IT help/support. It wouldn't hurt to phone them to find out. The U3A also provide basic courses on computing.

Elegran Fri 08-Apr-22 20:26:49

Ask around your local area. A lot of places offer one-to-one help with setting up devices and tuition in how to use them, and can explain all the things you don't understand. Libraries often have beginners computer literacy lessons, but they are not the only places - secondary schools sometimes even have them with teenage pupils showing elderly people how to get the most out of their laptops, Chromebooks etc. Good for the youngsters!

TheodoraP Fri 08-Apr-22 20:35:02

youtu.be/c-1zMFp1iCY

welbeck Sat 09-Apr-22 06:37:59

thank you Theodora.
from that, it seems my type of usage would suit a chromebook.
but what i am really concerned about is whether i could not get on with it, and then the generous gift would be wasted.
so i haven't opened the box. so the purchaser can still get their money back. i would feel bad if i have to revert to this old laptop, and what would i say to the gifter.
thanks to the various suggestions but i don't think people here understand my issue. i don't go about much.
i rely on internet for information and mental stimulation.
i have v low income. i just about manage. so i know the value of money esp to those who have little.
frankly i wish she had not given it to me. it is too generous.